Quantcast

Wide Rims with XT V Brakes

yetiquatch

Chimp
Dec 8, 2003
I recently got a set of Ryno-Lite XLs for my '98 Santa Cruz Heckler. Now I'm trying to adjust the XT V-Brakes on the back to accomodate the width of the rims, and I'm finding that the brakes don't really adjust out that far.

When I open them up that far, I lose all spring force to pull them away from the rim. "Aha," I said, and moved the pin that engages in the brake boss from the middle to the outer position. But, then I found that the linkage on the brakes (that keeps the pad parallel to the rim) can't adjust to accomodate the change. If I keep the pin in the outer position, then the brake surface is so far out of alignment with the rim that I can't adjust it back using the spherical washers holding the brake pad. It seems the mechanism that controls the pad linkage can only be set in quarter turns, and it just can't be set right for the "outer" pin position.

Has anyone run into this, and do you know how to work around it? (I can't use disk brakes, since the bike doesn't have braze-ons)

yetiquatch

Chimp
Dec 8, 2003
Outstanding!

I had a passing thought that that might be a spacer, but then I assumed it was part of the post. I'll try it tonight.

Thanks a million!