Quantcast

Whistler Report- Memorial Weekend

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
I went up to Whistler this weekend, and I gotta say that the MTN is looking in pretty good shape

Aline is primo.... few brake bumps, all new lips- jumps are dug deeper and you can go higher as well as farther
The jump under the lip has been made soo much better, easier to clear now

Dirt Merchant is nasty- the path to it is a swamp- the actual trail is ridable, but the water sitting in spots really saps your speed before the step-ups- some jumps are closed- ie the small rock drop

Scheleyer is AMAZING- Really good condition, everything is hitable- a few of the rocks were kinda slick, but it was all do-able

National DH is tight- everything is uber dry, except for lower- lower has a river going through it

The new trail Devil's Club is really tight, lots of ladders taking up the whole trail, but its also really slick, and was closed yesterday

Joyride is good also

Boneyard and Biker Cross is being built as I type- it looks to be about 30% done, but they're cranking it out fast

Peace
Nathan
www.freeridesammamish.com

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Wow, what a weekend at Whistler! I agree with what ffonsok says. Though, I'm not a fan of the deeper lips on upper A-line. Saturday was pretty sloppy with the rain, but Sunday and Monday were perfect.

It was cool to see John Cowan at the dozer's helm, creating the new Biker X course for crankworx.

I also got a chance to meet Noel of Knolly bikes and ride with him for a good part of Saturday. Sweet! Super nice guy.

Some of the other lesser talked about trails were awesome as well, Crank It Up to Whistler Downhill to Heart of Darkness was a great warm-up. Good loop for late in the day when the body gets tired.

Angry Pirate to Crabapple hits was great! Crabapple is some high-speed goodness!

Met a lot of great folks on the mountain this weekend! One to remember, for sure!

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
yeah those tables on crabapple hits were really nice

i had sweeper run on saturday so i was riding down during the torrential downpour :)

It was nice b/c there weren't that many people up there- A line was clear of noobs

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Whistler rocked out for sure! Got my wife on her first DH bike ever! She rode 4 runs on Saturday before the rain and did really well, only 2 low speed washouts...

I had a really good time up there, but blew out my rear tire 3 times :mumble: and toasted the rebound circuit on my brand new Avy after the 4 runs with the wife....how can you blow a rebound circuit on Easy Does It??!!!??:mumble: :help: :mad: But once I switched shox, it was all good. A-line was golden, Dirt Merchant was a little sloggy towards the bottom, and the National DH course was pretty nasty in the trees...kinda like riding down a river bed...Heart of Darkness was prolly my fav for the weekend, oh...and the GLC drop was cool too. Can't wait to get back up there...maybe in a couple weeks....:cool:

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
hahahha yeah my fork was DONE at the end of the day.... i took it into fatastic co and the guy looked at it and practically slapped me

oil everywhere- but it was a boxxer team, so its expected
im getting a 05 888rc before i go up next time

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
ffonsok said:
hahahha yeah my fork was DONE at the end of the day.... i took it into fatastic co and the guy looked at it and practically slapped me

oil everywhere- but it was a boxxer team, so its expected
im getting a 05 888rc before i go up next time
My '06 888 works is absolutely amazing!! However, I think some of the infamous Whistler goo got into the top adjusters...They're both making some really bad grinding noises...I guess I'm stuck with where my high speed compression, rebound, and preload are at until a rebuild....don't want to scratch anything too badly.....

Sux for your fork....I blew an old boxxer awhile ago...like riding a freakin' undamped pogo stick....

