Quantcast

Who does the UCI think they are?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
From Cycling News... McQuaid talking about Tyler Hamiltons win in the Washington Hill Climb. For those of you who dont know Hamilton won it last year with Ned Overend coming in 2nd... same results this year. It's an unsanctioned event.

"McQuaid also commented on Hamilton’s participation in the Mount Washington hill climb, an unsanctioned event which he won last Saturday. In March the rider competed in a race which was part of the Stazio Criterium Series in Boulder. The UCI were not impressed and successfully put pressure on him to desist by threatening to freeze the licences of any riders who competed against him in these races."

I really am starting dislike the UCI... "The UCI were not impressed"? WTF is that? Who cares whether they were impressed or not... its not their event, and they were going to suspend pro tour riders if they raced it, just to get Hamilton to drop out? Where do they get off punishing roders that have nothing to do with Hamilton just for racing in a non sanctioned event that he happens to be in?

That is not the point. The point is that the UCI is acting like the mafia of cycling. It was going to suspend pro tour riders for riding in the race just because Tyler was racing it. WTF is that?
My understanding was, they were enforcing a rule that states pro riders are not to race in unsanctioned races. While this rule is pretty much overlooked and not enforced, they chose to enforce it in the series in which Tyler, and many other pro riders, participated in weekly.
Their goal was stop a banned rider (Tyler) from racing, the only way to keep him from riding a non sanctioned race was to threaten the rest of the feild.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
My understanding was, they were enforcing a rule that states pro riders are not to race in unsanctioned races. While this rule is pretty much overlooked and not enforced, they chose to enforce it in the series in which Tyler, and many other pro riders, participated in weekly.
Their goal was stop a banned rider (Tyler) from racing, the only way to keep him from riding a non sanctioned race was to threaten the rest of the feild.
Seems like some strong arm BS to me. :busted: :bonk: :cheers: :banghead: :pirate2: <----- hehehe