Quantcast

Why Aren't There Better Shock Pumps?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Our shop throws away at least 3 pumps a year* because the chucks go bad. Either the threads strip or the seal and pointy thing become out of tolerance so they lose air during disconnection. I personally kill one every 2 years**. Most of the hoses are interchangable so the cheapest solution is usually to buy a $25 analog pump, then transfer its hose to your $80 digital pump. I've thrown away MANY perfectly good analog shock pumps after taking their hoses, as well as some digital pumps when I couldn't find a hose that fit. Why aren't replacement hoses available for like $5? Why isn't a company like Lezyne or Silca making a quality, rebuildable shock pump?

*We've got a big rental fleet, each bike needing fork & shock set for each renter. We also do a LOT of suspension set up for clients.
**I own a large fleet so a bike can sit for a while between uses and in CO we have huge temperature swings so I use a shock pump before most rides.
***This is perfect for the TIWWWTI thread, but it's less of a gripe and more of a call to action, so I gave it a thread. I have to wonder if a quality $100-120 shock pump with $5-10 replacement hoses isn't being made because it hasn't been asked for loudly enough.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yep, they are trash. Flexible hoses that easily break over time. Stupid high pressure required and no way to not put excessive forces on the hose/fitting/shaft, etc. I 100% agree.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Didn't Cane Creek offer replacement hoses for their digital pump at 15 bucks or so?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Except there's already valve in shocks and tire valves that prevents reverse flow?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Except there's already valve in shocks and tire valves that prevents reverse flow?
Most shock pumps have a way to keep air from escaping as the valve is closed, schrader valves leak a decent amount of you close them slowly.

EDIT- And it's rebuildable.

DOUBLE EDIT- Had a go at this Alibaba thing, I love it!
1700956744477.png

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Most shock pumps have a way to keep air from escaping as the valve is closed.
The seal in the pump chuck makes contact with the valve, so seals up, well before the pin begins pressing the valve core open, and the opposite during removal.
When this seal wears thinner the pin is still slightly holding the valve open as the seal begins losing grip against the valve so you lose pressure to atmosphere.

But I usually see the threads on a chuck go bad before the seal.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Our shop throws away at least 3 pumps a year* because the chucks go bad. Either the threads strip or the seal and pointy thing become out of tolerance so they lose air during disconnection. I personally kill one every 2 years**. Most of the hoses are interchangable so the cheapest solution is usually to buy a $25 analog pump, then transfer its hose to your $80 digital pump. I've thrown away MANY perfectly good analog shock pumps after taking their hoses, as well as some digital pumps when I couldn't find a hose that fit. Why aren't replacement hoses available for like $5? Why isn't a company like Lezyne or Silca making a quality, rebuildable shock pump?

*We've got a big rental fleet, each bike needing fork & shock set for each renter. We also do a LOT of suspension set up for clients.
**I own a large fleet so a bike can sit for a while between uses and in CO we have huge temperature swings so I use a shock pump before most rides.
***This is perfect for the TIWWWTI thread, but it's less of a gripe and more of a call to action, so I gave it a thread. I have to wonder if a quality $100-120 shock pump with $5-10 replacement hoses isn't being made because it hasn't been asked for loudly enough.
we sell our own labelled version of the digital pump everyone else slabs their logo on. at cost, they are not much more expensive than the analog one everyone slabs their logo on. probably all from the same factory

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
we sell our own labelled version of the digital pump everyone else slabs their logo on. at cost, they are not much more expensive than the analog one everyone slabs their logo on. probably all from the same factory
Since you have an inside line to that pump maker, ask if they'll sell you a box of hoses. You could probably get away with selling them for as much as $20.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
The seal in the pump chuck makes contact with the valve, so seals up, well before the pin begins pressing the valve core open, and the opposite during removal.
When this seal wears thinner the pin is still slightly holding the valve open as the seal begins losing grip against the valve so you lose pressure to atmosphere.

But I usually see the threads on a chuck go bad before the seal.
It does not help that shock pressures are pretty high these days. 200+ psi puts a lot of pressure on the chuck threads when you try to take it off. They make the chuck threads out of a softer material so the threads on the actual shock don't wear as much as the pump does. I work in a suspension shop and we go through pumps quite often as well. 95% of the time it's the chuck or hose that goes out and gets swapped for a new one.

I've got an old Specialized pump that has a two piece chuck; you thread it on the shock, then screw the second port down and it contacts the valve core pin and opens the flow. Reverse to remove it; unscrew the 2nd part to release the pin, then you can release the pressure from inside the pump with the bleed button, and unscrew it from the threads without any effort or damage. I've never seen another pump with this chuck, it's way better than the ones with the lever to actuate the pin. This one is approaching 15 years old and zero issues, it just sucks that the hose connection is different and I can't put it on the digital body.

1126230943a.jpg

There is basically one company in Asia that supplies all the digital shock pumps people put their logo on. I have thought about contacting them to make a chuck like this, with a braided steel hose and a long barrel. It would be the ultimate pump and last a long time.

