Votes: 31 46.3%
  • No, but I used to smoke

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I am thinking about starting

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
J

JRB

You didn't give an option of me smoking at bars back when I dipped snuff. I don't smoke now, and don't like being around smokers.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I smoked for about 14 years total. I quit for about a year and a half when my (ex) wife was pregnant in 1991, then quit for good in 1997.

Funny thing was, I was still a decent climber when I smoked. Me and a buddy who also smoked and rode mtb's would reach the top of climbs before everyone else on group rides. The looks on people's faces as they crest a hill and you're there waiting at a fork in the trail smoking - classic.

I'm glad I finally kicked it. I'd like to see what my kid accomplishes in life.

My mother has smoked since she was 11. We're waiting for that trainwreck to arrive. :nonono:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I recall taking a smoke break at the top of a long climb on a sweet trail that was behind a friends house. There was a rock to sit on overlooking the valley and the view was amazing. We would sit and puff a cig before strting the long decent. Man, those were the days.

I miss the ride, not the smoke.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
H8R said:
Funny thing was, I was still a decent climber when I smoked. Me and a buddy who also smoked and rode mtb's would reach the top of climbs before everyone else on group rides. The looks on people's faces as they crest a hill and you're there waiting at a fork in the trail smoking - classic.
I used to ride with a dude like that. He was just naturally fast I guess. Used to piss me off :D

He doesn't ride anymore though. :(

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
You didn't give an option of me smoking at bars back when I dipped snuff. I don't smoke now, and don't like being around smokers.
So you still dip snuff?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I smoked in high school because it was cool. Quitting was easy because I was never much of a smoker to begin with.

These days I don't smoke, don't like it, but I don't crucify people who do smoke. Unless they smoke cigars. Might as well be smoking a big turd. it looks and smells like one to begin with.

As for chewing tobacco... oh yeah, let's restrict the cancer to places we can see it. :thumb:

:D

Now, reefer on the other hand....

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Ciaran said:
I smoked in high school because it was cool. Quitting was easy because I was never much of a smoker to begin with.
I am always interested to hear stuff like this, and only because it wasn't necessarily 'cool' at my HS to smoke. I know lots of kids who did, but I was never asked/pressured. My friends (many of whom were in the "in crowd") knew better than to even offer me one.

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
Looks like I'm not the only dumbass in the smoking section...

Not just the smoking section. :think:

Give me some approval love, bitch.

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
Now that your green is deflated huh?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to loco again.
I repped your sorry ass when it was up. I need to get Wumpus and Ciaran in here.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
I've been quitting for 2 years... Though it seems the preparing to quit stage and the 'failed quitting so I'm pissed at myself and smoke a lot' stage seem to last longer than the not smoking stages...

Midget

Chimp
Aug 3, 2003
take a left at the tree
I've never smoked a cig, but answered yes because cigars and hookah are great ways to meet new people at parties. Plus they lack most of the harmful ingredients and aren't that addictive.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Started at the age of 14 and quit at the age of 27. Strong heart and lungs are not in my genealogy, and fitness from mt. biking are major factors of why i left smoking behind. That and they're like over $5 a pack in this state.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I've been thinking about giving smoking another try. I really like the idea of making people walk through a smoke cloud whenever they enter or exit a door.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Recently I've been smoking a pack on the weekends. Don't usually smoke during the week. If I didn't drink I wouldn't smoke. Doesn't help that ciggies are really cheap here and everybody smokes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, just to stir the pot a little, my definitition of a smoker is someone who smokes, even just a little.

I have never had a cigarette, and I would never desire one under any circumstance.

There are smokers, non-smokers, and ex-smokers. Even if you smoke one cigarette a decade, to me you are smoker.

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
sanjuro said:
BTW, just to stir the pot a little, my definitition of a smoker is someone who smokes, even just a little.

I have never had a cigarette, and I would never desire one under any circumstance.

There are smokers, non-smokers, and ex-smokers. Even if you smoke one cigarette a decade, to me you are smoker.

If someone rides a mountain bike once in a decade do you think they are a mountain biker?