Quantcast

Why Won't Bush See Her?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
What about the 45,000 deaths a year the US due to traffic accidents...?
If they let fertilized eggs drive, the president would tackle this issue with great enthusiasm.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
N8 said:
How was your vacation on planet Whatthef8ckdoesthathavetodowiththis?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I accept the point that Bush (Commander and Chief) sent the US armed forces into Iraq. Yes he did....guilty.

But "personal" blame on Bush for her sons death is nothing but political BS. It is personal for her but political for everyone else.....on both sides.

If the responsibility for her son death is on everyone above him in his command structure there are tons of people she should be camping out to see. I mean they all shared a part. :rolleyes:

I never said to "suck it up". She is greiving and wrongfully blaming the president directly for her sons death. I think she should forgive herself first....as I think much of her anger is missdirected.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Changleen said:
Several layers of lies, indeed.

I agree that this woman is being dumb with her little campaign, but it's her right to do it if she wants.

*preaching*It is indisputably George Bush's responsibility that her son is dead at the end of the day, though. This war was unneccassary, based on a personal agenda, and persued with insufficient planning and negligence. If it was not for GW there would have been no war.*/preaching*
Does she deserve to see Bush personally? Would she be appeased if she did?

Great thing about freedom is we can say that what she is doing is dumb, it is our right to do if we want.....right?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
RhinofromWA said:
Does she deserve to see Bush personally? Would she be appeased if she did?
Uh, don't know, and probably not.
Great thing about freedom is we can say that what she is doing is dumb, it is our right to do if we want.....right?
Right.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
ok, so an official statement on where i stand:

yes, i believe that bush lied to us about the reasons for the war. but i don't necessarily think that invading was wrong in intself. Even though the whole WMD thing was unfounded, the principal of ousting a "evil dictator" (spoken w/ dr. evil voice) was, in itself, in good nature. now, the problem w/ piss poor planning on our governments part about maintaining the area is another issue.

but that still doesn't change that fact that her son chose to join a fighting force and agreed to fight "all enemies foreign and domestic", regardless of how our government classified them as "enemies".

so you happy now changleen? i'm officially off the fence :D

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
manimal said:
ok, so an official statement on where i stand:

yes, i believe that bush lied to us about the reasons for the war. but i don't necessarily think that invading was wrong in intself. Even though the whole WMD thing was unfounded, the principal of ousting a "evil dictator" (spoken w/ dr. evil voice) was, in itself, in good nature. now, the problem w/ piss poor planning on our governments part about maintaining the area is another issue.

but that still doesn't change that fact that her son chose to join a fighting force and agreed to fight "all enemies foreign and domestic", regardless of how our government classified them as "enemies".

so you happy now changleen? i'm officially off the fence :D
Yes. Much better, thank you. Although as evil dictators go he wasn't anything special, and the damge we've done to hundreds of thousands of innocent people's lives somewhat outweighs the good, IMHO.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Chang makes a good point, Given the civilian casualty figures of the last couple of years, you could make a convincing argument they were better off under him.

As long as we look at repressive countries, how about North Korea, Starving and killing it's citizens, or China. Or a little country I know of with the largest percentage of it's population in jail of any developed country, almost a 1.5 million people.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
manimal said:
....oh wait, he VOLUNTEERED.
Volunteered in good faith that his life would only be endangered for the protection of our nation.

What's in question here is not whether he was tricked into fighting (he wasn't), it's that it was unecessary to deploy our army over there.

If the soldiers were ordered to strap themselves to the front of the tanks to protect the armor (thank you, South Park), does that make it make the order okay because the soldiers are volunteers who should know there was the potential of death when they signed up?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
ohio said:
Volunteered in good faith that his life would only be endangered for the protection of our nation.
He volunteered in good faith as enlisted man to do the following....