Or maybe Abbey Tool will do it and charger $300.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I have a 2011 Scott 400psi pump with a chuck like that. Both that hose and the lever style 2-stage hose on my Bontrager pump don't fit on any of my digis. It hadn't occured to me that the pressure pushing against the threads as they're loosening is what's mushing them.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
should be the company that makes ours (and many other branded ones):

https://www.giyo.com.tw/web/03product/03shock/GS-01.php (imho the one formula sells)
https://www.giyo.com.tw/web/03product/03shock/GS-02D.php (hello rock shox)
https://www.giyo.com.tw/web/03product/03shock/GS-05.php (fox shox one)

we slap our logo on all 3
Maybe they won't sell replacement hoses to you or Fox for resale. Maybe Cane Creek had the same idea and went as far as putting it on the website but could never get the hoses. If the cheap Asian Manufacturer is both making a product that doesn't last and refusing to supply replacement parts, then the only solution is for a company like Lezyne or Silca to try selling a higher end item. Hard to say if the market is there for a $100+ pump until one exists, but there are other expensive tools and our shop has sold a lot of $200 Fumpa pumps.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
$200 Fumpa pumps.
had to look that one up

how far are we from a AAA style roadside assistance program for people who can ride a bike but can't use a handpump?

I've had some decent shock pumps come with snowmobile and dirtbike stuff but it's not really any better than a store bought thing rebranded for bikes. They're all coming from the same place.

Is that gucci leyzne shit any better or just anodized?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
My dtswiss has been accurate and reliable. Well, if not accurate at least consistent.

I wish it had an accurate (or consistent) digital gauge though.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
how far are we from a AAA style roadside assistance program for people who can ride a bike but can't use a handpump?
Someone post the photo for woo with the emoped on the back of a flatbed recovery truck.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
had to look that one up

I've had some decent shock pumps come with snowmobile and dirtbike stuff but it's not really any better than a store bought thing rebranded for bikes. They're all coming from the same place.

It ain't much, but I have an old micro floor drive pump that is still going strong. Best trail side pump i've ever had.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
had to look that one up

I've only sold one of the little $100ish Fumpas that replaces a hand pump or CO2. It was to a guy who's too much of an environmentalist to use CO2, but too serious a racer to mess with a hand pump, Josh Tostado. He seems to win every ultra endurance MTB race he enters and picks up some mid-race flats along the way.
The full size Fumpa with the digi guage and hose is more toolbox size but is an awesome replacement for a floor pump and hand held digi guage. Easier to bring in the car or on trips and quicker to use. I've made all my friends who can afford it buy one and they've all thanked me.

Lezyne didn't make a digi pump last time I looked so your question had me look again. That thing looks promising. I'm curious to hear from anyone who's seen it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
guy who's too much of an environmentalist to use CO2
wait til he finds out about the microplastics his tires shed as they wear :rofl:

Those pumps run on good intentions and not batteries, right?

I've never used co2 cartridges in my life. I don't care how many dentist races someone wins, handpumps are a hell of a lot less likely to fail out in the middle of nowhere. Like you, I'm just wondering if there are durable ones even in existence.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm too scared to look

"Have you ever watched the Tour de France and wondered if you could get that same wheel swap for a flat tire? Now you can!"
I just looked and AAA and CAA both offer a bike assist thing as part of membership.

Which is actually kind of cool, as I can basically use them as an uber if I ever royally screw up on my stupid bike for the road.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
One of the local trail systems has signs with location codes for rescue, I don't think they offer Trailside assistance yet.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just looked and AAA and CAA both offer a bike assist thing as part of membership.

Which is actually kind of cool, as I can basically use them as an uber if I ever royally screw up on my stupid bike for the road.
"yeah I need a tire service. What's that? Yeah I'm on the continental divide. Not sure exactly. Bunch of rock and whistle pigs. There's a mountain in the background. I have a hand pump but that's hard work. How long til you get here?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Doesn't the new EXT fork/shock have some chamber that goes up to 600psi and requires a special shock pump? Wonder if their pump is more durable/better quality the common generic ones? Possibly doesn't have the gauge accuracy needed at lower ranges though

*edit* nevermind it looks pretty generic. Maybe better hose?

1701032768466.png

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, on a ride a few weeks ago,I mused about starting a drone-based E-Bike battery drop service. Here is a new market, "never carry tools, water, clothes, etc, ever again! Just choose from any item on the REI website, and we will have it delivered to you within an hour!"
(Requires satellite service plan, starting at $99 a month).

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Pumping up a rear shock has to be one of the worst things in the mtb world. I hate it. In fact, I'll not work on my shock, just so I don't have to pump it up. Really, it's that bad. Definitely interested in investing on a proper solution.

Like what do the Fox bros use at the world cups? Are they actually hand pumping every suspension component they work on? IDK

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Pumping up a rear shock has to be one of the worst things in the mtb world. I hate it. In fact, I'll not work on my shock, just so I don't have to pump it up. Really, it's that bad. Definitely interested in investing on a proper solution.

Like what do the Fox bros use at the world cups? Are they actually hand pumping every suspension component they work on? IDK
I put a different long skinny chuck on a rode bike tire pump. Gets things started at least.

Those floor shock pumps are awesome. I never bought one because they're expensive but they work really well.

My next shock pump is going to be a high pressure nitrogen tank.