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Secret Squirrel said:
and the GLC drop was cool too. Can't wait to get back up there...maybe in a couple weeks....:cool:
That drop reminded me of the treedrop at seatac. I had fun on it but the last time I did it (before doing something other then A line) I pinch flatted between landing and the line on a rock. Tried to grab brakes and couldnt slow down intime for those aluminum barriers... Ran into it at about 5 mph and pushed it back while laughing my ass off (as im sure people in the line were)

I didnt do to much riding maybe 4-5 runs on A line and Schlayer as well as some runs below that that I cannot remeber. Everything was fun.. The Hardtail is going up for sale in a few hours and Im picking up a used Giant AC1 tomorrow so next trip the legs should be a bit better off.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
DesuL said:
Im picking up a used Giant AC1 tomorrow so next trip the legs should be a bit better off.
Be careful about how much abuse you dish out on the AC'1. I've been riding one for 3 years with a couple trips to Whistler. It held up pretty good, but the chainstays finally cracked in half a few months ago. Giant warrantied it, but only because I'm the original owner. Good bike though, just not built for the uber gnar, high speed, big drops that the Faith is designed for.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Big B said:
Be careful about how much abuse you dish out on the AC'1. I've been riding one for 3 years with a couple trips to Whistler. It held up pretty good, but the chainstays finally cracked in half a few months ago. Giant warrantied it, but only because I'm the original owner. Good bike though, just not built for the uber gnar, high speed, big drops that the Faith is designed for.
Yah honestly for the price it could last me 3-4 trips and id be happy with it :) Just something to hold me over till next year when I have something saved up or the Demos drop a bit in price

scbiker06

Chimp
Sep 6, 2005
Washington
all i know was rock city and whistler dh were off the hook so was scheyler and a line and joyride. crack addict was a mess on monday. garbonzo doesn't look like it's gonna be open for awhile. i looked up to see how d1 was doing and it was covered in snow.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I don't mind riding in mud so much, it's the bike maintenance afterwards...

Even with new Avid Flak Jackets, Whistler mud managed to sieze up my front and rear derailleurs last weekend. Next time I go up there, I'm going to pick one gear and leave it there.

edit: It's possible I didn't install them correctly because I didn't use the red housing. I think that's the part that's supposed to keep mud out.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Big B said:

Even with new Avid Flak Jackets, Whistler mud managed to sieze up my front and rear derailleurs last weekend. Next time I go up there, I'm going to pick one gear and leave it there.

edit: It's possible I didn't install them correctly because I didn't use the red housing. I think that's the part that's supposed to keep mud out.
Nah, you just didn't ride fast enough!! :rofl: My rear der. was just fine...until the several untimely rock hits it took....:dead:

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
Big B said:

must be you,

i've got in pretty much 3 solid weeks on whistler riding(hey my job hasn't started yet ok) on bog standard cables no maintainence and she still shifts like a champion

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Whoever was in the subie with the two Transitions...I was the guy in the Black Jeep with the Orange Rotec...

Great pics! And nice report! My first time up there, and it was awesome to just mack down A-line and the like! Almost t-boned a bear a couple of times though...specially when you bust out of B-line and just crank......all of a sudden you come over a small rise, and WHOA!!!>.....scccrrreeeechhhh......don't want to be lunch today!

scbiker06

Chimp
Sep 6, 2005
Washington
Secret Squirrel said:
Whoever was in the subie with the two Transitions...I was the guy in the Black Jeep with the Orange Rotec...

Great pics! And nice report! My first time up there, and it was awesome to just mack down A-line and the like! Almost t-boned a bear a couple of times though...specially when you bust out of B-line and just crank......all of a sudden you come over a small rise, and WHOA!!!>.....scccrrreeeechhhh......don't want to be lunch today!

hey i saw you up there. my friend asked you how you liked your rotec. right before we hit crabapple hits.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
hey, ive got a video up from Whistler on my site under Podcast
www.freeridesammamish.com

go ahead and subscribe to the podcast, its free ;)
The videos on the Video page will be back up tonight

i saw those bears on the trail! I rode crank it up, and one of them was standing right by the second wallride-- startling!
oh yeah, and the boneyard will be open by this weekend (supposedly)

peace

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
no--- you just need the new version of itunes
but you can even watch it with just quicktime