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed overme
It has to be pretty obvious that being put into harms way is probably not going to be defending the beaches of America. Of course he may not have thought it thru that a President might send him off on some boondoggle that stretches the imagination of what is right or wrong. But he doesn't get to determine that after the fact. Only prior to the commitment does he get that power.

ohio said:
If the soldiers were ordered to strap themselves to the front of the tanks to protect the armor (thank you, South Park), does that make it make the order okay because the soldiers are volunteers who should know there was the potential of death when they signed up?
While your example is dumb, the short answer is yes. If that's what has to be done then that's what has to be done to accomplish the mission. Thru out military history there have been circumstances where extraordinary causalities inflicted upon US forces were necessary to accomplish the mission. In WWII the landings at Tarawa and Iwo Jima were bloodbaths with the first waves basically being cannon fodder. Or the Ranger assualt on Pointe du Hoc during D-Day with a casualty rate of over 60%. US commanders in each of these knew that the outcome was going to be bad.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
DRB said:
He volunteered in good faith as enlisted man to do the following....
Which is what he did. He followed his orders and served as he promised. I don't think anyone is questioning that. He was a dutiful soldier and, though I may be wrong, I don't really think this has anything to do with him... nor do I think this has anything to do with the general principle that wars result in casualties.

What is in question (again, for me) is whether this was a proper use of that trust and commitment that soldiers give to their commander in chief. If a sargeant sends his men unnecessarily into danger that accomplishes no strategic end (my understanding is that Iwo Jima had a clear strategic goal), doesn't he have to answer for that, whether the casualities were 60% or 1%? Why does that responsibility not roll all the way up, if the order is one that cascading all the way down.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
ohio said:
What is in question (again, for me) is whether this was a proper use of that trust and commitment that soldiers give to their commander in chief. If a sargeant sends his men unnecessarily into danger that accomplishes no strategic end (my understanding is that Iwo Jima had a clear strategic goal), doesn't he have to answer for that, whether the casualities were 60% or 1%? Why does that responsibility not roll all the way up, if the order is one that cascading all the way down.
Officers get nailed for bad tactical decisions all the time. And it does roll up the chain of command all the way to the top of the military. Generals have gotten tossed out of commands for screws up forever. Shoot a 4-Star general in charge of training just got relieved for something.

However, the disconnect on what you are saying happens to the move from military to civilian leadership. The responsibility of holding the civillian leadership responsible is that of the American voting public.

So to answer your question, yes it should roll all the way up.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
DRB said:
While your example is dumb, the short answer is yes. If that's what has to be done then that's what has to be done to accomplish the mission. Thru out military history there have been circumstances where extraordinary causalities inflicted upon US forces were necessary to accomplish the mission. In WWII the landings at Tarawa and Iwo Jima were bloodbaths with the first waves basically being cannon fodder. Or the Ranger assualt on Pointe du Hoc during D-Day with a casualty rate of over 60%. US commanders in each of these knew that the outcome was going to be bad.
Please don't tell me you're equating anything that's happening now with what happened in WW2. That is undeniably and incrediably bogus. In WW2 the marines indeed the whole of the armed forces had a purity of purpose that it is demonstrably not applicable to this situation.

Part of our democracy relies on the poor saps at the sharp end being able to go to their end knowing that their sacrifice was for a good cause. That's why they fight until the end. This war cannot possibly give them that. How many disillusioned soldiers does it take?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DRB said:
Officers get nailed for bad tactical decisions all the time. And it does roll up the chain of command all the way to the top of the military. Generals have gotten tossed out of commands for screws up forever. Shoot a 4-Star general in charge of training just got relieved for something.

However, the disconnect on what you are saying happens to the move from military to civilian leadership. The responsibility of holding the civillian leadership responsible is that of the American voting public.

