Quantcast

Whitetail

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Could someone describe the riding and/or race runs at Whitetail? What to expect? I had an unfortunate "health issue" (some of you may know what that was) that kept me from Massanutten. I couldn't ride for almost a month. GRRR!!! But I'm dedicated to making it to Whitetail.

Racersedgeonline.com:
Only seven weeks until the much anticipated return of Whitetail! The, first ever, City Bikes Capital Cup will be held Friday, June 23 thru Sunday, June 25. The format has been finalized. Racers who enter the Capital Cup will compete on two separate downhill racecourses on two separate days. Times will be combined from the two courses to determine the winners. For those unable to attend/compete both days, Sunday’s course will double as the Maryland State Championship and may be entered separately from the Capital Cup. All Capital Cup entrants will automatically earn points for both events.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
I've heard the one course is going to be fst and the other more tech. Looks like it's going to be a great weekend of racing.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Hooj Choons said:
I think they might have camping available on site.
you will be able to find space to put a tent up.......they have a nice locker room with showers also.....

el_gordo

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
DC (Da Capital)
Thanks -- I'll give Whitetail a call, although "camping" now days translates into "where can I park my RV???" and "tents" means I'm going someplace real crappy where body armor is still needed, but it weighs a lot more... :nopity:

dairy_dude

Chimp
Nov 19, 2004
Here's the schedual. I might be there for one dh or might be there for both.

The Inaugural

City Bikes
Capital Cup

Schedule of events

Friday June 23, 2006 8:00am Gates open!
9:00am Registration opens for all events.
9:30am Lift opens, all courses open for practice.
5:00pm Registration closes for the day.
6:00pm Lift, DH courses closed.
8:00pm Dual course closed.
Saturday June 24, 2006 8:00am Registration opens for all events.
No more vehicles allowed in expo area.
8:30am Lift opens, all courses open for practice.
11:30am Registration closed for YETI Dual.
12:30pm YETI Dual qualifying.
1:00pm Reg. closed for City Bikes Capital Cup.
3:00pm DH race #1 of the City Bikes Capital Cup.
5:30pm Lift closed.
6:00pm YETI Dual Finals. Awards to follow.
Sunday June 25, 2006 8:00am Registration opens (Md. St. Champ. Only).
8:30am Lift opens, all courses open for practice.
10:30am Registration closed.
1:00pm City Bikes Capital Cup DH Race #2/ Maryland State Championship.
4:00pm Lift Closed
4:30pm Awards Ceremony.

Schedule may be subject to change.

I've been told dual and dh won't have conflicting race scheduals.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Hooj Choons said:
$100 for DH (3 days, 2 races)
You've GOT to be MF'ing kidding me!

Yes, I understand that most races are ~$50 for a one day race with one day practice, but............ $100 for a race??

Is there a one day option?

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
yea, umm 100$? that's pretty unreasonable.... considering a 2 day lift/shuttle pass at snowshoe is 60$? if the price is $100, either I'm just gona do the DS, or I'm just not going at all.

Hooj Choons

Chimp
Apr 24, 2006
Reopened...for now.
It really isn't (just more than what you're used to) and this isn't snowshoe, you've got to pay to play.

Don't forget about gas cost to Snowshoe and if you're getting a room.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
well then GL trying to charge people a rediculous amount for the first race at whitetail - at a snowshoe race you pay 50-55 to race AND ride all weekend - just to let you know

Hooj Choons

Chimp
Apr 24, 2006
Reopened...for now.
and you get to ride all weekend here... If you really knew how much it cost to put this race on and advertise. The RE/RR guys worked on getting this event for years so here it finally is, take it or leave because it may not be around again.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Hey hooj, are you an employee of ski whitetail by any chance?

I remember when whitetail was one of the first and best lift accessed areas on the eastern seaboard and then the owner ****ING PULLED THE PLUG just as dh and fr were getting popular. I hope that guy comes out at the awards ceremony and kicks his own ass for being so stupid. The race is great and all, but when are the scores (probably hundreds) of DC area riders who now schlep to snowshoe and diablo going to have whitetail open again? If this is an attempt to guage the market size, more power to them, but the racer crowd and the weekend liftmonkey crowd are very different. If whitetail were open for business, it would create its own demand because people who ride xc and trails and urban might spring for big bikes if they have places to use them.

Whitetail IS going to gauge it's popularity on this event. That's why everyone should show up to this event. Granted it's not Diablo or that other place in WVA. But, both of those resorts are established resorts that have much $$$ to pump into thier mtb programs. We should support up-and-comming resorts just as much, if not more than other more popular places. Snowshoe and Diablo will be there next year, Whitetail maybe not.
RE/RR is made up of a bunch of working stiffs like the rest of us who put in thier own time to put these events on. The money you put down for the race is just that. FOR the race. It takes cash to get all of this done.

Support Local Racing
KD1569
Cyclist

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
For those who can't digest the entry fee for the capital cup($100) or simply can't make all three days, The Md. State Championship is Sunday's race and may be entered seperately for a fee of $60. Dual (Y format) will cost $30. $5000 in cash and $20,000 in product will be awarded this weekend so don't miss out!

Jan 18, 2006
100 Bucks is a good deal if you think about it. You get to ride on Friday and race on Saturday and Sunday, even if you don't do well on Saturday you can ride all day Sunday. At the Open if you didn't qualify you had to pay an additional 30 bucks just to ride on Sunday. Great deal for us!