Quantcast

Whistler trip questions...

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I've done the searches and still have a few questions..

My wife and I are thinking about going up to BC for our anniversary (Sept 7th) and of course, Whistler would be on the itenerary.

The one thing I can't figure out is if I should drive or fly.
If we fly, do I ship my bike or bring it on the plane (and fork out $$ for a bike case). Do I need to rent a pickup/SUV?

The other option is to drive, but how long of a drive is it from the Bay area or LA?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by Acadian
Bikes: I say fly with them. This way you are sure they will get there.

Drive or Fly: I would fly..its one hell of a long drive. From the bay area it's about 13 hours to Seattle. Then add 4 hours to get to Vancouver, then another few hours to get to Whistler.

I think there are some shuttles from the Vancouver airport to Whistler. If now, just rent a mini van...they are cheap and that would be perfect for both of you and the bikes. Once you are in Whistler, no vehicles are required (depending on where you are staying)
Your drive times are a little of Luc. It is 4-4.5 hours from seattle to Whistler.
I'd get a bunch of people and rent a 15 pass van. Wife probably had other visions though.

Originally posted by Acadian
Bikes: I say fly with them. This way you are sure they will get there.

Drive or Fly: I would fly..its one hell of a long drive. From the bay area it's about 13 hours to Seattle. Then add 4 hours to get to Vancouver, then another few hours to get to Whistler.

I think there are some shuttles from the Vancouver airport to Whistler. If now, just rent a mini van...they are cheap and that would be perfect for both of you and the bikes. Once you are in Whistler, no vehicles are required (depending on where you are staying)
its only 4 hours from seattle....but its a nice drive durintg the day. and once in Whislter park your car and rid eyou bike or walk everywhere.

BUT, get gas before you cross the border its EXPENSIVE up there, take the truck crossing, its quick and easy and there is a gas station right before the border. If you take the "peace arch" you will be sitting for a long time.

Originally posted by buildyourown
Your drive times are a little of Luc. It is 4-4.5 hours from seattle to Whistler.
I'd get a bunch of people and rent a 15 pass van. Wife probably had other visions though.
we made it last weekend from whislter to Van in 1:15 with 2 bikes on the top , 2 on the back and 4 guys and all our gear...it was fun!:D

Nitromike

Monkey
May 14, 2004
Some ghetto in Houston
4 days to drive 18 hours or so there and then back? Thats a days driving each way with 2 people, and you pretty much lose a day each way flying so all you really lose is the lightening of your wallet from flying :)

speaking of driving up from the la area. we are making the trek in early august but would like to stop in a couple of places on the way up and back so it dosen't seem like a forever drive. any suggestions? looking for some dope DJ spots and maybe even some shuttle spots along the way.......

Originally posted by WestCoastHucker
speaking of driving up from the la area. we are making the trek in early august but would like to stop in a couple of places on the way up and back so it dosen't seem like a forever drive. any suggestions? looking for some dope DJ spots and maybe even some shuttle spots along the way.......
hit me up before oyu come to seattle...ill show ya some spots

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have been looking into the famed "whistler" trip now for the days. So far this is what I got.

IF You fly a bike, on a regular airline, they charge you big time. I think most were $80-100 for oversize + overweight items. That's each way. So you'll eat $200 or so in just fees to ship your bike. Big rip-off there.

I was pointed out to the IMBA's website. They have a travel agency that will fly bikes free with a IMBA membership. Total cost to go for 5 solid days of riding, and 2 days of flying/getting stuff together, $505. Deal, sold on that one!

So you figure $500 for airflight, what about hotel. I was looking into these and they are cheaper on expedia then on the Candian sites. Though no one seems to get the exchange rate, most solid hotels from CAN are like $70-90 a night. I'd rather loose some distance to the lifts if I can bring my bike in the room with me. It's about as important as my girlfriend is in the room (for obvious reasons :) ) Hotel was...........$560 I think for 6 nights.

The bus from the airport to whistler is $60 each way. Since there are 2 of you it would be better off renting a mini-van for $300. That way you can drive around and what not. For myself going single, the bus would work fine.

It's not a cheap trip. According to the MTB website for whislter extended play is sat and fri only for the time I wanted to go. It was $135 for 5 days of lift tickets (including 2 extended play sessions). Not that bad.

