Quantcast

Whoops....JD gets busted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pZyteX

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
Amsterdam
I hate that spirit of the sport thing, while some people might like the fame and money (except for downhill 'cause there is no money) most athletes just want to compete with the best. Casey Stoner once said in an interview that he just wants to race he doesn't care about the fame or the money he just wants to be out there competing with the best.
So I say let atheletes do all the (non performance enhancing) drugs they want.
That being said if you sign up for a racing license you agree to a couple of rules and if you break those your stupid.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I was under the impression that only the DH riders were tested for THC and not the XC guys. Is this still the policy, or has it changed and I'm way off base?

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
So it does violate the spirit of sport in US but not in Holland? Is the spirit of sport in holand really different than the US one? Lets call a Jihad!!!
absolutely. people in the U.S. are a lot more uptight than in Europe, let alone Holland.

and pot is illegal in Holland, but it is tolerated in the coffee shops

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
absolutely. people in the U.S. are a lot more uptight than in Europe, let alone Holland.

and pot is illegal in Holland, but it is tolerated in the coffee shops
Seriously?
I know it's the best source but why there are licenses for it then? I think the word tollerated should be used in countries where it is illegal to sell but legal to posess small amounts (ie. Poland in short time or Germany now If I'm not wrong).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_the_Netherlands

Also I can give you an india example where the government owns the shop that sells it for "ritual purposes"

WillCollins

Chimp
Jun 7, 2009
I was under the impression that only the DH riders were tested for THC and not the XC guys. Is this still the policy, or has it changed and I'm way off base?
Just had a conversation about this a few days ago, and I believe the conclusion we came to was that it is not a banned substance for those types of disciplines. However, if it is found it is still considered bad and after a couple warnings could warrant the same type of punishment.

It's a bummer for JD though, hopefully this doesn't affect his sponsorship situation for 2010...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Seriously?
I know it's the best source but why there are licenses for it then? I think the word tollerated should be used in countries where it is illegal to sell but legal to posess small amounts (ie. Poland in short time or Germany now If I'm not wrong).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_the_Netherlands
yes, it is tolerated there but still illegal. they are focusing (and thankfully so) on drugs that are more dangerous

i was so nervous when i was there smoking in coffee shops but i smoked in front of a cop and he didnt do anything....weird feeling for an American.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
yes, it is tolerated there but still illegal. they are focusing (and thankfully so) on drugs that are more dangerous

i was so nervous when i was there smoking in coffee shops but i smoked in front of a cop and he didnt do anything....weird feeling for an American.
Wait what is illegal if the government licensess the coffee shops that officialy sell it?

Also look for the day of cannabis or sth along the lines in BC. I've seen footage of policemen complaining that "the smell" annoys them ;) I think that is a place where it is illegal (they still chase grow-ops) but tolerated.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
It is sad to see talented riders self destruct.

Gary Houseman is my Brother in law and he is just now getting the bitter taste of the cycling community out of his mouth from that whole deal and is finally out riding bikes for fun.

i don't support what Gary did as being right or OK, and although G thinks the whole deal is BS he knows he broke a rule, but the penalty delivered to him was 2 years and i believe 3500 swiss francs! that seems like a very strong penalty when they don't even test for it for XC.
The fact that it (at the time, not sure now) was not tested for in XC is such a ridiculous double standard.....

but i am with Dylan Dean on this.

It is a rule.

When you sign your name to get your pro license you are agreeing to the rules of the governing body.

Is it a rule that needs to be removed? i can see why that could be argued, i can't see how it would help in performance, it may help in some areas but the whole effect of it i think is negative to performance enhancement.

The Simple fact is when you are signed up to race at a USAC or UCI race you are agreeing to a set of rules, one being that you don't smoke pot.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
It is sad to see talented riders self destruct.

