Quantcast

Whistler weather this weekend?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Whats the scoop? People still planning on going? The forcast from the seattle papers say showers and light rain. Is it worth the drive up if its supposed to be wet?

D

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
From environment Canada:
Whistler: Issued 5.00 AM PDT Thursday 27 May 2004
Friday .. Cloudy. 70 percent chance of showers. Risk of a thundershower. High 15.
Saturday .. Cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers. Low 8. High 17.
Sunday .. Cloudy. 70 percent chance of showers. Low 7. High 17.
Monday .. Cloudy. 40 percent chance of showers. Low 8. High 16.

Looks like saturday would be a better day to go but weather has been unpredictable lately.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Originally posted by oly
How are the trails in the rain? Ive always been there when its dry.
Depends on how much it rains......but if it's anything like memorial weekend last year....IT SUCKED!!! Ride 20ft and then you couldn't see sh*t out of your goggles.

A-line reminded me of "A River Runs Through It"

Take your fender, rainsuit and everything else to be on the safe side.

Laura and I are heading up regardless

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Steve headed up there yesterday afternoon for some pre-weekend-rush riding, though he said he expected it to be quite cold and wet. I think he's staying till Friday morning, so I'll see if he can give me an update on the weather.

Last I heard the low was down near 1 degree celsius (brrr) and wet. I don't know how high the "high" was.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Even the worst day at Whistler is better than my best day at work. I'm going regardless and I'm gonna love it. A-line is always open. Bring your goggles and a box of tissues.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Well, original plans are falling through, but im looking for other options to get there. It may be just a day trip for me. Peter is also considering going, and SR was looking to day trip earlier. I'd still rather do 2 days, but ill take what i can get. If we do 2 days we will need a place to stay.... Ill know more later a little later.....

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Rain, Rain and more Rain. Right now it doesn't seem to want to end.

Currently it is 8degrees in valley and 3 degrees midway up.
Thursday and Friday are risk for thundershowers. The funny thing is 4 years living here and this is the first year I have seen lightening since leaving Onterrible.
Weekend is risk of showers all weekend with lows of 7 o8 in the valley (which means 0-3 degrees for biking)

Cheers

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by Roasted
Rain, Rain and more Rain. Right now it doesn't seem to want to end.

Currently it is 8degrees in valley and 3 degrees midway up.
Thursday and Friday are risk for thundershowers. The funny thing is 4 years living here and this is the first year I have seen lightening since leaving Onterrible.
Weekend is risk of showers all weekend with lows of 7 o8 in the valley (which means 0-3 degrees for biking)

Cheers
:) I just heard from Steve too, and he said yesterday was slippery but warm and humid on the slopes (it rained in the am which is why it's slippery).

It's raining currently, though he expects it to stop again this afternoon to get some more ride time in.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Originally posted by Freak
Depends on how much it rains......but if it's anything like memorial weekend last year....IT SUCKED!!! Ride 20ft and then you couldn't see sh*t out of your goggles.

A-line reminded me of "A River Runs Through It"

Take your fender, rainsuit and everything else to be on the safe side.

Laura and I are heading up regardless
Yep, it all depends. A-Line actually drains pretty well but if you're riding it in the rain, it is a river. Bring goggles with tear-off.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
:) I just heard from Steve too, and he said yesterday was slippery but warm and humid on the slopes (it rained in the am which is why it's slippery).

It's raining currently, though he expects it to stop again this afternoon to get some more ride time in.
I kind of hope it stops too today. It was supposed to be my first day up but I really don't want to deal with slipping and sliding with my hamstring. Today they rain is different though. Yesterday was periodic. This hasn't stopped since 4 am this morning...

It was nasty yesterday, so humid. Really strange for here, I totally forgot that haha. When I was on the trails I was soaked from falling and the humidity.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by Universe
Ride the shore instead.
I had the same thought..... day trip the shore.

Whats good in the rain...... I remember the ride up fromme was pretty dissapointing that one maga rainy day.....the only thing that made it fun was the fart machine in chainwhips backpack.

Im still working towards Whistler, but the shore does sound appealing.... (closer)

Originally posted by oly

Whats good in the rain...... I remember the ride up fromme was pretty dissapointing that one maga rainy day.....the only thing that made it fun was the fart machine in chainwhips backpack.

Im still working towards Whistler, but the shore does sound appealing.... (closer)
I was thinkin whistler sat & sun and the shore mon

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
I'll be in B-ham Friday night and then doing a day trip on Sat. regardless of weather. I may shot back up on monday with another friend, who knows? First time this year, can't wait!