Total for me is gonna be like $1500 for myself, figuring food and whatever there.

For me and my girlfriend going it's closer to $2g. Mind you she isn't biking so it's hard for me to get her to go, but I think she's good for it :)

These prices are all of today, this morning. Flying out of Santa Barbara airport to boot!

Hope that helps some

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by Nitromike
4 days to drive 18 hours or so there and then back? Thats a days driving each way with 2 people, and you pretty much lose a day each way flying so all you really lose is the lightening of your wallet from flying :)
:rolleyes:
Add on another 6-7 hours... I live in southern Orange County.
That is 24 hours of driving and I'd have to do it all myself... that means I'll be on the road 2 days each way. Plus, I travel a lot for work, so I have a ton fop frequent flyer miles.

3000 miles/18mpg x $2.40/gallon = $400 just in gas.

Nitromike

Monkey
May 14, 2004
Some ghetto in Houston
Never saw the OC below your avatar, guess I assumed Bay Area .. screw driving that one especially if you have frequent flyer miles. I travel enough for work I haven't paid for a personal trip in over 6 years, its nice.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by Nitromike
Never saw the OC below your avatar, guess I assumed Bay Area .. screw driving that one especially if you have frequent flyer miles. I travel enough for work I haven't paid for a personal trip in over 6 years, its nice.
Yeah... We paid for our honeymoon to Istanbul and Greece w/ freq flier miles and we still have a pair on Europe/South America tix as well. I'm sure we can manage to find enough miles for Vancouver.
I just didn't know if I should ship the bike or not.

OCDH

Chimp
Feb 5, 2002
Orange County, CA
Jeff,

buy the bike case! I'll rent it from you - I'm going to Whistler for Gravity Camp in early August, and I was going to ship my bike in a cardboard box and take my chances. I'd rather use a real case though.

Jonny Wray

Chimp
Oct 4, 2001
San Francisco
Well, I've flown from the Bay Area twice now, so here's my experience.

Flights. I've been charged once out of the 4 trips and that was because the guy on the oversize check in was a job's worth. United (I think it was) consider going to Canada from SFO a domestic flight (they don't charge international). It was an expensive charge. ($120). They didn't question it on the way back. Alaska didn't charge me.

Shuttle: There is a shuttle bus from Vancounver airport to whistler. Picks up and drops you right in town. Around 70 canadian if I remember right. You don't need a car once in town. A lot of people on the lifts were recommending driving away from Whistler to other areas for shuttling.

CraigH

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
Vancouver, BC Canada
Originally posted by bibs
... take the truck crossing, its quick and easy and there is a gas station right before the border. If you take the "peace arch" you will be sitting for a long time.
The length of line up at each varies all the time. Best thing to do is to listen to the AM news station that does traffic reports every 10 minutes, before you get to the turn off to the truck crossing and go with the shorter.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by Spunger
According to the MTB website for whislter extended play is sat and fri only for the time I wanted to go. It was $135 for 5 days of lift tickets (including 2 extended play sessions). Not that bad.

Total for me is gonna be like $1500 for myself, figuring food and whatever there.
Spunger,

Extended play is only like $12 or so when you buy it with already having bought a day pass for that same day.

I went last year for over 10 days and spent almost exactly $1,000. I also have my itinerary for this year at about $1,040 for 10 days of riding and two travel. How did you get up to $1,500? That sounds steep...

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Flight out of Santa Barbara to Vancouver is like $500 and that is with my bike flying for free. So airfair is $500

The hotel that I looked at is $77 a night. I want to stay 7 nights so that's with CAN taxes $560 somethin.

Then the bus ride from the airport to whislter moutian and back was $50 each way, so $100 for that

Lift ticket costs were minimal, like $140 or so for the entire time, but it said extended play wasn't everyday, just fri/sat of the time I was going.

So 140, 100, 560, and 500. Ehhh it's like $1300 or so for myself. I couldn't find a cheaper plane ticket that included big/overweight items like my bike. Most airlines are a rip to take a bike with you. I figured some money for food/beer for the week there, and whatever else.

