Quantcast

Who has ever panic'ed that they have left their bike outside?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I just had a sick feeling that I left my bike on the car rack unlocked. I had to check that it was sitting on its stand in my apartment.

Unfortunately, I have left my bike outside, maybe twice or three times in my life, so I will occasionally panic until I confirm it.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
all the time, When I am at a gas station buying food, I always freak. I am always looking at my car to make sure its there.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
one time i left my dh bike outside leaning against the front of my garage. my dad came in my room at like 6am and yelled at me to get outside and once i saw what i had done i nearly crapped myself. thank god this is a decent neighborhood.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Oh yeah, I've left my DH bike outside a couple of times after clearing out the garage and getting distracted, end up watching tv, then remember. My roommate's have a lot of expensive music stuff in there, as well as all my bike stuff, so every now and then I get this itch in the back of my mind and make sure that it's locked.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
mostly cause of rain not so much because it is unlocked...

Although I live in the city, I often times leave my bike on my porch unlocked after rides just to dry off or let the mud fall off. I am lucky that no one wants to climb the 22 steps up to the terrace to get onto my porch :twitch:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
The worst was when I use to rent my basement, and come home from work to see my tenant/housemate left the garage door open all day...with my 5 bikes inside the garage

splat

Nam I am
At home , No , I actually leave my Commuter right on my front porch unlocked all the time.

and Every so often come out int he morning to discover we left the garage door open all night ( with 15 bikes in there ).

Nice to be a safe neighborhood , off the beaten path. Plus 1/4 mile away is the most expensive neighborhood in town ( House cost 3-4 X what they do on my block ) .

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've woken up at 2:00am to remember that I left the bike leaning against the basement door. This is a decent neighborhood, at least until meth hits.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I've had some dreams recently where I stumbled in to find all my 'good' bikes gone. Hopefully it's not some kind of premonition.

Only time I ever worried about my bike being left outside was when I was 'paranoid' and standing around the other side of the car talking to a riding buddy. I had to keep checking to make sure it was still there. We were in his garage. Last time for that stuff.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
Left my bike outside for 3 days because i forgot to bring it in. The worst part was it rained one of the days and for some supid reason I pulled the seat post out, needless to say the BB was a goner.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
mostly cause of rain not so much because it is unlocked...

Although I live in the city, I often times leave my bike on my porch unlocked after rides just to dry off or let the mud fall off. I am lucky that no one wants to climb the 22 steps up to the terrace to get onto my porch :twitch:
I love having a garage now. My bikes sit in there to dry. But before my housemate would yell at me the entire riding season cause i would just carry the muddy bike into the basement, which was finished, when I didn't have the time to wash it.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I don't worry much around my house. But I don't leave them lying around much either.

I was eating at Popeye's one day and this sketchy dude was eyeballing the bikes on the rack. I watched him hang around for about 10 minutes and then went out and acted like I was going to another car. When I got about 15 feet away, I turned and screamed at him "You're wasting your time motherf*cker, those bikes are chained to the car!" He took off like a bat out of hell and came really close to getting run down when he ran into the highway. My buddy was laughing so hard he couldn't stand up.

And the chicken was really good.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I mostly worry that I've left the garage door open. Three bikes, two pair of skis, two snowboards and whatever power tools I have are in there. There's a nice storage area built into the back of it that has a work bench so I can at least keep the skis and snowboards out of sight.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i live in the woods. my bike is in front of my house unlocked. and its in an old barn unlocked. try finding my house. if you can ill give u the bike. i am well hidden.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I rode to work on Monday. After work, I went out to the rack and found that I had forgotten to lock my bike. I think that maybe the first time I've ever done that. Made me feel a little sick inside.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I did this last week. I left my bike in the back of my truck parked on the street. I woke up at like 2 AM in a panic. I ran outside and pulled my bike off in my skivies and flip flops.

My area is nice, but we have random people walk through and stuff has come up missing.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I don't worry much around my house. But I don't leave them lying around much either.

I was eating at Popeye's one day and this sketchy dude was eyeballing the bikes on the rack. I watched him hang around for about 10 minutes and then went out and acted like I was going to another car. When I got about 15 feet away, I turned and screamed at him "You're wasting your time motherf*cker, those bikes are chained to the car!" He took off like a bat out of hell and came really close to getting run down when he ran into the highway. My buddy was laughing so hard he couldn't stand up.

