Quantcast

Whislter alternative

Petite Fluer

Monkey
May 18, 2005
Arizona
Whistler is great! But, I want to ride some place new after a couple of days there. Has anyone been to Mt. Washington or Sunpeaks? How are they? Any info would be great!
Bonjour:monkeydance:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Whistler is great! But, I want to ride some place new after a couple of days there. Has anyone been to Mt. Washington or Sunpeaks? How are they? Any info would be great!
Mt Wa was killer a few years back. Since then, I'm sure its only gotten better. Only real downer is that its so far away and you have to take a ferry there.

Never rode Sunpeaks, but i hear its cool. More RAW.....

Hows the desert sun treating you?

Petite Fluer

Monkey
May 18, 2005
Arizona
How far is the drive up there from Seattle?
The desert is good...limited to 5am or 7pm rides right now but Flagstaff is off the chain man. DH trails are better than ever. Tons of dirtbiking to...not really missing Washington for anything other than the riding. Hows Capital Forest dude?

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Have not been to Mt. Washington,but I will tell you I think SunPeaks is worth at least one trip there.Typically it will be dusty,longer runs than lower Whistler but not as long as Garbonzo to base,not as many runs but more every year,very low key and on weekends there might be half a dozen people in line,most trails I would rate on the level of blue in comparison to Whistler.Hope that helps

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I didnt like Sun Peaks. They have some crazy steep trails though. Steeper than anything on Whistler. Silver Star is my favorite. Panorama, Fernie, Kicking Horse are all sweet. Take your pick.

Local Whistler and Pemberton trails are sick.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
I didn't like Sun Peaks either when I was there. The trail system was kind of convoluted, the trails were really dusty, and the lift was absolutely crap. I don't know if its always this way but when we were there only 1 out of every 4 chairs would be used for bikes and the lifts were running super slow. On top of all that the chair was constantly stopping so the old sightseer's could get on and off. It made the ride to the top almost unbearable, especially, when you're used to the lifts at Whistler or Silverstar. I will agree they had some of the most tech trails I've ridden, very steep, rocky, and loose. Two out of our group of five had day ending injuries while we were there.

Petite Fluer

Monkey
May 18, 2005
Arizona
Steep sounds good! But the chair sounds like a pain. Might have to hit Mt. Washington as it looks pretty fun and I get to ride on the ferry. Tres Bien!!

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
I didn't like Sun Peaks either when I was there. The trail system was kind of convoluted, the trails were really dusty, and the lift was absolutely crap. I don't know if its always this way but when we were there only 1 out of every 4 chairs would be used for bikes and the lifts were running super slow. On top of all that the chair was constantly stopping so the old sightseer's could get on and off. It made the ride to the top almost unbearable, especially, when you're used to the lifts at Whistler or Silverstar. I will agree they had some of the most tech trails I've ridden, very steep, rocky, and loose. Two out of our group of five had day ending injuries while we were there.
I still think it is worth a least one visit.My experience with the chair was fine,it is long and yes would stop maybe twice.If you want,do the lower BC tour.Does Red Mt.still have riding?,Kicking Horse,SilverStar,SunPeaks and finish it off with Whistler.That was a plan I had last year except we were skiping the Horse,but a trip ending crash on my second run at SilverStar sent us home.I do need to back there,I owe some people some brew.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
CAp is great. THeres a strong bike group finally thats doing a ton to improve the trails. They plan a new trail system soon with even DNR approved "Light DH" style stuff.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Petite, the trails at Mt Washington are epic. Loamy, steep, techy with good dirt and flow to boot. Last time I was there 2 seasons ago, the jumpy A-line-ish trails were expanded and had been improved from the overshoot, buck, not clear at all, steep, round randomness that was the norm the first time I visited. Who knows the jumps may even be approaching Whistler's brilliance by now. However if your are looking to soil your petals in the local night life, the only place to go is the bar at the base lodge which might get boring fast. Oh yeah horror story: First time we went to Mt WA some event was going on on the Island and we didn't reserve a ferry for the way back...7 hr ferry wait. 2nd time the wait was minimal. FYI Reserving ferries ($15-20) is nonrefundable and is an additional charge on top of the standard fare.

Petite Fluer

Monkey
May 18, 2005
Arizona
Thanks for the info dude. I'm debating whether to skip Whistler an just ride Mt. Washington or not. How is the camping in the area there?
7hr Ferry wait? That would definitely harsh my mellow :bonk:

PKPK

Chimp
Mar 18, 2008
Look into Silver Mt. in Kellogg Idaho, They have a 20 minute gondola ride up to the top of the mountain and then 3100' of vertical to ride down. silvermt.com