Quantcast

whistler on a small bike?

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
Anyone have experience with riding Whistler Blackcomb on a mid travel freeride bike, ca. 6" front and rear? Is it possible without having to struggle with having a smaller fork, or is it neccesary with a full DH sled?

Thanx.

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
Dude, I happily rode my hardtail in Whistler many times this year.

Just be sure to armour up well if you insist riding all day every day. You'll be tired and make mistakes, otherwise, I could hang with all my bros on their big bikes just not all day is all.

Not that I didn't try, I just was a little more worked at the end of the day is all!

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Anything is rideable on a 6/6 bike...and nothing requires a full DH sled (except if you plan on winning races or like to show off in the parking lot)

I'm sure you'll have a blast!

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
Cool thanx!

I just that, I'm actually riding a 5" fork now, and my arms can get really beat up on the steep runs, when I'm on the front brake, because I have nearly NO travel to work with.

I'm probably gonna put an a 6" if I go to Whistler though, if I don't get a DH bike before that time.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
a 6" bike would be fun as hell at whistler. I wish i had my heckler when i was there itd be a fun bike on aline.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Yeah, some trails like a-line and dirtmerchant are the **** for dj bikes. Don't forget the mountaincross course. I rode all the trails except original sin on a 6" and 6" bike with 24's. I am way too big for that bike (I was borrowing it). Double blacks are no problem on a 6er.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Damn... You guys must be better riders tham me. Some of the runs off the Garbanzo lift were too tough for me even with 10in of travel. Granted, it was wet and slippery though.

Aug 27, 2004
oh ya...i went up too whistler this year with my cross country race bike..and i decided to do a run on the freeride course..=(....not very fun at all..
it was fun just being at whistler but man..i thought that my wrists were broken after i got half way down..(i had a 4 inch fork)
but it would have been way more fun with 6" front and rear..

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
macmx said:
Anyone have experience with riding Whistler Blackcomb on a mid travel freeride bike, ca. 6" front and rear? Is it possible without having to struggle with having a smaller fork, or is it neccesary with a full DH sled?

Thanx.
Dang man. 6" in the rear is tonnes. I doubt there is anything you can't ride with a good 6" travel bike especially on whistler with all the trannies. Its the only bike I have haha.

Although...I would probably never go to a short travel fork again. I love having tonnes of plushness up front for my hands and for when I make the dreaded nose dive mistake. But, I also have friends (3) who lived on the mountain with ht's and little 4 to 5 in forks putting in 20 to 40 days each. ITs very doable.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
ilikebikes444 said:
oh ya...i went up too whistler this year with my cross country race bike..and i decided to do a run on the freeride course..=(....not very fun at all..
it was fun just being at whistler but man..i thought that my wrists were broken after i got half way down..(i had a 4 inch fork)
but it would have been way more fun with 6" front and rear..
When the 24 hour race guys were here lots of them went up and gave the mountain a try. Some on rented fr rigs and some on xc rigs. All of it can be ridden, just depends on how fast you wanna go and how masocistic you are :)

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Original sin would be pretty easy on a 5-5 bike imo. It didn't have any to long long long rough sections and wasnt to fast. Maybe its cause i loved it cause on my whole trip acrosss the usa it was the first time i felt normal since hte dirt was just like snowshoe.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mobius said:
Original sin would be pretty easy on a 5-5 bike imo. It didn't have any to long long long rough sections and wasnt to fast. Maybe its cause i loved it cause on my whole trip acrosss the usa it was the first time i felt normal since hte dirt was just like snowshoe.
i agree. the trails i'd be worried about would be joyride, national downhill, maybe schleyer too. and the a-line braking bumps... :dead: not cool even with 175mm up front and 9" of avalanche in the rear.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If your hands hurt because you're using the front brake and hitting stuff at the same time, then let go of the brakes. :evil:

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Toshi said:
i agree. the trails i'd be worried about would be joyride, national downhill, maybe schleyer too. and the a-line braking bumps... :dead: not cool even with 175mm up front and 9" of avalanche in the rear.

yeah national downhill owned me bad. Schleyer wasnt to bad nor joyride but national ate me up everytime i think it was the only trail i couldnt ride fast. Aline braking bumps when we were their were hell ****ing 8 inches in the rear and i still felt those things bad.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hucker13 said:
If your hands hurt because you're using the front brake and hitting stuff at the same time, then let go of the brakes. :evil:
whistler makes your hands hurt from just holding on... :dead:

Mr. Furious

Monkey
Jul 23, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My bike is 6" front ('03 Slider) and 4.5" rear (Vanilla-R ProPedal). Rode pretty much every weekend, some weekends two days in a row. Had no problem hanging with the bigger bikes and the smaller travel bike is easier to push around on garbanzo. I rode a buddy's GiantDH with the 6-way swinger shock.. I felt faster (or maybe it was because I wasn't getting as shaken up) but other than that no difficulties.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
hucker13 said:
Pretty sure down aline and dirt merchant i never hit my brakes and if i did it was a tap. i think its just the groms sliding into the berms and putting in all those quick braking bumps that hurt.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Actually I think some of the tighter stuff on the upper mountain would be easier on a smaller bike. There are a lot of slower, hard turns that make you work on a full DH rig. Some short uphills too.

Whoever would have believed 6 years ago that someone would be asking if a 5 and 6 inch travel bike would be "enough". That was long travel DH bikes not too long ago!!

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
kidwoo said:
Actually I think some of the tighter stuff on the upper mountain would be easier on a smaller bike. There are a lot of slower, hard turns that make you work on a full DH rig. Some short uphills too.

Whoever would have believed 6 years ago that someone would be asking if a 5 and 6 inch travel bike would be "enough". That was long travel DH bikes not too long ago!!
Its funny, maybe it is the riders I ride with, but I don't consider 6in a small travel bike. My bighit comp has more travel than all my buddies except 2. In fact most of them make fun of me for having so much travel. Damn being older with bad knees haha

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
i'd defintley have prefered something abit sharper handling and lighter too.

Dm/a-line is more suited to a 4x full sus type ride than a full on dh rig thats for sure. most of the stuff seemed so well built and smooth that the only thing that ever really taxed my bike where the braking bumps and the occasional dodgy landing off some of the bigger drops/jumps

oh i cursed my gearing everytime i had to go up the little hill to get to schleyer/joyride etc etc too

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
kidwoo said:

Yeah definetly noticed when me and DBR were there that he was taking some turns on the upper mountain better then i was with his turner since my bike was a tad longer.

5-6" bikes are fighting back i love my heckler and sometimes its more fun to have less travel but a easier to flick around bike and i think lots of people agree.