Gary Houseman is my Brother in law and he is just now getting the bitter taste of the cycling community out of his mouth from that whole deal and is finally out riding bikes for fun.

i don't support what Gary did as being right or OK, and although G thinks the whole deal is BS he knows he broke a rule, but the penalty delivered to him was 2 years and i believe 3500 swiss francs! that seems like a very strong penalty when they don't even test for it for XC.
The fact that it (at the time, not sure now) was not tested for in XC is such a ridiculous double standard.....

but i am with Dylan Dean on this.

It is a rule.

When you sign your name to get your pro license you are agreeing to the rules of the governing body.

Is it a rule that needs to be removed? i can see why that could be argued, i can't see how it would help in performance, it may help in some areas but the whole effect of it i think is negative to performance enhancement.

The Simple fact is when you are signed up to race at a USAC or UCI race you are agreeing to a set of rules, one being that you don't smoke pot.
WORD.

If you can't put down the bong to ride your bike for a living; you might have a problem.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It's not like you have a choice if you want to race at a professional level.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
This is what people don't get.

When you get pulled over for going 70 in a 55 and get a ticket, do you argue with the police officer that the speed limit shouldn't be 55?

I'm just about the biggest proponent for the combonation of weed smoking and bike riding, but the dude broke the rules. The penalty seems pretty slack, so I think he got off easy.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
This is what people don't get.

When you get pulled over for going 70 in a 55 and get a ticket, do you argue with the police officer that the speed limit shouldn't be 55?

I'm just about the biggest proponent for the combonation of weed smoking and bike riding, but the dude broke the rules. The penalty seems pretty slack, so I think he got off easy.
Seriously? Do you know no one that complained about ridiculous speed limits? No one complains to the cop but we didn't hear JD complaining to the USAC/UCI.

The whole talk is just that the rule is ridiculous. No one is saying he did right and now all the riders shoud do pot to support him and start a pothead revolution.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
"What are the criteria for adding a substance to the List?

Must meet any 2 of the following 3 criteria:
• It has the potential to enhance or enhances sport performance;
• It represents an actual or potential health risk to the athlete;
• It violates the Spirit of Sport."

I don't see how pot violates 2 of these criteria? It doesn't enhance performance. Smoking it can be harmful, but eating or vaporizing has no known health risks, and the test cannot prove how it was consumed. I don't see how smoking violates "spirit of sport" anymore than drinking beer does.
I like some good 'erb as well as the next guy, but like it or not no matter how it is consumed (like any drug) there are health risks that go along with it.

On that note, maybe thats why he likes the PNW so much...wait, what?

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
It's not like you have a choice if you want to race at a professional level.
my point exactly.

I know JD isn't complaining on here, but knowing JD i bet somewhere he is, I can picture him saying, that rule sucks and there is know way it is performance enhancing.

I personally have had this talk with him more then a couple times.

Like i said i think its a bogus rule and a giant double standard.

But man how many times do we have to see riders who have great potential screw it up with poor decisions.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Damn son! He needs to get an Rx....but then it probably still wouldn't matter.

One reason I have heard it is banned is due to its "Fear Inhibiting" characteristics. Although isn't it known for making people paranoid? It's just a stupid rule. If pot is bad, then they should ban beer (alcohol), too.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Every ride I've done with AC where smoke was present he would always do a quick loop on his own away from the group, and come back when people were done. I always assumed the reason he took the upmost care to avoid even second hand smoke was because it was banned for UCI XC as well. Its hard for me to find logic in a substance banned in a single catagory and not across the board.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
whether there is a rule or not, smoking weed probobly wont make you faster, if anything, it makes you slower.

there should not need to be a rule. i dont know the guys personally, but i would wager that peaty or hill dont smoke MJ out of 'the spirit of the sport'. and if they do, go pot smokers!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
they worry about other drugs that are far more harmful than pot is. they regulate it, but it is still illegal
How you can regulate something it is illegal therefore banned? It is licensed and limited. It's like you'd say morphine or guns are illegal ;)

Actualy it would be good if someone finally revised peoples view on MJ as a harmfull gateway drug. Especialy the Nixonian tests for the healths risks of MJ were really bogus. That could help get rid of such idiotic rules.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
WORD.