So to answer your question, yes it should roll all the way up.
The General got canned for unspecified personal misconduct, probably got caught jerking off in the soup at the cafeteria.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Westy said:
The General got canned for unspecified personal misconduct, probably got caught jerking off in the soup at the cafeteria.
WASHINGTON, Aug. 10 - A four-star general who was relieved of command this week said Wednesday through his lawyer that the Army took the action after an investigation into accusations that he was involved in a consensual relationship with a female civilian.
I guess her name was Soup.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
valve bouncer said:
Please don't tell me you're equating anything that's happening now with what happened in WW2. That is undeniably and incrediably bogus. In WW2 the marines indeed the whole of the armed forces had a purity of purpose that it is demonstrably not applicable to this situation.
I never made any correlation between WWII and Iraq. The question from OHIO was

ohio said:
And I answered

DRB said:
While your example is dumb, the short answer is yes. If that's what has to be done then that's what has to be done to accomplish the mission.
From there I used examples that happened to be in a book I've been reading on the fine line between tactical genius and stupidity and how normally outcome affects that destinction. There are a ton of others that I could have used from Sparta to a month ago but those seemed to be ones most would recognize.

If that was not the question he wanted answered (which apparently it wasn't) then he should have asked a different question (which he did).

valve bouncer said:
Part of our democracy relies on the poor saps at the sharp end being able to go to their end knowing that their sacrifice was for a good cause. That's why they fight until the end. This war cannot possibly give them that. How many disillusioned soldiers does it take?
How many does it take? There as been an election and the guy in charge stayed in charge, so apparently not enough. Ultimately its the American public's responsibility, not the military, to determine what the good cause is. If they think that it isn't then they vote the guy setting the agenda out of office. They didn't do that. Why? I have no idea.

As a young lieutenant, there was one thing I NEVER had to worry about. That was a political decision made by the President. I didn't worry about it because I had no control over it. I made the oath, similar to the one, I quoted for enlisted men. At that point I quit getting to make a decision about a "purity of purpose" when it comes to carrying out the orders given to me. I go where they tell me when they tell me. (please don't waste my time with illegal orders its a given) When it comes time to re-enlist or to make a decision about resignation THEN I get to make a decision about my sacrifice being worth it. Otherwise, as a soldier,.........

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
DRB said:
How many does it take? There as been an election and the guy in charge stayed in charge, so apparently not enough. Ultimately its the American public's responsibility, not the military, to determine what the good cause is. If they think that it isn't then they vote the guy setting the agenda out of office. They didn't do that. Why? I have no idea.

As a young lieutenant, there was one thing I NEVER had to worry about. That was a political decision made by the President. I didn't worry about it because I had no control over it. I made the oath, similar to the one, I quoted for enlisted men. At that point I quit getting to make a decision about a "purity of purpose" when it comes to carrying out the orders given to me. I go where they tell me when they tell me. (please don't waste my time with illegal orders its a given) When it comes time to re-enlist or to make a decision about resignation THEN I get to make a decision about my sacrifice being worth it. Otherwise, as a soldier,.........
As a veteran, I'll chime in.

DRB has it pretty much hit it on the head. The American public elects politicians, politicians (Ultimately the President) are in charge of the military. They choose where and when to fight.

Anyone who enlists or accepts a commission, knows they might have to fight. Maybe they went in for technical training, maybe for a job, or maybe they love the military..it doesn't really matter. You follow orders.

The real angst around military deaths in Iraq revolves around a civilian policy issue, Declaring war on Iraq. People feel thay were lied to. People feel Intelligence reports were "sexed up" and blown out of proportion, personal vendettas were carried out against opponents of the war. In there was no WMD, No 9/11 connection, no terrorist training camps. It appears, in my opinion, we were led into this war under false pretenses. If my daughter were killed in a situation like this, I'd want to talk to the President to show him what his lies cost.

Would he see me? Probably not, he isn't required to, there is no way to garner a political gain from it. If he did, inspite of this, it would tell me a great deal about his character.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Changleen said:
By invading we managed to kill even more of his people and our own! Genius!
We haven't come too close to hitting that number...yet. I'd love to see an update on that Lancet study though, to see how the pace is going.

