Quantcast

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Thats a huge improvement. I dont really understand the hate. Yes the old ones did bend but given similar build a 7050 crank should be much harder to bend than a 6061. Its a good upgrade. Id gladly see them on my dh bike.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
You don't understand the hate? This place is the hatin-est place on the internet.

Why do we have any less credibility than you? (person responsible for the tag)

I have no affiliation with Gravity other than the fact that I was left without a crankset when my 2010 Gravity Lights bent (see picture) and they didn't have any to replace them with so I was promised a set of the new version when the first shipment arrived. I guess if you consider amazing customer service marketing then yes...yay indeed.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Yes, the old version was made from 6061.
But it's not quite as easy as 5 stars is better than 4 stars, is it?

Higher number is only higher quality if it's used properly. I've ridden on some plain CrMo no-name frames that worked better than OX Platinum frames, despite the additional lightening and air-hardening of the OX Plat.

Proof is in the use. And they're still heavier than SLX/XT without any real benefit to that extra weight.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Not that I'd run any crank besides Shimano, but if I had to this would be it.
Shimanos are amazing. The little stuff they do like the chainring tabs on the Saints being thicker an having that little stepped edge kinda bugs me though. I had a set of Saints and they were the best cranks I've ever owned but when I wanted to run different kinds of chainguides...:confused: I know that's not a big deal at all but it got under my skin a bit. I'm hoping these will live up to my expectations and become a viable option for everyone.

They are physically bigger/thicker than the old version. Not by much, a mm here and there but it's apparent. As far as weight goes...I don't know yet. The only scale I have that is sensitive enough is battery operated and the expensive button batteries are dead. I was so excited to get these that I've already installed them on the bike. I'll get a proper measurement sooner than later though as I know that's probably the number one question on everyone's mind.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio

Higher number is only higher quality if it's used properly. I've ridden on some plain CrMo no-name frames that worked better than OX Platinum frames, despite the additional lightening and air-hardening of the OX Plat.

Proof is in the use. And they're still heavier than SLX/XT without any real benefit to that extra weight.
Will the SLX/XTs fit on my 83mm BB frame? (without buying some odd touring set and whopper jawing the install)

Actually forget I said that. No one buy these, buy SLX or XT cranks instead.

Proof is in the use, absolutely. I'll do my best to ruin these even if it's not on purpose.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
not at all related to the cranks but i´m quite happy with the old/cheap/basic/uncool stuff on my bike. somehow it just works and i´m not dependant on long customer service return times, if my saint derailleur is breaking again while pedalling uphill. cheaper stuff somehow has a quicker return time and the deore derailleur does what it is supposed to do. my brakes for example are over four years old and still working, am i doing it wrong?

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
not at all related to the cranks but i´m quite happy with the old/cheap/basic/uncool stuff on my bike. somehow it just works and i´m not dependant on long customer service return times, if my saint derailleur is breaking again while pedalling uphill. cheaper stuff somehow has a quicker return time and the deore derailleur does what it is supposed to do. my brakes for example are over four years old and still working, am i doing it wrong?
Actually I'd say you're doing it right. Buying time tested products that will last is smart and I wish I did more of it.

It's funny that you mention the Saint derailleur. Over the winter while doing my usual tear-down/inspection/cleaning I noticed that just about every pivot on my Saint mech is ovalized. It's shifts like crap now. My next derailleur will be something cheap, easy to replace and functional.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Actually I'd say you're doing it right. Buying time tested products that will last is smart and I wish I did more of it.

It's funny that you mention the Saint derailleur. Over the winter while doing my usual tear-down/inspection/cleaning I noticed that just about every pivot on my Saint mech is ovalized. It's shifts like crap now. My next derailleur will be something cheap, easy to replace and functional.
Just go with sram and be done with it :D

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Does anyone know why these cranks made out of 7000 series aluminum appear to use pedal inserts, while the competition (truvativ, shimano, raceface) doesn't in similiar applications?
I've heard of the occassional xt ripping threads out (from hard riding), has that happened with other brands??

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Does anyone know why these cranks made out of 7000 series aluminum appear to use pedal inserts, while the competition (truvativ, shimano, raceface) doesn't in similiar applications?
I've heard of the occassional xt ripping threads out (from hard riding), has that happened with other brands??
That's a great question. I'm getting some info from Gravity's engineers for the product feature, I'll be sure to ask them that question.

