Quantcast

Why Aren't There Better Shock Pumps?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I use the compressor to put 100psi in, then cycle past 30%. Then start pumping and every 50psi I pause and push it past 30%. Get to target pressure, remove pump, and cycle past 30%. Re-attach pump, hit target pressure + 2psi, remove pump, cycle past 30%. Should now be done.
You know you can cycle the fork or shock to equalize just fine with the compressor or pump attached, right?

As for owning an air compressor if you own a modern mtb....yeah. Unless you really enjoy being covered in bike industry lizard jizz while you do the crossfit dance of a floor pump for your entire cycling career, you should probably own some legitimate shop tools.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
You know you can cycle the fork or shock to equalize just fine with the compressor or pump attached, right?
Yeah, that's what I do in my second sentence above. When you get to the target pressure and are trying to be precise the extra volume of the pump hose will affect things though. I do the third and fourth sentences to get the precise target pressure in both chambers.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah, that's what I do in my second sentence above. When you get to the target pressure and are trying to be precise the extra volume of the pump hose will affect things though. I do the third and fourth sentences to get the precise target pressure in both chambers.
Pressure is pressure and volume is volume. If one isn't changing, neither is the other. No need to remove the pump during any of that, even up to the precise setting. Equalization, if you have a careful hand, is static in volume.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ahahah, a slight push might be ok, but I had a mate leave my shock pump attached and bounced hard on the seat of his Reign to equalise the chambers.

KA-BOOM!!

Got a new shock pump out of it though.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
In the Intend post on PB, there is an image of a different looking shock pump - though round end looks like others out there. They don't seem to sell these - I wonder if its any different than the rest?

I sent them a message asking...

It might be the same as this Blackburn one:
1701871212407.png

Or whatever this Venzo thing is:
1701871232185.png

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
For trailside flat repair without batteries I switched to a Stompump when I had successive hand surgeries that made the mini-hand pump a no-go for awhile. It works well, is pretty easy to find a frame mounting spot for and is a lot less effort to inflate a tire.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
In the Intend post on PB, there is an image of a different looking shock pump - though round end looks like others out there. They don't seem to sell these - I wonder if its any different than the rest?

View attachment 204673

View attachment 204674
those displays scream giyo

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

View attachment 204673

View attachment 204674
Maybe it's an inverted shock pump?