Quantcast

Whistler drops

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
ThePriceSeliger said:
Not you personally. I'm speaking in generalities. I understand what you mean about dumb people doing dumb things. I know about the waiver as well you sign, but you can still threaten, and insurance prices for the mountain go up.
Cool, I didn't really think you were talking about me personally, I just wanted to make it clear that I'm one rider who would never sue. Now that I think about it more, it's probably a good idea to rope off some of the bigger stunts. Just because it's Whistler doesn't mean there's no beginners there. I know a lot of people who think they can do something because it looks easy and safe, but they're really not ready for it yet. I could see a lot of people trying that stuff and getting hurt, especially over-confident teens. I bet if I really wanted to do that stunt I could have talked to a patroller and gotten the go-ahead. Anyway, this post is about Whistler, which in my opinion, is hands down the best park in the world.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
at any amount of decent speed it's easy to overshoot the tranny on the glc drop....the first shot of the dm drop is actually the rutabega side....the second/third pics are the lower dm side, and you can seriously sail off that rock, pretty easy to get near the bottom of the tranny making it 10'ish+ easily......

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Bullit21 said:
The A-line drop always seemed much tougher and scarier than GLC because the transition is shorter and then you have to hit a quick lefthand berm right after. You can just rip GLC at pretty much any speed you want as there is an unlimited transition. These two aren't even in the same league in terms of difficulty.
I disagree because the A-line drop has a clean straight run-in where as the GLC is in the middle of a turn sort of so you do have to change your direction in the air somewhat. Neither drop is hard but I don't see one being easier than the other. I just think the GLC has a better tranny.

FWIW If you go off these drops at a nice comfortable speed I'd say this is how they size up.

A-Line: 8-10' (not more due to lack of tranny)
GLC: 6-10' (maybe 12' if you BOOST it or only 5' if you wheelie drop it)
Clown Shoes: 10-12' (15' if you pedal into it fast)
Dirt Merch: 4-6' (10'+ off the middle wheelie drop)
Schleyer: 1'-12' (1' if you roll it and 12+ if you clear the boards)

Schleyer also has a few other small rock drops in the 3-6' range at speed.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
punkassean said:
I disagree because the A-line drop has a clean straight run-in where as the GLC is in the middle of a turn sort of so you do have to change your direction in the air somewhat. Neither drop is hard but I don't see one being easier than the other. I just think the GLC has a better tranny.

FWIW If you go off these drops at a nice comfortable speed I'd say this is how they size up.

These measurements are about what I was thinking. That is, if you hit them at a decent speed.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
ultimately it doesn't matter what the maximum's are, all the drops, save the clown shoes one, are all pretty small....at speed they can be as big as you want, but none of them are overly serious.....enough of splitting hairs over a foot or two...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Punkassean's sizes seemed right!!

flipfantasia said:
<snip> at speed they can be as big as you want <snip>
Exactly.... I like the idea of measuring from lip to top of tranny which gives the minimum drop. I think this method makes the most sense.

Me rolling A-line drop
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/mtnbrider/05 6 Pacific NW trip/Whistler BC/005_2A.jpg
Me bunnyhopping off the medium glc drop
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/mtnbrider/05 6 Pacific NW trip/Whistler BC/002_00A.jpg
Glc drops (big one is far left)
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/mtnbrider/05 6 Pacific NW trip/Whistler BC/006_3A.jpg

- what does GLC stand for?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
punkassean said:

At first I thought these were pink bike feet :p but if you are talking about where you land at speed, I agree, this about right. I actually love how the GLC is situated, but I throw flatties that way so it's good, stay off the brakes and send it!! Oh man I can't wait for next summer. :drool: :drool:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I can't wait either....hopefully I will be going to that whistler camp for 2 weeks. I really want to hit the fun box and the big glc.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
OGRipper said:
If Dirt Merchant and A-line were the only trails I would still go to Whistler.
Come to think of it...if it was just either one...I would still go. Personally I have so much to learn from those trails...like how to wipe the stupid grin off my face at the end...thats the toughest trick!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I like Goats Gully, Facrobat, Freight train, D2, and a few other trails alot more than A-line and DM. If all they had was A-line and DM, Id just ride the Shore and Squamish.

Hucky

Chimp
Aug 7, 2009
Found this picture of the dirt merch big rock drop. Should put things into perspective.

Jump Chump

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
A, A
there's bigger drops, but for whatever reason (speed? fear?), I have absolutely no idea what the back side of the a line drop looks like. yeah, I've seen these pics, but tranny? trees? signs? I've never seen them.

I hit the drop, pull the berm, and look for that next jump.

I love that drop.

damon

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I leave for Silver Star and Whistler next week. 2nd trip this summer.

Last edited:

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
GLC is pretty big if you pretty much land it to flat
although I use the term land loosely.
geez, that was huge

I'm usually more worried about going to fast and washing out coming into it than the drop itself. I have a great fear of being "that guy" that splattered himself all over the ground in front of the pub full of onlookers!