Quantcast

who knows about SYNCROS???

jonikl

Chimp
Apr 6, 2002
richmond bc
I found a syncros hardcore post in our shop, I'm pretty sur ethis post was quite spendy at one time.
We've got it priced at 30.00USD

I've met Pip and he seems like the kind of guy that wouldn't make crap.

how will this post last?

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
The post should hold up fine, however there is no more warranty support for it. So if something did go wrong then you would be out of luck. $30 is pretty go though.

Universe

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Courtenay, BC
Originally posted by Motionboy2
The post should hold up fine, however there is no more warranty support for it. So if something did go wrong then you would be out of luck. $30 is pretty go though.
Ritchie bought Syncros. Are they not honoring warranty?

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by Universe
Ritchie bought Syncros. Are they not honoring warranty?
I thought GT bought Syncros? Last I heard there was no warranty for Syncros any longer. This may have changed, I have not been looking into it.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
I thought GT bought Syncros? Last I heard there was no warranty for Syncros any longer. This may have changed, I have not been looking into it.
ritchey bought it from pacific. just can't remember if it was before the shiet hit the fan or not.

but that post will do you fine man. those things were SUPER SUPER sweet for their time. hell still are.

jonikl

Chimp
Apr 6, 2002
richmond bc
I know GT bought Syncros, hence the reason we have this post.
It was bought withh a huge box of stuff the owner drove down to LA to get when GT was closing out the factory.
I didn't know ritchey bought them.....
but then again that's why I'm asking about the post.
thanks for the info

I'm not worried about warranty, posts are cheap enough.
for 20.00USD I can't really pass this up since I'm in the market for a new post:)

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I had that post back in '96, when Syncros was the best stuff around. It's still on a beater bike, it held up well for years. I'd say go for it at $20.

I also still have a Syncros hinged stem in my box of parts. They made great parts in their day.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
went out of biz and got bought by Pacific which didn't do anything with Syncros. Ritchey recently bought the Syncros brand name because they wanted to sell to the Freeride and DH market and the Ritchey name is associated with XC.

Syncros was started Bt pippin Osborne (old room mate of mine) and Peter Hamilton. They started small with fenders and seat posts.

Pippin is now part of Banshee Bikes and doing really well. They sold out of nearly all their stack from last year. His warehouse and office is across the street from my friends furniture shop.

A lot of big mountain bike people came out of Vancouver in the early 80's. I worked at a shop called West Point Cycles in 82. Pippin was the manager. Jacob Heilbron, Grayson Baine and Sammy Mak were the owners of that shop and two others in the chain. Peter Hamilton managed the downtown store and a fellow named Dan Gerhardt managed the Broadway store.

Jacob ended up running Kona with Dan. Grayson made Rocky Mountain a go. Some of the other employees at West Point did well too. I think it was Don Whitaker who started up BLT lights. A couple others who's names I forget at the moment ended up in the US at big manufacturers.

I think the Syncros hardcore parts were pretty good but there won't be any warrantee. I went through 3 posts in two years. The had an issue with the shafts being a bit too small for the head and many split. I don't think that was the hardcore post though.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
The last press release I read about Ritchey buying up Syncros had Ritchey stating they had done so to gain some prestige with the FR movement spawned by our northern brethern. However, that same article had Ritchey saying that they were going to do all their Sycnros manufacturering in Asia.

So, anything you buy on closeout is probably good. I'd be suspect of anything new with the Syncros name until is has been proven in the field. Henceforth, if you get new Syncros and you think it's been pumped out by worthy freeriders during their working hours, you're wrong. It'll probably made by someone who has never ridden a mountain bike for fun.

jonikl

Chimp
Apr 6, 2002
richmond bc
I'm worried about this press fit piece that lies between the post and clamp.
Looks sort of chincy.. if you look at it from the underside there is a gap on one side.... and space in between the press fit piece and the post

I'll spring for the diabolos or thompson
thanks for all the info
oh yeah this post is dated 95
going in the sidewalk sale bin next month
unless someone wants its