Quantcast

Who makes light housing????

suga_stie

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Redlands, CA
I usually buy housing from the LBS. Today I just bought some for my brake cables and noticed that it feels heavie than usual... Then I looked closer and noticed that the "insides" are not that braided-type wire that i usually see, but actually solid/continuous.. (still hallow of course)

. Not sure if that makes any sense... but it didn't look like the usual situation I see inside the housing...

What about the cable/housing combos you can buy (usually with the teflon coating on the cable... ??? Is that stuff typically better?

:confused:

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by suga_stie
I usually buy housing from the LBS. Today I just bought some for my brake cables and noticed that it feels heavie than usual... Then I looked closer and noticed that the "insides" are not that braided-type wire that i usually see, but actually solid/continuous.. (still hallow of course)

. Not sure if that makes any sense... but it didn't look like the usual situation I see inside the housing...

What about the cable/housing combos you can buy (usually with the teflon coating on the cable... ??? Is that stuff typically better?

:confused:
You are such a weight weenie!!;) :p Brake housings are supposed to look that way, it is the shifting housings that are striated. At for the weights, I've never even thought of that, but I'm sure someone here will know what the poop is.

Its good to finally see you on the :monkey: ! Welcome aboard! (sucka!):devil:

suga_stie

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Redlands, CA
howdy der VT!

:)

yes i am becoming a weight weinie! hahah! :devil:

you should see my set up now, talking about weight loss! i hooked up those 517s with XTR hubz! i put the 395g kenda klimax light tire on the back and the kharisma lite (550g) on the frizzont. used the kenda lite tubes too... (kenda is my tire sponsor and i get the hookup!)

but you know, i still think my bike with it's lite wheelz can take a good beating! we'll see when i bring it out to pedro's!

hey i also had some posts in the mechanic's Q/A about cassettes and stuff. i am making the rounds!

hey i like your new bike. did you go with the psylo or not? i see you had some posts knockin the psylo.. i have one on my bike (the SL). it is a weight hog! i need to drop a lb or 2 on the front fork fo sho! i need some $$$ to buy a new one though.. through my team we get Marzocchi dealzzz

:D :D

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
There are a bunch of carbon housing out there too, ask you LBS to look it up for you in one of their distributor catalogs. I think Gore (or maybe Avid) makes a pretty sweet lightweight set. It's noticeably lighter (I don't mean it's going to shave pounds off your bike, but if you hold lightweight and standard you'll surely tell the diff.)