And the chicken was really good.
One time we left the bikes on the car rack in front of my apartment while we ate lunch on the stairs.

Some guy drove slowly past my car, eye'ing our bikes. I yelled out, "keep moving". The guy stops his car, and starts yelling that he is no thief.

Well, he pulls off, then about a minute later, apparently he circled the block and came back to yell at me that "I'm no Mexican. I'm Italian," and that he wasn't going to steal anything.

At this point, my buddy asks me if I have a gun, and that I should consider buying one. I had to agree.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I am extremely anal about locking my stuff up. My bikes are chained in my house as well as in our shop. I keep several cables locked on to help slow theivs down. I chain my stuff up at races. It is not that I do not trust anyone, its I really cant afford to replace stuff if it is stolen. Onece at mount snow I left my bike leaning against the truck in the parking lot after my race and went to watch at the Yard sale. When I came back down several hours later I almost had a complete break down. Thank goodness it was still there, but I was shaken for being so dumb.
My Grandfather always told me , " If you can live without it, don't wory about locking it up".

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I had some jackass climb up the rain gutter to steal my bike off the 2nd story balcony in the middle of the day. It was a Saturday and my apartment faced the pool. I heard the pedal hit the railing and I went to see what the noise was.

When I noticed my bike was gone, I ran out to see the guy picking it up off the ground. He beat me to the corner and I couldn't find anything to throw. The people around the pool said they didn't see anything.

Just on of many things that were stolen from me in San Diego though. I hate that place.

benjaminj

mr. amy
Mar 21, 2007
so. tahoe
I just had a sick feeling that I left my bike on the car rack unlocked. I had to check that it was sitting on its stand in my apartment.

Unfortunately, I have left my bike outside, maybe twice or three times in my life, so I will occasionally panic until I confirm it.

Anyone else feel the same way?
And I thought you started this thread to talk abouting leaving your bike in front of a house in Tahoe while you ate a fine Italian meal...

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
My bike sits at the foot of my bed unless im riding. Also installed is a gps tracker and registered with local police.

In my truck dual chained and parked closest to the entrance of where ever i am.

Once forgot it outside of garage after washing it down, got distracted in house and luckily was still out there, and luckily i know "Dog the Bounty Hunter" go in peace brah!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Whenever I go into a store, i'm really paranoid. I constantly look at it. I even take my bike into public bathrooms. When I was riding in San Diego, I took it into the bathroom outside the Zoo. A bunch of people came in and it got crowded.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I have 2 vicious killer cats at home that provide all the security I need...but I never leave my bikes unattended...either a fellow rider is watching mine or it goes where I go....D

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I have never left my bike outside, but someone else did once and I almost had to kill them. In 2003 I got carted off the mountain with a broken shoulder at the Durango national. I didn't want to leave my DH bike with the course official, but he promised me that he would have it driven down the mountain and locked up in the first aid storage room, an area that was designated for just this type of situation. I get back to purgatory about 5 hours later, drive up to the medical building and see my Foes Mono sitting outside leaning up against the side of the building!!!! It had been there all afternoon. I blew a freakin fuse!

(but was extemely happy it hadn't been jacked)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have 2 vicious killer cats at home that provide all the security I need...but I never leave my bikes unattended...either a fellow rider is watching mine or it goes where I go....D
My bikes all sit in my basement with my 80 lb pit bull mix. The basement it rarely locked. Me pup is gentle and kind as can be when I am around, doesn't even bark when someone comes to the door. When I am not home I have been told he cops a serious attitude when people come near the house. It is like he knows he is supposed to watch things when I am not home, but punches off the clock once I'm back.

i had to drive home from work once because i just couldn't remember closing the garage door that morning. 30 miles later and an hour after i left the house originally, i get back to the house i found the garage door wide open. i sure was glad something triggered my fear that morning...

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
My bikes all sit in my basement with my 80 lb pit bull mix. The basement it rarely locked. Me pup is gentle and kind as can be when I am around, doesn't even bark when someone comes to the door. When I am not home I have been told he cops a serious attitude when people come near the house. It is like he knows he is supposed to watch things when I am not home, but punches off the clock once I'm back.
Thats the kind of dog that I want

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, everytime I see this thread now, I wonder if I brought my bike inside...