Quantcast

Whistler..Day1

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
I didnt see a post, so I thought I would comment on Day1.

Sick! Conditions were ideal.

Aline was tacky, and fast. All tables were just great. A couple of changes here and there, including the entrance, where the ladder drop has been modified slightly (and I mean slightly) to look bigger. Besides that, just a couple of changes to make it faster. DM was a tad rough and ungroomed, however still plenty of fun. The step-up, that connects DM to Aline, is bigger...takes a little more speed to get up it now.

I thought Schleyer has had a fair bit of work done to it...to make it even faster! However they filled in some of the tranny to the 5-6 foot rock drop...now its more like 3-4 feet.

I think all the trails were open...except for L Whistler Downhill, which opened on Sunday.

Long lift lines at times, as it was a big turnout, however everybody had a smile on their face at the bottom.

The biker X course is going to be massive. Looks like they will be done with it by next week...however the tables and burms are HUGE. Same style as last year, with lots of tricky sections.

Oh and there is a pro course this year, that you have to sign a waiver to ride.
I believe most of the pro course stuff, will be in the boneyard, including the 30foot trail gap, out of the trees.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Definitely some good riding this weekend! I'm not sure if Lower Whistler DH was closed Sat due to trail conditions or the bear that set up camp near the trail...but when it was open Sun I took a run on it and it was in pretty rough shape...still fun as hell though :D

Trails were in great condition....Crack Addict was mostly dry and super fun. It was great to ride the National course dry....haven't gotten the opportunity to do that much. We even ventured onto Lower Joyride...I seriously need to learn to ride the 2 ladders on that trail because the rest of it is fun as hell.

The one modification that I'm not to fond of that they did last year was sending A-Line down (the trail formerly known as) Hornet. I can't tell you how many times I had to dodge dillholes in the trail where A-Line veers off to the left and Hornet continues. Ah well, good thing I can yell loud enough to let 'em know I'm coming :D

Can't wait to get back up there!

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Velocity Girl said:
The one modification that I'm not to fond of that they did last year was sending A-Line down (the trail formerly known as) Hornet. I can't tell you how many times I had to dodge dillholes in the trail where A-Line veers off to the left and Hornet continues. Ah well, good thing I can yell loud enough to let 'em know I'm coming :D
I know what you mean! It seemed like every time I went through that section it was all balled up on the rock slab in Hornet...I had to yell many many times! :rolleyes: Funny how a little technical spot can get riders so spooked! ;) I love being able to hall a** through that section! It's fun.

stacy1

Chimp
Sep 14, 2004
OFF 410
Five and I went up Saturday, I couldn't believe how smooth A-line was, cannot wait until freight train opens!! Conditions couldn't have been much better for end of April.
Good Times!!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
We went up on sunday. I had a great 3 runs util I broke my hand. I'm going to the dr this afternoon tosee how bad it is. It's hard to type with one hand!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
MUTOLI said:
I know what you mean! It seemed like every time I went through that section it was all balled up on the rock slab in Hornet...I had to yell many many times! :rolleyes: Funny how a little technical spot can get riders so spooked! ;) I love being able to hall a** through that section! It's fun.
Even worse when it's wet because then everyone starts sliding out!
People falling or having problems with the section isn't quite as bad as the dorks up there who don't know proper trail etiquette (you would think not standing in the middle of the trail would be common sense :rolleyes: )

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Velocity Girl said:
Definitely some good riding this weekend! I'm not sure if Lower Whistler DH was closed Sat due to trail conditions or the bear that set up camp near the trail...but when it was open Sun I took a run on it and it was in pretty rough shape...still fun as hell though :D

Trails were in great condition....Crack Addict was mostly dry and super fun. It was great to ride the National course dry....haven't gotten the opportunity to do that much. We even ventured onto Lower Joyride...I seriously need to learn to ride the 2 ladders on that trail because the rest of it is fun as hell.

Can't wait to get back up there!
Please tell me hornet is still there. That was actually my favorite part to riding a-line haha

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
buildyourown said:
We went up on sunday. I had a great 3 runs util I broke my hand. I'm going to the dr this afternoon tosee how bad it is. It's hard to type with one hand!
****ty buzz. Hopefully you are a quick healer.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Velocity Girl said:
Even worse when it's wet because then everyone starts sliding out!
People falling or having problems with the section isn't quite as bad as the dorks up there who don't know proper trail etiquette (you would think not standing in the middle of the trail would be common sense :rolleyes: )
:) Yeah, I had racer in the middle of the race course! Ended up costing me a few seconds, which really sucked since the person that got first beat me by less then a second!!! RRRR!

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Whistler was sooo much fun - got my season pass so I'm good to go again and again. Good to see all the PNW folk up there. I love that section of A-line in Hornet, hauling right between the trees - slow down for the first table, crank for the big one, slam on the brakes for the third then it's just a GLC drop before you get back in line and do it all over again.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Five said:
Whistler was sooo much fun - got my season pass so I'm good to go again and again. Good to see all the PNW folk up there. I love that section of A-line in Hornet, hauling right between the trees - slow down for the first table, crank for the big one, slam on the brakes for the third then it's just a GLC drop before you get back in line and do it all over again.
Man, I scared the crap out of myself once on the first table...over shot it, by alot (Velocity Girl was behind and had the same problem) we were both pretty happy we landed it without totally waxing it. Does the second one still have the really long fade away landing! I love that one...

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
i also dislike how they routed a-line into hornet. they should come down the little valley you ride above when doing the newer hornet entry. The addition of the hornet section to a-line sort of ruins that flow, and the a-line traffic ruins hornets flow.... oh well......

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I wish they could transplant hornet. Thats was my first real trail on the mountain, I am attached to it haha. That rock face has some good crash memories.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
We rallied up Saturday night with C-Dale to ride on Sunday. Got to Guest services early and got our passes with no wait. The mountain was sooooo' good. I was shocked to see it was dusty up there! We were all expecting it to be pouring down rain, but suprise, suprise.

The trails were in pretty good shape. No bomb holes on the lips or landings and not alot of braking bumps yet. The thing that kills me is do people know that when you get off the chair and pedal over to the start of A- line that there are a bunch of killer trails just a short ways up the hill past the gondola? I swear to god A-line looked like a line of worker ants leaving the ant hill! Well I am sure they all learned how to do cross ups!

I really think Whistler isn't the same when you can't ride the upper mountain. Oh' well, I guess you can't have it all.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
holliswood said:
We rallied up Saturday night with C-Dale to ride on Sunday. Got to Guest services early and got our passes with no wait. The mountain was sooooo' good. I was shocked to see it was dusty up there! We were all expecting it to be pouring down rain, but suprise, suprise.

The trails were in pretty good shape. No bomb holes on the lips or landings and not alot of braking bumps yet. The thing that kills me is do people know that when you get off the chair and pedal over to the start of A- line that there are a bunch of killer trails just a short ways up the hill past the gondola? I swear to god A-line looked like a line of worker ants leaving the ant hill! Well I am sure they all learned how to do cross ups!

I really think Whistler isn't the same when you can't ride the upper mountain. Oh' well, I guess you can't have it all.
Maybe Freight train will help with that. Alot of those riders will head to the top.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
whoa yer gonna have to fill out a waiver to ride in the boneyard this year sweet that means theres gonna be some big stuff cant wait till they finish the boneyard