Quantcast

who makes the best cranks?

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
mountain. i like the race face isis, but they are more than i could every hope to afford (i guess it would help if i had a job). you know what is funny though? when just a set of brake levers can cost more than an entire bike at walmart or kmart or something like that. hahaha:devil: :D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
i think the race face isis stuff is realllllllllllllllllllllly nice. but if you don't have the money for them the lx and xt cranks are really nice. lx and xt are the exact same crank except the xt's have much better chain rings. or what you can do is keep saving and either get a set of the 03 xtr cranks n bb or a set of race face next lp's and a Bill Schook isis bb and you're set.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I would have to agree with the XT as far as value goes. Stiff, look kinda nice, and work damn well... all this for less than $100 if you get a decent price!

Only disadvantage is the stupid shimano Octa-Link so you need a new bottom bracket.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
As far as rings go, it's no contest - Shimano. As far as arms go, Race Face is hard to beat (unless you want ultimate strength - then it's Profile). Shimano Hollowtechs are pretty good too.

Truvativs are junk, btw. Everybody and their brother in law strips out the pedals.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
I love my RF isis. they are sweeeett. i did not even think i would notice the difference but you can. they are stiffer than standard taper bb's. i also have a pair of RF regular taper that i love and they have served me well for many years (you can get much better deals on these as well)

if you got the cash, that new xtr looks super nice!

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
Undoubtedly the RaceFace system has gotta be the best, all things considered. I've looked at all the other options but always come back to the RF (which IMO isn't all that expensive... look at XTR for pricey!)

But for a budget? Shimano Deore Splined! That's what I'm running for temporary use, and it's great - splined and uses the hollowtech design, formerly only available on XTR.. pretty cool combo for under $100 if you ask me!