Quantcast

Who can point me to the trail at the zoo?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Anyone? I see wveryone get off the MAX, but I tried to find it and couldn't. I want to ride it on my way to work tomorrow. Directions?

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
from the max go up the hill about 100 feet to the parking lot, go though it and you will see a trail going up the hill. If you take this one watch out for bitchy hikers, no bikes allowed. Its better if you ride it on a rainy day.

To avoid hikers you can take a right and go down the road, just past the archery range theres some wall rides, then down around the corner just past the tracks you can jump over the trail. Then if you go to the back left of the field theres a trail that goes over the tracks(you can jump them and bomb down, carfull it crosses a hiking trail.cross the field tough the gate and take a left down the road, or go further to single track of to the left. There used to be jump in this area but the got dozed. You can get up on the wall thing down there and ride across, its 30 foot drop to pavment on one side tough. then your on the street heading back to he max.

Another option at the railroad tracks is to hit the hiking trail by the water tower, there are less hikers on that one. Or instead of going down across the tracks stay on the road for 1/4 mile and look for trails on the right, theres some really steep shoots.

Another option is when you come out to the socer field go back up the road 100 feet and cut in on the hiking trail by the playground. were it comes out on the road intersection theres a drop of a leadge on your right. then go across the road from the from the drop and head up 100 feet or so and look for a trail on the left. theres steep shoots of this one all the way down. you come out on burnside and 25th.

wow thats alot of typing, hope this helps. if thats confusing just explore and you find all that stuff and more.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Yeah you need to ride up the hill from the zoo and take the first right. Follow that for a while and you will start seeign trai heads on your left. The one I always rode was just past the archery range. It started with a swotcack section, then once you cross the road and the zoo train tracks there are some more trails.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
I saw a post from 2004 that you made asking about the washington park, you still havent found the trails? What trail are you looking for? The jumps are gone they got flatend. There are two trials by the water tower, both are short but fun.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Ya riding at washinton park was not that exciting even when the jumps were still there. It is fun to do as part of a urban ride tough, and you dont have to drive for an hour.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was up there years ago with some others, but I wanted to hit it on the way to work as part of my commute.

I was talking with someone the other day on the MAX that said the jumps had been taken out, but there was construction going on. I was told it had changed a lot, so that's why I asked before getting lost up there is al.

Dr. Ill

Monkey
Nov 29, 2005
Probably the biggest thing there right now is the "road gap" over by the 50 stair. When you see the 50 stair take a left and go up the road aboyut 200 ft. look closely and you'll see a landing off to the right. The run in is to the left. It's like a 12 ft. gap with a 8 ft. drop.
Washington Park used to be cool until the jumps got dozed. =(

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Were is the road gap? At one point we were going to make a gap over the rail road, would have been a lot of work and run out on to a hiking trail so we gave up. Would have been sick to gap over the train tough. Used to be fun to wait for the train on that trail that you can jump over the tracks and hit it as close to the train as it passes as you could :). I am supprised those jumps lasted as long as they did, first jumps I ever built :).

Never mind I think I know what your talking about, above paved path that has the steep trails inbetween the path. You go though some ivy(might be a path tough there now) gap over the road and land on the grass(might be worn in now) and then bomb to the left to get on the single track hikeing trail?

Dr. Ill

Monkey
Nov 29, 2005
NOt quite.... It's not an actual road gap it's more like a trail gap, but we call it the road gap because it gets confussing with the trail gap on the main road. Just go to the 50 stair and then go up the road like 200 feet look to the left and you'll see the landing in the ivy. It takes lots of speed and the lip kinda sucks. It's all we got though...

cederrowe

Monkey
Feb 18, 2006
portland, oregon
To find the "road gap", Look for the Lewis and Clark statue at the top of the hill like Dr Ill said. That is the drop in for the hit, at the base of the statue ride down the hill across the road jump off the far side of the road and you will clear the trail about 8-10 down and 12 to 15 feet out, you will see the landing in the Ivy. Then there are some steep shutes down below that will drop you onto burnside.

Dr. Ill

Monkey
Nov 29, 2005
Ceder, how's the new trials?
We should check out a drop off where thee landslide was.
That'd be sick.
See you around,
Phil

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ceder, thanks for showing Tim and I those lines yesterday, I have been hitting all the wrong stuff! Now I have new stuff to hit on the way to work.