Quantcast

Why do i get spyware from Ridemonkey.com

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
what u getting? reset your browser settings, or use mozilla firefoc browser. Internet explorer is bad.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Skookum said:
No sir i don't like it......
Yeah, I get the occasional spyware install from Ridemonkey too.. I know it's from Ridemonkey, because it's the only website I visit at work. I've got Ad Aware, and use it regularly.

Can't use FireFox at work.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
On that line, I was running Firefox for a while. I tried to install a "theme" and all of a sudden, Firefox wouldn't load anymore. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling. No luck. Anyone else had this problem?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Echo said:
A little more info as far as what spyware, etc would probably be useful in correcting the situation.
Next time I see it happening (I get a popup window that opens for about a quarter second then disappears), I'll run Ad Aware and get you the name of it.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
binary visions said:
Next time I see it happening (I get a popup window that opens for about a quarter second then disappears), I'll run Ad Aware and get you the name of it.
This is the one I get: http://esampler.tns-global.com/eSampler/writetest.html?BBCNews,BBCNews

It triggers the pop up blocker.

and if you try to go to the page it says:

This window has appeared to send a cookie, called 'eSampler' from TNS Interactive, to record that you have seen certain online content, such as an online ad. The data in this cookie will not be read unless you later agree to a clear online request from TNS. TNS operates a strict online privacy policy and no data is being collected from your computer.
Our apologies for any inconvenience this window has caused.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Wumpus said:
This is the one I get: http://esampler.tns-global.com/eSampler/writetest.html?BBCNews,BBCNews

It triggers the pop up blocker.

and if you try to go to the page it says:
We have had a thread about this before. The BBC ads open a little window for a half a second which runs a script that helps them keep some stats on how their ads are doing. It's not spyware. I don't really like it, but it's really no big deal and its harmless. And its the BBC for cripes sake :blah:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
binary visions said:
Yeah, I get the occasional spyware install from Ridemonkey too.. I know it's from Ridemonkey, because it's the only website I visit at work. I've got Ad Aware, and use it regularly.

Can't use FireFox at work.
i assume it's from the ads and i recieve around 3 on average. i use ad aware too and i couldn't be lazy and copy the info from the report on them, which i was going to do last night. i got errands i gotta run but i will post what i get then do what i can do on my end to eliminate them from my browser, probably just switch to Firefox, my pal keeps on telling me i'm dumb to run explorer anyways and he would know, it's just the principle of the whole deal that's a real bogue. i mean i just want to be lazy and not have to **** with anything y'know? :p

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
dhtahoe said:
Can I use firefox with SBC Yahoo DSL. IE6 is intergrated into the DSL program.
You don't need to install their program to connect to the internet.

I tried to install it the other day to see if it would help any and it wouldn't connect up, but it did hijack ie6. Good thing I don't use ie6 for anything except the moto trails game. I use mozilla, opera, and myie2.

J

JRB

dhtahoe said:
Can I use firefox with SBC Yahoo DSL. IE6 is intergrated into the DSL program.

Yes, you can just select to install the connect program.

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
So beside giving you something to click to connect does it do anything else worthwhile?

Nope, but I can't connect any of the sales guys' laptops at home without it.