Quantcast

why do I need to bleed my hayes every freaking week?

snipes287

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
well...ever since I got the bike I have been needing to bleed the brakes every week. I don't see any oil coming out of anywhere but there is deff air getting in them...any suggestions of how this is happeening?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by kidwoo
1 Better bleed technique?

2 Also: If there's a tiny pin hole, you won't necessarily need to have fluid come out for air to get in. Try new lines. If it's both brakes though refer to solution 1.
#2= BINGO!? Hayes lines have three parts- an inner tube that actually holds the fluid, a layer of insulation, and the outer casing. Look for crimps in the casing. It is possible to crease the inner tubing to the point of having a pin hole, but not see fluid. It is possible for just a little fluid to leak out and get soaked up by the insulation. It onlt takes a little air getting in to fowl the system.

Or it could be technique.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
how much are replacement hoses and how hard are they to install? it seems to me that hayes has issues with consistancy in production of their brakes. i just wish i could find another set of magura gustahv dh brakes ran those forever never even had to bleed them.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by biggins
how much are replacement hoses and how hard are they to install? it seems to me that hayes has issues with consistancy in production of their brakes. i just wish i could find another set of magura gustahv dh brakes ran those forever never even had to bleed them.
Hayes had 1 bad year. I think it was the first year they were mass-OEM. Like 2001? Maybe even 2000. Hydraulic lines are rated in burst strength. The problem was that the lines had goo burst strength, but were flexy as anything and kinked easily. They have had no issues for at least the last 2 or 3 model years.
They are easy to install and fairly cheap. Just remember to grease the threads. Sweaty hands and soft aluminum threads don't mix. When tightening the jam-nut, don't bottom it. Tighten it only until you can see the olive start to come out from underneath. You'll see what I mean when you do it. Doing this makes it possible to switch a lever or calip without having to install new fittings b/c you will have some olive material left to crush.

snipes287

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
im not sure what year they are cause I got um used but ill take them apart again and look threw everything one last time.

anyone know a cheep altrunative to hayes hose? its like 25 bucks for 60 inches....thats WAY to expensive if you ask me if I am understanding what is included...

will I be able to redo both my front and back liens with one $25 kit? what exactly comes in the kits?