If you can't put down the bong to ride your bike for a living; you might have a problem.
if you oversimplify complex issues of human metabolism, psychoactivity, and pharmacology into a single conclusion, you definitely have a problem.

the rank hypocrisy of allowing Rx pharma out the arse, while banning THC and cannabinol -- astounding.

as to legality -- when did the UCI get into the game of enforcing America's laws? are UCI reps going to follow all UCI licensed pros to make sure they never speed, run red lights, spit in public, jaywalk, pee in public, et cetera?

also as to legality -- seems to me there's medical marijuana to throw a GIANT spanner in this "it's illegal" argument.

oops.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
if you oversimplify complex issues of human metabolism, psychoactivity, and pharmacology into a single conclusion, you definitely have a problem.

the rank hypocrisy of allowing Rx pharma out the arse, while banning THC and cannabinol -- astounding.

as to legality -- when did the UCI get into the game of enforcing America's laws? are UCI reps going to follow all UCI licensed pros to make sure they never speed, run red lights, spit in public, jaywalk, pee in public, et cetera?

also as to legality -- seems to me there's medical marijuana to throw a GIANT spanner in this "it's illegal" argument.

oops.
the article mentions making special cases for those who can prove it is necessary.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
my point exactly.

I know JD isn't complaining on here, but knowing JD i bet somewhere he is, I can picture him saying, that rule sucks and there is know way it is performance enhancing.

I personally have had this talk with him more then a couple times.

Like i said i think its a bogus rule and a giant double standard.

But man how many times do we have to see riders who have great potential screw it up with poor decisions.
massive respect for your skills and accomplishments. massive.

however...

sounds like riders should work to change the double-standard rule. I don't think rolling over on one's back and waiting for the UCI to rub a rider's belly like a good submissive dog is a very good tactic.

Frederick Douglass once observed that power never yields anything without a struggle. this seems something worth struggling for. I know people who suffer from anxiety and depression who get terrible relief from Rx pharma but excellent results from smoking weed. they're not exactly isolated cases either.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Every ride I've done with AC where smoke was present he would always do a quick loop on his own away from the group, and come back when people were done. I always assumed the reason he took the upmost care to avoid even second hand smoke was because it was banned for UCI XC as well. Its hard for me to find logic in a substance banned in a single catagory and not across the board.
I'm still under the impression that it's for DH guys, as a know a handful of former pro xc turned Cat 1 road racers who indulge regularly. again, i'm all for putting it on the banned substance list, so long as everyone is held to the same standard.

Salty_T_Dog

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Logan, UT
It's just stupid. No one is arguing over the fact it is illegal duh. Take a brief history lesson to see how it was Illegalized started by the Mormons in Utah when Mexicans kept coming and bugging them what did they do they outlawed marijuana as way to get rid of immigrants let me remind you it has been around as long as alcohol and has widely avaible use and wasn't ever made illegal till we had minority issues in the United States. So what I am trying to say anyone who's ever smoked pot or knows someone who does knows its a bunch of crap. The guy who is singly handed responsible for banning it said this in court "Harry J. Anslinger"(racist dip sh**) It makes white women sleep with negros. And not to mention the whole cotton advisary. Where I am going with this is one it should never be illegal. It was banned for all the wrong reason with bull **** propaghanda that you have to be literaly eating **** to believe. Sorry for my grammar its not the best.

Salty_T_Dog

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Logan, UT
And I'll add I personally believe alcohol should be put on the same list if you believe that weed turns you into middle aged man wearing boxxers eating potato chips watch re runs of sienfield.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
massive respect for your skills and accomplishments. massive.

however...

sounds like riders should work to change the double-standard rule. I don't think rolling over on one's back and waiting for the UCI to rub a rider's belly like a good submissive dog is a very good tactic.