If you're looking at rates, we're on pace to show up our former ally in the region by quite a bit, but I don't expect that to keep up. Hopefully.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Reactor said:
In there was no WMD, No 9/11 connection, no terrorist training camps.
Well, there are. They just happen to be in Pakistan. That's what happens when you cut funding for geography classes in American schools, we invade the wrong country...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
N8 said:
Is that a line from Goldfinger:

James Bond: You'll kill 60,000 people uselessly.
Auric Goldfinger: Hah. American motorists kill that many every two years.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Silver said:
We haven't come too close to hitting that number...yet. I'd love to see an update on that Lancet study though, to see how the pace is going.

If you're looking at rates, we're on pace to show up our former ally in the region by quite a bit, but I don't expect that to keep up. Hopefully.
Human Rights Watch: "Twenty-five years of Ba`th Party rule ... murdered or 'disappeared' some quarter of a million Iraqis"

Getting there!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/08/15/bush.neighbor/index.html

CRAWFORD, Texas (CNN) -- Anti-war protesters outside President Bush's ranch here were startled Sunday by gunshots fired by a Texas rancher frustrated by the group's presence.

"Well, I'm getting ready for dove season," Larry Mattlage, 62, told reporters of the shots fired around 10 a.m. (noon EDT). Asked if there was an underlying message to the shots, which he fired harmlessly into the air, Mattlage told a reporter, "Figure it out for yourself."
"Would you want someone invading your house for a long time and blocking your view and blocking your road?" asked Mattlage, a six-year resident of Crawford who said he had originally been sympathetic to the protesters' cause.

"They as American citizens have a right to march, to protest."
"I just want them to pack the damn tents and go where they came from," Mattlage said. "They made their point and everybody understands it."
Sheehan said protesters have been "good neighbors" to the people living near Bush's ranch.

"If the neighbor is tired of having us here, he should talk to his other neighbor, George Bush, and ask George Bush to come out and meet with me, and then we'll leave," she said.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I was originally for the war in Iraq, but not it just seems we're just spinning our wheels. It's time to get out, the only thing I see happening is losing more men/women everyday. Time to get out and to continue to aid Iraq, I say give them 24/7 access to a 1-800 help line.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Silver said:
Why the hell do right wing pundits insist on calling everyone who isn't a fascist "treasonous". Malkin and O'Reilly keep saying that you have to respect the pain she is feeling and that it would be wrong to demonize her, but then they go ahead to do just that.

Nice to hear a sexually harrasing asshole who cheats on his wife throwing that around...

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/The-OReilly-Malkin-Sheehan.wmv
I just don't understand why they would resort to "treason". Its desent. Nothing wrong with that. She hasn't threatened the president nor sold secrets to the "enemy."

Let's just make sure that everyone does remember that she did get to meet him already and didn't take the opportunity. Its too bad she didn't take that opportunity to make her point to the president. To expect a second is unrealistic.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Brian HCM#1 said:
I was originally for the war in Iraq, but not it just seems we're just spinning our wheels. It's time to get out, the only thing I see happening is losing more men/women everyday. Time to get out and to continue to aid Iraq, I say give them 24/7 access to a 1-800 help line.
I was originally against the war, I still think it was the dumbest idea around and the leadership should be help responsible for lying to the public but pulling out now would create a vacuum just like what happened in Afghanistan. Iraq would collapse in on itself and would probably result in a full on civil war more than likely resulting in a Talibanesque government, Except in the north where the Kurds would kick ass. Of course Turkey would get all hot if the Kurds ended up with an independant nation. In a very selfish way this could be better for the US, it seems that one thing terrorists like more than killing Americans is killing people from the middle east, I guess it is always tougher playing on the road.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Westy said:
I was originally against the war, I still think it was the dumbest idea around and the leadership should be help responsible for lying to the public but pulling out now would create a vacuum just like what happened in Afghanistan. Iraq would collapse in on itself and would probably result in a full on civil war more than likely resulting in a Talibanesque government, Except in the north where the Kurds would kick ass. Of course Turkey would get all hot if the Kurds ended up with an independant nation. In a very selfish way this could be better for the US, it seems that one thing terrorists like more than killing Americans is killing people from the middle east, I guess it is always tougher playing on the road.
Yup, we sh!t our bed; now we have to lie in it.