Quantcast

who's holdn out for new boxxer?

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
sounds like it may be june before they are ready to go? i heard april, then may, to me that means mid june.
what a crummy time for people like me that already sold the old fork. i am thinking about throwin on a single crown to hold out, hate to by the older version at this point, since i already owned 2. i am a compulsive seller not a buyer for sure :disgust:

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Lots of people are in the same boat - personally I am going to buy a used Domain (have a 180mm 1 1/8 318? PM me :busted:) to ride until the new Boxxer is finally available. It works out well for me because I want to build up a SS bike so I can use the Domain for that, and I'll have a back up if I get hit with some first-run problems that require the fork to go back to RS or something.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would buy an old used Team or Race and hold out honestly. It would suck to have an entire summer of riding ruined due to not having the latest-and-greatest fork out there.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
The new Boxxer is pretty sweet for sure. A friend of mine got his recently. I know alot of teams have been getting their orders filled in the last few weeks which leads me to believe that it shouldn't be too long until distributors start getting theirs.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm pretty happy on my 07 WC. I can't really see any fork being so much better its worth an extra 1500 dollars (assuming I can get at least 300+ for mine). Remove the speedstack, and presto, you're good to go. Sure, the rebound is a little funky, but its nothing a push tune can't solve!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I have one on hold but I am not holding out. I will be running my 08 WC and enjoying it.

If I didn't get the deal that I am getting then I wouldn't be getting one. First year product runs scare me.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
As decent as the new fork looks, RockShox has had a history of bad first runs of products. They really mean 2010 Boxxer because that's when they'll be all ironed out.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I'm waiting on one. I'll probably miss the US open because of it. I dont really mind though, I'll have an equally good time riding XC some place. Sure sucks for all the people who only ride chairlifts though.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I am not waiting anymore. My 2010 Boxxer WC showed up yesterday. :D :D :D The word on the street is that the WC are in the states and the Teams are a little over a month out. Get your orders in. I hear that there is a fair number already on order.

Obviously, I haven't mounted it or ridden it yet (at least on the bike;) ). I had to get my MX bike preped last night for a ride this afternoon. I'll be putting it on and taking it for a ride on Saturday.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I'll rock my 03 boxxer race until I become wealthy or when the prices drop. I wish they hadn't come out with it.. I would have long ago just gotten a used 06-09 team. :)

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I was going to wait for a new Team fork, but traded my Totem Solo-Air for a 2008 Boxxer Team, and couldn't be happier. What a fantastic fork.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I can't afford those $1400 forks. Even if i could, i wouldn't get it. It wouldn't make me a better rider. A 888 fork does fine for me. About all the new WC fork would do for me is make my bike look pimpy.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah, unlike Fox and Marzocchi.
Every company has had a bad run. It's just about unavoidable in any kind of production. But take a look. RockShox has historically had big problems with EVERY new release. That is different than the occasional problems.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
i've my worldcup on order. Won't have it till august though. First batch into the uk was sold out already. Looking forward to them but think im gonna wait and put them on my 2010 whip

Oct 8, 2003
I am not waiting anymore. My 2010 Boxxer WC showed up yesterday. :D :D :D The word on the street is that the WC are in the states and the Teams are a little over a month out. Get your orders in. I hear that there is a fair number already on order.

Obviously, I haven't mounted it or ridden it yet (at least on the bike;) ). I had to get my MX bike preped last night for a ride this afternoon. I'll be putting it on and taking it for a ride on Saturday.
Where did you get it from? Local Shop? BTI, Quality?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Where did you get it from? Local Shop? BTI, Quality?
other

Edit: sorry I was short on the reply. I was trying to get out of work quick. Anyway, I buy my bike parts from a shop (B3 - Bikes, Blades and Boards) 3 hours away in Detroit. So not quite a local shop, but a good shop. All of the shops around here don't do DH stuff.

Last edited:
May 30, 2005
A$$pen
As decent as the new fork looks, RockShox has had a history of bad first runs of products. They really mean 2010 Boxxer because that's when they'll be all ironed out.
Which means you'll get it in June, start breaking it in July, warranty it in August and get it back in September. That said, I broke my 08 Boxxer in 15 days and that wasn't even a first year product.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
The damper shaft is MUCH larger than the previous forks, so there is a good bit more oil displacement in the damper. The fork feels much more damped than the old Boxxer, but it opens up well on square hits, probably the added oil flow. It kind of has thee "feels crappy in the parking lot" thing, but so far it has been great on the trail. I realized after Fluidride Cup #1 that I probably should have speed up the ending stroke rebound a little for that course. I guess the epic quantity of adjustments might actually be good to have!

Only complaint I have had is the "Drop Stop" - the elastomer in mine (Team, since World Cups have air volume adjustment) was very stiff and seemed to prevent the last bit of travel. I believe production might have a softer elastomer, but in either case, I took mine out and I think I am going to cut it down shorter so the bottom out "ramp up" hits later.

I am running starting rebound pretty slow, ending stroke faster. Anywhere from 0-6 clicks of low speed compression depending on the trail and 2 or 3 clicks of high speed compression. I am around 200lbs and running the heavy spring with 1 or 2 preload spacers.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Sam

Thanks for the settings info.

Why are you running the rebound ending stroke fast and the beginning stroke slow? Seems backwards. Wouldn't you want more rebound damping on the big hits and less on the small hits?

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
My initial thoughts were the same... but the general tune of the fork is slower at the top and faster at the end. I was told that is the setup they found worked best with the Blackbox riders.

The slower starting rebound helps to keep the front end steady when pedaling and riding smooth rolling terrain and faster ending stroke helps recovery after big hits so you don't pack down in the travel. The example I mentioned from FR Cup #1 was a particularly fast rough section with a few big hits in, I felt like I was riding into the bars in that section, and in retrospect I think faster ending rebound would have kept me where I wanted to be in the travel - I am pretty sure I was getting stuck down in the travel there.

If you are riding something slower and steeper (the shore for example) you might want that slower so your front end doesn't kick back after infrequent big g-outs. However, at speed the fast recovery helps keep your bike steady. Think about it this way... you would neverrun out of travel on a bunch small stutter bumps, so why rush to get the fork back to the top? Whereas, a big nasty rock section that uses 80% of your travel on the first hit... you want to get back up to the top ASAP

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
Dude i felt like i was packing into the bars on that section (High speed, right before the little uphill near the bottom, right?) and my fork rebound is fairly quick. (granted its only a 2008 boxxer team). It would be cool to see, if they run that section again in may, if you try cranking up that ending stroke rebound to see if it actually makes a noticeable difference or if its just that section is too choppy for any fork to keep up

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2003
other

Edit: sorry I was short on the reply. I was trying to get out of work quick. Anyway, I buy my bike parts from a shop (B3 - Bikes, Blades and Boards) 3 hours away in Detroit. So not quite a local shop, but a good shop. All of the shops around here don't do DH stuff.
I ask because usually local shops get stuff from BTI or Quality. I wonder if they got it from one of those.