Quantcast

Whos Racing at Blue Knob?

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
MikeT said:
anyone know where i can find out the schedule? days and time for dh and ds?

thanx

-Mike T.
Anybody know? I've checked the sites for Racer's Edge, USA Cycling, iplayoutside, and active.com, to no avail.

I've got a broken thumb and am not allowed to fall off the bike (that rules out DH and dirt jumping for now), but perhaps I could just ride/walk down as carefully as possible just to earn some more points towards the Mid-Atlantic Cup. What do you all think? It's probably better than not showing up. I just have to be careful to stay out of the other riders' way.

banche

Monkey
Jul 21, 2003
BANNED FOR LIFE
just go to blueknob.com to get directions. for a schedule i sa just be there early sat. morning and reg. so i can win some gas money for the trip home(dink)!! see you there

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Here's how they did it last year:
Saturday
10AM-4PM DH Practice
10AM-2PM 4X Practice
2PM 4X Race

Sunday
9AM-11:45AM DH Practice
12PM DH Race

banche

Monkey
Jul 21, 2003
BANNED FOR LIFE
word! sounds good to me. we're all coming up friday night!! is there anywhere close by to camp? or can we just camp in the lot? i'd like to be somewhere close, because i'm bringing my 7yr. daughter,and she'll need something to do to entertain her!!!

mpd510

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Northern Va
you can get a room that sleeps 6 for 135. I'm not to sure about camping. There are also a few places within 10 miles of the resort for 80-100 a night.

hardtailer88

Chimp
Jul 11, 2004
Bethesda MD
hey, i was gonna go to the shed this weekend, but now im thinking about heading out there for my first dh race since everyone here seems to be going... I need like as much advice and help I can get. I ride hard and fast and I have the gear, but I dont know much about how the races exactly work. Please PM me with anything helpful!!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
hardtailer88 said:
hey, i was gonna go to the shed this weekend, but now im thinking about heading out there for my first dh race since everyone here seems to be going... I need like as much advice and help I can get. I ride hard and fast and I have the gear, but I dont know much about how the races exactly work. Please PM me with anything helpful!!

Massanutten was my first race, and this is how it went: Show up for practice, do practice runs all day, have a party and drink with other riders, get up, race, party some more, go to the awards, drink some more, party some more, drive home, get up the next day for work.

Wideman

Chimp
Aug 5, 2003
Naptowne
There is a state park with a few camping pads right near Blue Knob (Blue Knob St. Pk.). There is also a larger State Park south of Blue Knob that has something like 230 camping pads (Shawnee), some of which have juice, so you can bring your MotoGP style race RV!
There are other State Forests in the area that offer more 'rustic' accomodations.

Animal Mother

Monkey
Nov 26, 2003
Northern VA
hardtailer88 said:

Blue Knob last fall was my first DH race too. It's a very beginner friendly environment. I stumbled in, found the registration table and it was off to the
races. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. Just show up with a bike about $50 and you're all set for a couple days of great riding.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
hardtailer88 said:
so how could I meet up with you guys on saturday? It would be nice to meet some of you and get pointers from the pros!!
Do you have a cell phone? I'll PM you my number. If not, look for three guys wearing red Fox jerseys with Richmond Ruckus on them. I'm the one on the grey Norco.

hardtailer88

Chimp
Jul 11, 2004
Bethesda MD
Thanks. Ill pm you mine. I ride a grey snipes hardtail, which will probably be easy to spot there,cuz ill probably have the only one, and I have a blue 661 fullface helmet.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
mpd510 said:
big mike..when are you going up?

we will be there sat. am sometime. shooting for 9-10 am.

I'm heading up tonight. Leaving pretty soon here to beat Baltimore traffic.

If anyone needs a place to stay, we have two hotel rooms, and only 3 people, so if you want to sleep on my floor and pitch in a few bucks, let me know.

If anyone wants to try and catch up with me tonight/tomorrow, my cell phone is 703-447-4288. gimme a ring.

Animal Mother

Monkey
Nov 26, 2003
Northern VA
hardtailer88 said:
Thanks. Ill pm you mine. I ride a grey snipes hardtail, which will probably be easy to spot there,cuz ill probably have the only one, and I have a blue 661 fullface helmet.

i'll keep an eye out for ya. i'm on a yellow flamed RM-9 or the camo green RM Flow HT. be wearing a green neon flamed dirt bike helemet for DH.

good luck on your first race!
b

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Good luck y'all. Wish I could go but have to work at a bike shop. How lame is that? Work at a bike shop so you can get parts and be near bikes, then you can't ride because you work with bikes. One of life's great ironies, dang.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Stiff said:
Good luck y'all. Wish I could go but have to work at a bike shop. How lame is that? Work at a bike shop so you can get parts and be near bikes, then you can't ride because you work with bikes. One of life's great ironies, dang.
Threadjack:
Those ironies are everywhere, huh? That's why I didn't teach English for long. I enjoyed reading and writing too much to give them up entirely!

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
BigMike said:
So where were you Jen?
I hit the gym and stuff this weekend (like always.) I figured that's a better use of my time than driving to a race I can't race....

How did everybody do? Was it fun? Was there much carnage? How was the food?