Quantcast

Whiteface Opening week

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Who will be at Whiteface June 20-26? I've never been before so I'm hoping to ride with some people that know the trails and know more about the area. Are there good places to camp within a few minutes drive of the base of the mountain?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
There is a DEC campground literally hundreds of feet away from Whiteface! If you are looking at the mountain from the road, it is to your left.

Jun 13, 2007
jay,ny
I will be there, whiteface rulezzzz!!!!!

there is a KOA campground like one mile up the road. also asorted cabins people rent out

dont try to find one in lake placid if you like your money :pirate2:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Which campground is nicer and which is cheaper (if there's a significant difference). I'm trying to get the trip to be as cheap as possible since one of my riding buddies can't go and gas money from AL to NY is going to suck.

Are there some places that I should check out around there or other fun things to do? My g/f will be going up there and she will probably bring her road bike.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Which campground is nicer and which is cheaper (if there's a significant difference). I'm trying to get the trip to be as cheap as possible since one of my riding buddies can't go and gas money from AL to NY is going to suck.

Are there some places that I should check out around there or other fun things to do? My g/f will be going up there and she will probably bring her road bike.
As far as road riding goes, Whiteface sits right on Route 86, which is part of the Ironman Triathalon bike route - a LOT of people use that to road ride and it has bike lanes as well - and really, really nice views. The Whiteface road is down in Wilmington if she likes to climb (4300 feet, I think). While you're in Wilmington, you can head on over to North Pole, NY and get your kitsch on while visiting Santa's Workshop. Or, go the other direction on 86 into Lake Placid to get your 80's Olympic exprience on! Fun place, and don't forget to hit up the Lake Placid Brew Pub while you are at it.

The most obvious thing to also do is hike - you'll be in the middle of the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks and there are tons of places to go in that vicinity.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005

Here is a direct link to the camping tab on our main menu. I hope this helps. Phone numbers, email and web site for all campgrounds.
http://www.downhillmike.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=59&Itemid=78

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005

There are thousands of roadies up here each weekend training for the L.P. Ironman. She will love it too!
The women also seem to love the shopping on Main St. in L.P.
Fine dining?
5 golf courses.
Hiking, backpacking or climbing?
Any water sport. Flat water or crazy rapids?
Cliff diving? Right from the downhill trails. Yep!
Summer bobsled run?
Horseback riding?
Ice skating?
What are you looking for?

Lake Placid is a summer resort area. Way busier with way more to do than in the winter. I didn't know that till after I moved here.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
This is what we have going on just for opening weekend:

* 2nd annual Hcor Days June 21-22 with discounted lift tickets. www.downhillmike.com for more info.
* Free showing of Lucent Productions "Free Delivery" at the Lake Placid Center for the Arts on Saturday June 21 at 7:00 pm, benefiting Tara Llanes Road to Recovery (donations will be accepted at the door)
* Product toss at the film from our sponsors High Peaks Cyclery, Giant Bicycles, E-Thirteen Components and SixSixOne
* Before the film, professional trials show with Giant Bicycles and Lake Placid local Sam Perkins
* Special guest appearance by Lake Placid native Joey Appleton. A pro street rider, Joey rides for E-Thirteen Components and Evil Bikes.
* Lucent Productions will also be at the film selling the "Free Delivery" DVD for $15. The Tara Llanes Road to Recovery cause will receive $10 from each sale. Joey Appleton, one of the stars of the film, will sign the DVDs.
* Lake Placid Pub and Brewery will be at the Lake Placid Center for the Arts with free samples of their tasty micro-brew.
* After-film party at the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery beginning at 9 PM. All will get a "buy one, get one" coupon for the after-film party
* Local band Damaged Goods will play outside the Whiteface base lodge on Sunday, June 22, from 2:30 - 4:30 for mountain bikers and the general public.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The cool thing about the KOA is: You can take add 10 to 15 minutes and at least a couple of more miles of downhill, and ride from the summit right to your campsite. Figure a 5 to 6 mile dh run that will drop you over 2,800 feet of vertical and take a solid 25 to 30 minutes at an expert pace.
Just let us know before you do that run so we will know to pick you up at the KOA and bring you back to your car at the mountain. If you plan on doing any cliff diving at the Flume it's right on the route and just before the KOA.

Jun 13, 2007
jay,ny
KOA is the best bet

also here are some bike shops if you need them:

high peaks cyclery- Lake Placid
Placid Planet - Lake PLacid
leap off cycles- Keene Valley
Whiteface base lodge

BTW: santa's work shop is cool if you have kids
i work there-its a kool place:weee:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
okay, it looks like it will just be my g/f and me so hopefully I can meet up with some people from the forum and ride. I'll be getting there to ride Saturday morning.

Is Lake Placid a good place to swim in the evenings or are there any other nice places to go for a swim?

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Lake Placid & Mirror Lake are easily accessible. You can drive or ride from anywhere in town to the hojo's and ride 5 minutes on some beautiful single-track to a killer swimming spot on Lake Placid, then ride 5 minutes to the free film and trials show. Just come on up and we'll point you in the right direction. L.P. is a small town.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Are the 'rustic' sites at the KOA good for camping or should I get the one with the electrical hook ups. We are just tent camping, but I would like to be within a close walk to the bathrooms and showers.