Quite honestly I'm from Irish descent and my ability to do anything is gointo quickly diminish from this point onward. For Christ's sake everyone it's St. Patrick's Day. Go grab some friends and make some memories.

My friends are the best friends
Loyal, willing and able.
Now let’s get to drinking!
All glasses off the table!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Yes but usualy 7050 is better than 6061 if you want no flex and bending. A good example of this differance is bars.
As for the without any benefit of extra weight - if they didnt **** up Id think they should be stronger than SLX and XT. I will wait for the reviews but they are still lighter than atlas and Id be very curious to try them.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I prefer my cranks without the noodley feeling that comes with g lites. I think Ill be sticking with my saints until they have been proven to not bend like a spineless hooker.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I prefer my cranks without the noodley feeling that comes with g lites. I think Ill be sticking with my saints until they have been proven to not bend like a spineless hooker.
In case of 7050 aluminium I doubt they will bend and feel noodley. Unless they crack they are good.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

Higher number? hahah. Aluminium alloy numbers are fairly arbitrary - the first number gives you a "series" which indicates the elements it's alloyed with, but that doesn't mean one is better or worse than another, they're just used for different things. 6061 is primarily used in applications that require high formability, high fatigue strength and excellent weldability, but its outright strength isn't all that high and its hardness is quite low. 7075, by way of contrast, is very hard, has very good strength characteristics but can't be welded. 7050 again sucks for welding, but is substantially stronger and harder than 6061.

Besides that, Gravity Lights aren't competing with Shimano's XC cranks... of course they're not the same weight. Few real DH bikes these days run 68/73 BBs so running XTs or SLXs isn't really feasible anyway. I'd be surprised if they were on par with Saints, which are great for fat hacks like me, but if they find a niche somewhere along the strong vs light curve then great, more options.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Id be interested in trying them. I too will wait until a few others have beat on them. With race face going out of business it will be good to have more dh options on the market that can take abuse. If Gravity can make them durable and keep the same low weight then it woudl be great option.

Don't compare them to SLX or XT. It would be exactly the same as saying saints weigh way more than SLX or XT's. No crap a DH crankset will weigh more than an XC/AM crankset. The interesting thing will be to see how much less they weigh then the saints, e13's, and how close they are to the descendants.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Is bending of the old cranks really that much of an issue? I've been rocking a pair on my 7pt for a few years with NO issues. Then again, this isn't my DH bike so the abuse is soemwhat more limited. That being said though, I would never put something that said "light" on my DH bike anyway. They do have granny-ring tabs after all!! Or at least mine do...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I would never put something that said "light" on my DH bike anyway. They do have granny-ring tabs after all!! Or at least mine do...
Aren't your granny tabs a removable mini spider? Mine were. I've had no problems during 1 season of DH pounding but it's nice to see an update that's theoretically stronger. Maybe if I ever do bend mine they'll give me the new ones.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I've had no problems with my two year old Gravity Lites either. My only complaint would be the black finish comes off too easily, so hopefully they improved that for this new version. 7050 should make them stronger than the older 6000 series version.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Gravity has had the same experience with their sponsored riders so I'm told. Sam Hill supposedly only went through two sets over a 3 year time period while Stevie Smith was bending them at an alarming rate.

The AL7050 version has been undergoing testing on Phil Sundbaum's bikes and are holding up just fine (again...so I'm told). Phil is about 6'5" and around 240 pounds, big dude.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Is bending of the old cranks really that much of an issue? I've been rocking a pair on my 7pt for a few years with NO issues. Then again, this isn't my DH bike so the abuse is soemwhat more limited. That being said though, I would never put something that said "light" on my DH bike anyway. They do have granny-ring tabs after all!! Or at least mine do...
Yeah it was actually. Our hire bike fleet in Whistler last year ran those things, probably 1 in 4 of them got bent over the course of the season. One good pedal clip and it's all over.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I think that makes them about the same weight as Atlas and barely lighter than Saints. So maybe we've found the sweet spot between weight and strength for aluminum DH cranks. Time for carbon........

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I'd be much more concerned about the sh***y interface FSA/Gravity insists on using between the spindle and the BB bearings. Really? a plastic bearing cover sleeve between two metal contact surfaces?