I already have a fleet of spare parts so I'm not worried about that, one less thing to think about :)

How are you going so cheap? Do you drive there?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Last year I drove up with friends and flew back from Seattle. This year I found $295 tix from S.F. to Van. (might be extra for bikes, plus shuttle fees to Whistler) Since I am going in a group, we will drive my truck. So even @ 40¢ a mile expenses driving is only $300 a piece for 3 people (2,300 miles), plus by driving I can bring both of my bikes (and so can my friends) And once we are there we can drive to Pemberton or Squamish or maybe over to Kelowna/Kamloops if we have time...

soooo...

$300 transportation (roundtrip from S.C. [18hrs. 1way])
$336 lodging (Own queen bed for 10 nights)
$230 lift passes (10 days + ext. play)
$220 Food ($6.66 per meal ave.)

$1,086 total, maybe $1,200 if I splurge on brewski's...

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
How in the world is lodging so cheap?

There's no way I'd drive from Santa Barbara. That is one long drive, especially by myself. It'd be cheaper if we drove my girlfriends Honda Civic but for me, flying might be better as she won't give up her car for that period of time :)

They will charge you to ship a bike unless you get your tickets from the IMBA place or have airfair vouchers for a bicycle. It is a rip-off too, like $180 total to ship the bike, plus I wouldn't trust their boxes and would get a trico case or something similar.

If I was going with others it might have cheaper alternitives, like hotel rooms or drive time. I wonder what other :monkey:'s pay to get to whistler from california. I know Luc and a bunch of others are there in July, maybe I'll have to ask them.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by Spunger
How in the world is lodging so cheap?

There's no way I'd drive from Santa Barbara. That is one long drive, especially by myself. It'd be cheaper if we drove my girlfriends Honda Civic but for me, flying might be better as she won't give up her car for that period of time :)

They will charge you to ship a bike unless you get your tickets from the IMBA place or have airfair vouchers for a bicycle. It is a rip-off too, like $180 total to ship the bike, plus I wouldn't trust their boxes and would get a trico case or something similar.

If I was going with others it might have cheaper alternitives, like hotel rooms or drive time. I wonder what other :monkey:'s pay to get to whistler from california. I know Luc and a bunch of others are there in July, maybe I'll have to ask them.
I found a 3 star hotel/condo in the village for $101 a night US that has two rooms and a hide-a-bed. Plus it has a kitchen and fireplace etc. so its $1,010 for the ten nights divided by three. There will be some tax on top of that but not much...gotta shop around on every single website and then call around also. The drive is actually mellow, it's flat and straight most of the way until north Van. (last 1.5 hours) By the time you drive to the airport pay to park, unload all your crap, check in, wait through security, board, taxi, get there, get a shuttle to whistler (which charges additional for your bike)...you get the picture, just drive. I am driving my 10mpg (loaded with bikes and gear 14mpg normal) 4Runner and it's still cheaper than the cheapest flight.

If you can stay longer than 5 days you should, the travel is the most $, so once there, stay! 5 days on the mtn. is not enough, after almost two weeks last year I was still wanting more, more, more!!!!!

This pic was taken of me on my last run of my trip last summer, it feels like it was only yesterday:p

Attachments

Originally posted by punkassean
I found a 3 star hotel/condo in the village for $101 a night US that has two rooms and a hide-a-bed. Plus it has a kitchen and fireplace etc. so its $1,010 for the ten nights divided by three. There will be some tax on top of that but not much...gotta shop around on every single website and then call around also. The drive is actually mellow, it's flat and straight most of the way until north Van. (last 1.5 hours) By the time you drive to the airport pay to park, unload all your crap, check in, wait through security, board, taxi, get there, get a shuttle to whistler (which charges additional for your bike)...you get the picture, just drive. I am driving my 10mpg (loaded with bikes and gear 14mpg normal) 4Runner and it's still cheaper than the cheapest flight.

If you can stay longer than 5 days you should, the travel is the most $, so once there, stay! 5 days on the mtn. is not enough, after almost two weeks last year I was still wanting more, more, more!!!!!

This pic was taken of me on my last run of my trip last summer, it feels like it was only yesterday:p
you shoudl see the stuff they built into that drop and around...its cool......!!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by bibs
you shoudl see the stuff they built into that drop and around...its cool......!!
I saw a pic on NSMB, it looked really clean but it also looked like they made the entry to that drop much easier, it used to be a really long, really skinny, not it is a roller coaster boulevard.

Yes it is clown shoes.