Quantcast

wifes new bike

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Wife's bike is done with upgrades**. I cancelled my M6 order and kept my Socom. For those that dont remember, I was going to give my Socom to the wife and get an M6 for myself. My hours were cut at work, so I cancelled the M6 and bought my wife an 08 SX Trail 1. I got a screaming deal on the SXT. I only paid $1892 and MSRP was $3700. With all the upgrades I only have $2200 into it. The M6 was going to be $7200... I saved $5000!! Blame it on the economy and my conscience. :)

frame: 08 sx trail 1 S
shock: dhx 4.0 with 300lb spring
fork: 08 66 rc2x**
stem: Thompson 50mmx0**
bars: ProTaper 2" rise**
grips: Ruffian with red locks**
headset: Stock Cane Creek
brakes: Juicy 3
rotors: Avid
hubs: Specialized
tubes:standard Speicalized thin**
rims: DT Swiss 540
tires: Specialized Chuder SX
cranks: Hussefelt
pedals: Welgo MG**
cassette: XT**
seatpost: thomson elite**
seatpost clamp: red Hope**
saddle: WTB SHE-ti**
shifters:X-7
front derailer-LX
rear derailer-X-9
rear fender**

Last edited:

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Wow. That's a used price for a new bike. Amazing deal.

The build looks great too, AND you managed to get one of the last batch of good looking SXT's.

Last edited:

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
She is better. Im lucky. She is hot and likes to ride mountain bikes. Id post a pic, but she would kill me.
hey kanter, same like me wife, she hats to go with her picture online..
very fast deal.. and the socom rocks to!! nice sx trail!!

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Quick note on the rear Specialized hub. They loosen up quite often so keep a watchfull eye on it.
Thanks
The front wheel hasnt even been ridden at its a little loose already!!
Once I get ahead on some bills, I plan on a set of I9 Enduro wheels to lighten it up for her. Id also like to throw some Gravity Lites or Stylo cranks on it.

Anyone have a 250 or 300x2.75 ti spring for the DHX?

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
No, she will ride it. Ill only ride her bike if I have too. Ill ride the Socom.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
hmm, anyone else?

Will the DT Swiss 4.2s hold up to a 130 lb girl AM/DH rider?

She wants red rims, but I cant find any in the 400-450g range.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA

No. Another pair with E540's is the min you would be able to run. E540 rims would be fine and less $ up front. You can always upgrade to 5.1's down the road. I still say keep the front wheel and build up just a lighter rear wheel with a better hub.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana

No. Another pair with E540's is the min you would be able to run. E540 rims would be fine and less $ up front. You can always upgrade to 5.1's down the road. I still say keep the front wheel and build up just a lighter rear wheel with a better hub.
The stock wheelset sold, so I have to build up another set of wheels.

The 4.2s are 400g.
540s are well, 540g.
5.1s are 500g.

I wanna build a light wheelset for her. She is a average girl DH/AM rider. She rode singletracs for 3 years and they looked brand new.

I can get a set of Hope/DT 4.2s for cheap.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
build up on Stan's Flow's. Really happy with 'em on my trailbike. 475g, easy tubeless and good width.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I ordered the Hope 2/ DT Swiss 4.2 wheelset. The bike should lose about a pound.

Next step is cranks.

What is the lightest cranks and BB she could get away with?

Atlas, XT, Stylos?

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
Next step is cranks.

What is the lightest cranks and BB she could get away with?

Atlas, XT, Stylos?
Don't get stylo's, they are flexy and in my opinion are crap to what else you could get. I have them on my slalom bike and absolutely hate them.

I had xt's on my socom and loved them, they held up really well and were nice and stiff.

you could also check out the slx stuff, they're suppose to be way stiffer than the xt's with only a little weight gain. I don't have any experience with them though.

If it were up to me I would so go with the xt's due to their strength, stiffness, and relatively light. ( thats what will be going on my girl friends bike in a bit:cheers:)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I want light, so XT cranks and XT BB?

What else is lighter that will hold up to a 130lb girl?

What about RF Deus?

Last edited:

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
I want light, so XT cranks and XT BB?

What else is lighter that will hold up to a 130lb girl?

What about RF Deus?
I duno how the RF Deus's would hold up. I would be a little weary of them, but I am also a 160 lb male too. The atlas non 83 mm bb cranks would be ok. they weigh 2.1 lbs w/ BB.

Check out the SLX's as well, they weigh 2.2 for the dual ring version with steel pedal inserts and BB which isn't bad. They Xt's are 1.88, the lightest and would be/ are my choice for the girl.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Any idea how much the Hussefelt cranks and Howitzer Team BB weigh compared to the XT setup?

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
Any idea how much the Hussefelt cranks and Howitzer Team BB weigh compared to the XT setup?
The arms of the Truvative stuff weigh as much a 2 piece crankset with bb. IMHO I would stick with the Shimano or RF stuff, the Truvative stuff is stiff but super heavy.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The arms of the Truvative stuff weigh as much a 2 piece crankset with bb. IMHO I would stick with the Shimano or RF stuff, the Truvative stuff is stiff but super heavy.

Her current bike runs the Hussefelt cranks and Howitzer Team BB. Im just wondering how much her bike will lose.

Any idea?

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
Her current bike runs the Hussefelt cranks and Howitzer Team BB. Im just wondering how much her bike will lose.

Any idea?
I don't know sorry. I looked to try and find the weights and found the weights of the crank arms only. My guess would be a 1/4 of a pound maybe more?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle

Kanter, dig around sicklines a bit. THey have a gallery of self as well as user submitted pics of product on digi scales. It is great for this kind of thing. Starbike is VERY road bike oriented with a bent toward the super crazy expensive light weight parts (100% carbon saddle with no padding or cover..).

The Howitzer bb is a freaking tank. The OCT arms with bb are as heavy or heavier (depending on year) as saints....so a good pound heavier than XT.

IMO the crank/spindle interface on RF cranks is very poorly designed and engineered on many levels..
I went through 4 sets (sold the final warranty items) of RF cranks that failed at the press fit. This was NOT from riding, it was install/removal. Each set lasted 3-4 install/removal cycles before the interface was permantly loose.

I also feel that the shim system to adjust the bearings is severly flawed. You can only make adjustments in 1/2 mm finite increments. Think of a headet that you could only adjust in full turn increments...and you start to see the issue.

XTs are the best bet for a light weight crank set IMO. At 185+ I have no issues with functionality or durability on my 'all but DH' bike. THey are plenty stiff and solid. My only hesitation would be on a bike that would see high speed, weighted pedal hits on rocks (dedicated DH bike). I would think (and have heard of) the pedal threads going out.

edit, stock arms & bb ~1040g
XT arms and bb ~680g

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
From all the weights I can find.
The XT cranks and BB are around 850g
The stock Hussefelt cranks (870g) and Howitzer Team BB (381g) so 1251g

Almost a pound. Does this sound about right?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
OK, I think its done for now, again. :) I made a few more changes. The bike lost another 2 lbs. Its 36.1 lbs as it sits in the pics. The ti spring will be here this week and the bike SHOULD hit the high 35 lb mark. Not to bad with DH tires and coil suspension. She rode the bike around last night and loves it. Its almost 9-10 lbs lighter than her last bike and its a size smaller. Not bad for about $2800.

-Hope/DT 4.2 wheelset
-Diety bars
-XT cranks
-ti-Wellgo mags
-Blackspire Lite God bash

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im going to take it out for a ride once this darn snow melts. Its now 36 lbs right on the nose with the new ti-spring. Its actually a pretty sweet bike.

Last edited: