Quantcast

Whistler Noob

elRey

Turbo Monkey
Ok, so I am going to Whistler forr the first time next week. I will be in Whistler the 18th to the 20th. I need some trail reccomendations. I know they are prolly all good, but I am going to be riding with my dad for a day and need some tame trails I can take him on. He rides some xc and thats about as tech as he gets, so I am thinking should I stay to the greens with him? or are there any trails that we can both have fun on?
If anyone is gonna be up there and wants to hook up and show a noob around pm me.
All reccomendations/advice is appreciated, thanks.

Also, anybody have a hotel reccomendation? Something cheap, and close to the lift, I was looking at the hotels and there are like a million.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
elRey said:
Ok, so I am going to Whistler forr the first time next week. I will be in Whistler the 18th to the 20th. I need some trail reccomendations. I know they are prolly all good, but I am going to be riding with my dad for a day and need some tame trails I can take him on. He rides some xc and thats about as tech as he gets, so I am thinking should I stay to the greens with him? or are there any trails that we can both have fun on?
If anyone is gonna be up there and wants to hook up and show a noob around pm me.
All reccomendations/advice is appreciated, thanks.

Also, anybody have a hotel reccomendation? Something cheap, and close to the lift, I was looking at the hotels and there are like a million.
As far as easy trails, you should check out the Magic Bike Park. It's over at the base of Blackcomb.

We alway stay at the Summit Lodge just because it's next door to a place the serves a killer breakfast buffet:)

elRey

Turbo Monkey
Snacks said:
As far as easy trails, you should check out the Magic Bike Park. It's over at the base of Blackcomb.

We alway stay at the Summit Lodge just because it's next door to a place the serves a killer breakfast buffet:)
How far is the Summit Lodge from the lift? I <3 the breakfast buffets, so that might be a good place to stay.

I saw some stuff about the Magic Bike Park on there website and it seemed a little to tame. I could be wrong. I only saw a couple pics. What exactly is it like?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Magic park? Are you kidding? 8 year olds get bored there quick.

There are several trails that riders with BASIC skills can have fun on. Magic park is for kids.

Blue runs like LOWER angry pirate and fantastic can be ridden by intermediate XC riders.

Oh yeah, tantalus for sure on the hotel.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Snacks said:
Just a suggestion. I have never seen it.

Sorry, didn't mean to snap at ya.
If you can ride down the whole trail one handed while filming with a handicam in the other hand, I think that qualifies as boring for most fit adults.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
I went there with my dad last year. He liked:
Fantastic
Heart of darkness
Golden triangle
Crank it up (he thought that huge mega turn was fun)

Blues that he rode, but didnt like...with his complaints as I remember them.
Ho chi min (this is a f'ing rough trail)
B-line (too many people, I hate jumps)
Smoke and mirrors (I am not trying to be in no video, I dont need to ride stupid wooden trails)

elRey

Turbo Monkey
h22ekhatch said:
I went there with my dad last year. He liked:
Fantastic
Heart of darkness
Golden triangle
Crank it up (he thought that huge mega turn was fun)

Blues that he rode, but didnt like...with his complaints as I remember them.
Ho chi min (this is a f'ing rough trail)
B-line (too many people, I hate jumps)
Smoke and mirrors (I am not trying to be in no video, I dont need to ride stupid wooden trails)
Haha funny complaints. Ill keep them in mind. Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like we already got a hotel. I don't know the name, its cheap and close to the lift, though.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Ya dont go magic park, I took my 68 year old mother up there and road easy does it and b-line. I would start with those 2 trails, then if you want to get a bit more challanging fantastic, golden traingle, heart of darkness and crank it up. If you want to ride intermidate ladder bridge trails cheak out smoke in mirrors and devils cub. Angry pirate is the easyest black dimond, in fact if used to be a blue square no jumps or drops. Whistler creek lodge has 2 bed rooms for 65 cnd, its a like 4 miles from the lift so you would have to drive.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Wiat so your dad liked crank it up that is nothing but jumps but didnt like b-line that has 2 half ass jumps on it?

heres a line that no one has mentioned that your dad would like, b-line to after atlantis(only trail with up hill on it) to the green crabapple singel track to olympic single track to b-line.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
fuzzycatnuts said:
Wiat so your dad liked crank it up that is nothing but jumps but didnt like b-line that has 2 half ass jumps on it?

heres a line that no one has mentioned that your dad would like, b-line to after atlantis(only trail with up hill on it) to the green crabapple singel track to olympic single track to b-line.
He is in his late 50's, logic doesn't need to apply :)

I think he mostly liked that huge turn before you hit all the jumps/wall rides.

B-line was ridiculously busy the couple times we went down it...and since you have to go so fast to try to air out any of those jumps everyone was pushing it pretty hard. A lot of those other trails he went on he got left alone pretty much (other than a collision on ho chi min I guess), but b-line he was getting passed a lot which can be awkward.

Also, the first time we wen't down that I came around a corner and there was a guy screaming in pain. Guess he came down hard and broke his arm...had to go find one of the patrol dudes to send someone up to help him. Go figure, the blue trails eat up ppl too :)

As for prices, check www.tantaluslodge.com

If I remember right they were decently competitive ($100-150 depending on the room type), but after all those bike theft threads I don't know if it would be my first choice...

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
For the Whistler newbie, nothing beats hitting the park on a mid week day if possible. The weekends can be intimidating for any ability due to the crowds and the regulars who have the lines dialed. Hit the valley trails on the weekend.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
lower joyride is a good trail for beginners
but you might want to do Detroit Rock as a warmup

yeah that was a cruel joke- stick to B-line, heart of darkness, crank it up, and angry pirate if he's feeling particularly "adventurous" although it has been changed to single black so it might be too tough for noobz

have fun

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Borneo said:
For the Whistler newbie, nothing beats hitting the park on a mid week day if possible. The weekends can be intimidating for any ability due to the crowds and the regulars who have the lines dialed. Hit the valley trails on the weekend.
Good point. Weekday for 1st day for sure. If you have issues as which trail to take at the splits, it seems like there's always somebody sitting up there waiting for another rider. You can often ask them which route would be best.

Acutally, don't worry about anything...except having fun!!!

May 13, 2006
Olympia, WA
Shoestring lodge its 36 bucks a night. But its a Hostel style thing, with up to 4 people in a room (bunk beds). Its got a bar and a strip club connected to it too. But kinda a pedal away from the lifts.

I love Dirt Merchant.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
fuzzycatnuts said:
I should have read all the posts before I posted, sorry, but how much $ is the tantalus hotel?
probly 40-60 a nite and up to four ppl can sleep in it, it also has a kitchen. Its also about a 45sec ride to the lift, and has a pool and ish. Its good enough, most of your times on the mountain anyways.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
Ok, so this is my last day in Whistler and I am definately coming back as soon as possible. My first day I took a clinic which was pretty fun. Adam Billinghurst taught it which was pretty cool. I think A-line and Schleyer werer my favorite. Dirt Merchant was awesome too. I am just sad that I am leaving before they open the upper runs.:( Overall it was a sweet time and I had a blast. Thanks to everyone who helped me out with advice. My dad had a blast also.