Well... for all of you complainers regarding the rain...
Prior to this we were looking at Provincial closures at least one month earlier than last year (forest fire hazard)..
This is a major bonus that it is raining... Although it will result in closures of Schleyer, Joyride and Clown shoes almost surely, it will help the park and trails in the area immensely... The rain is also decreasing the snowpack in the Garbanzo lift serviced area.. which could even lead to an early opening of the G zone. :D

I don't know how much time I am going to spend in Whistler... though you can expect the same weather in Vancouver (that means the shore peeps) as well as Squamish..

but I will be riding somewhere.. even if it is here in Pembie...

roscifer

Chimp
Mar 14, 2004
Bellingham
Originally posted by oly

I seem to ride the shore more in the wet then in the dry. The best ride i have had on fromme was last october 2 days after the big flooding. Upper Oil Can, Espresso, Ladies, some of the "easier trails" (leopard, krinkum krakum, etc...) all drain well enough to ride. On seymour, corkscrew to neds rules in the rain. I have also ridden pangor, but it gets really muddy in the middle. Still rideable, but it definately isn't good for the trail. The secret to having fun riding the shore in the rain is that it is so wet and slippery, you can only laugh and not expect to be able to ride anything. then if you fall off of something you were expecting it and it is funny because you were stupid enough to try, or you actually ride it and are stoked for pulling it off in the rain. I am trying to recruit idiots for a monday mud fest up on grouse or seymour at the moment :D

and for a real kick in the pants, ride woodlot in/just after the rain:D Waaaaay too much fun :D

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
At this point I'm still planning on monday. I'll ride if it's on/off rain but if it's coming down all day then I say no to the drive up there. Seymour doesn't sound too shabby.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Originally posted by oly

Ride Cypress, it is awesome in the rain.

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
sounds like it'll be like last memorial day weekend:dead:

if u have anything less than nice hydro disks u won't be able to stop...and either way your front wheels will lock up in the air on a-line from all the mud!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
Originally posted by bibs
I was thinkin whistler sat & sun and the shore mon
It's been pouring here for two days. It's good for the trails, but it's been damn fun riding dry trails the last month or so.

If you're seriously thinking of riding here on Monday, give us a call from Whistler and we'll give you the weather report.

You and Oly have got to come here when it's dry!! I think it's poured every time. You guys are gonna be superstars in the dry since you're so used to riding the slick stuff. :cool: :D

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
Originally posted by ArEm7
At this point I'm still planning on monday. I'll ride if it's on/off rain but if it's coming down all day then I say no to the drive up there. Seymour doesn't sound too shabby.

You have no problem riding up here, but still call a Canadian a dumbass for displaying the flag. I'll make sure to tell my friends to mow down anyone they see with an RM7 and Washington plates this Monday. Enjoy your ride!!

Universe

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Courtenay, BC
Originally posted by Mocha
You have no problem riding up here, but still call a Canadian a dumbass for displaying the flag. I'll make sure to tell my friends to mow down anyone they see with an RM7 and Washington plates this Monday. Enjoy your ride!!
:devil:

derekpearson

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
some poor innocent rm7 riding american is going to be surprised

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by derekpearson
some poor innocent rm7 riding american is going to be surprised
You pop out of thin air to say that? Are you on a break between model shoots??

Besides is anyone really still riding the RM series of bikes? Dont they all have broken swingarms now?

Flips

Chimp
Jun 3, 2002
whistler
I went out today and it was not too good. just about EVERYTHING was closed....A-line included. The rain isnt letting up too much...

It's been pouring here for two days. It's good for the trails, but it's been damn fun riding dry trails the last month or so.

If you're seriously thinking of riding here on Monday, give us a call from Whistler and we'll give you the weather report.

You and Oly have got to come here when it's dry!! I think it's poured every time. You guys are gonna be superstars in the dry since you're so used to riding the slick stuff. :cool: :D

Ill call you guys sun night.......see what it looks like....

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Haha. You talk a lot about hurting me because I think Canadian pride is too high. real cool. Guess what, I think all forms of pride are too high. A nation is just a nation and land is just land. I'll ride where I want. If you find me, fine mow me over because that's apparently the way to get back at someone from the internet.

whatever. :rolleyes:

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by Flips
I went out today and it was not too good. just about EVERYTHING was closed....A-line included. The rain isnt letting up too much...
Yeah Steve was up there doing runs and after about 3 runs they shut everything down early because of the rain. :(

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
For the usual morning report there is no rain and looking at my deck it looks like it hasnt rained for about 4 hours. I even see a crack of sun and blue sky. It did rain all day yesterday after 4 pm and before 1ish. If this holds out it might be dryish for the weekend.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Originally posted by Roasted
For the usual morning report there is no rain and looking at my deck it looks like it hasnt rained for about 4 hours. I even see a crack of sun and blue sky. It did rain all day yesterday after 4 pm and before 1ish. If this holds out it might be dryish for the weekend.
Well, keep doing the "No More Rain For This Weekend" dance!! We'll be coming up rain or shine.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
That picture is just a tease isn't it....you want us all to think it is nice but then when we get there........................

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Bummer! What happend to you staying the weekend Damon? Snacks and Trailhacker must not be going? See you up there...
(I just went and got some rain pants for this weekend):D