Frederick Douglass once observed that power never yields anything without a struggle. this seems something worth struggling for. I know people who suffer from anxiety and depression who get terrible relief from Rx pharma but excellent results from smoking weed. they're not exactly isolated cases either.
Thanks for the props, i consider myself very fortunate to have been able to see and do the things i have due to the bicycle.

Two points on the topic, first it's, Not really my fight to fight, honestly it's easier just to not smoke pot... then it's not really a double standard, just meaningless words really.

i know technically it still is as the XC guys get to smoke and the gravity set don't, but i prefer a tall Brewski. i don't judge others that smoke, and i definitely don't see the performance enhancement of it? if i was cuffed to the inside of a car and the two choices of driver i had were drunk or high I'm picking the smoker every time!

ha ha

Second point is have you heard how gnarly dealing with UCI is on rules.

Good luck with that one.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
im sorry but its weed, who gives a ****. I dont even smoke it and dont care if anyone does. its not like it makes you stronger or faster or gives you a unfair advantage.

if anything, directly after a race JD might hit up the food court.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Second point is have you heard how gnarly dealing with UCI is on rules.

Good luck with that one.
Yeah I know. I didn't mean to suggest you're the one to lead the fight. I just get to thinking if I'm JD, or Myles, or anyone who enjoys smoking weed and racing gravity events, I'd find some angles to argue. Medical marijuana seems the most sensible for the Cali based racers since your state seems to have the most promise for legal medical marijuana of all the 50 states.

Sure it's a hell of a lot easier to skip puffing if it's illegal in the UCI's eyes... but then I look at the roadies and I know that a lot of those cats are using illegal substances all the time, they have scientists working on ways to dope blood to make those Alps stages less painful, et cetera. There are some serious problems with massive hypocrisy, even sanctioned hypocrisy. There's also the issue of Rx anti-anxiety meds -- man, anyone can convince a shrink that he/she suffers from massive anxiety and then get a tranquilizer Rx which would assist in pre-race jitters. I'm actually surprised it's not more common -- or at least more commonly mentioned.

Also the XC racers should be tested too. I know that I can haul ass up long painful climbs after puffing, when if I'm not puffing I feel the pain a lot more. If I were an XC racer it would be in my bag of tricks for sure, the puffing.

You're welcome for sure on the props. Deserved!

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
You mean aside from the fact that it's illegal...
Speeding is also illegal...Are you saying every guys racing the world cups should have been sanctioned at some point? 'Cause Im pretty sure every single one of them has been caught at least once in their life...Come on,make your own opinion and stop believing in all the propaganda crap.I sure hope if you dont smoke it isnt because you are afraid of getting caught?!?!

...Hec I dont even smoke and I think its stupid it isn't legal yet.Cigarette, or even alcohol have both been proven many times they could be much worst for the human body...but someone's making money selling then so then it becomes a political matter.Because politicians says its a good and/or a bad thing does that make it the absolute truth???As a society we may have made a decision to make it illegal but that was years ago when we knew nothing about the drug itself .Now,Im pretty sure a good chunk of people wouldnt give a flying **** if he drug became legal...To me its all political bull****

Back to topic,should UCI get involve in your personal life ? Smoking weed will certainty NOT make you a better rider.

Problem is, I think this goes far beyond the simple UCI world and a lot of things will needs to change in our society before MJ becomes legal.

Now as for JD, well Im sorry for the guy, but avoid to smoke weed is one fairly easy thing to do and he failed not to do it...kinda lame but whatever no big deal for me.He's just a kid and Im hopefully he'll learn from his mistake, like we all do...

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Bummer for JD. Rules are the rules though (as stupid as they may be), and if he wants to take it seriously then it shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

"The only way smoking pot is a performance enhancing drug is if theres a big f*cking Hersheys bar at the bottom of the hill"-Robin Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.