Quantcast

Will Manitou/HBS ever dig itself out?

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
It requires a longer fork and more exposed stanchion so the reverse arch doesn't hit the downtube.

Kind of self defeating.
The reverse arch does not necessitate having the large amount of exposed stanchion that is found on Manitou forks. The Travis for example, set at the lowest axle-to-crown height possible, has about an inch of clearance between lower crown and casting at bottom out. If the stanchions didn't taper to a larger diameter at the lower crown, I could lower the crown well over half that distance before the arch would be anywhere close to contacting the downtube. And my bike has a larger downtube gusset than most. There is also no reason why Manitou couldn't have raised the casting up. The distance between the seals and the top of the arch on a Manitou is much longer than on say, a Marzocchi.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
as long as you never rider another Fox Fork, you'll be happy believing that....:pirate2:
I had a 40, I like my travis much better! Plus I got the travis new for 400 bucks!! 1600? or 400? hmmmmmm.......(and currently testing out a 66sl on that same bike too)

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Cool. Why then?
Since they realized their forks just sucked, that they decided to shoot for the Ugliest Fork award.

As someone pointed out, others are making a reverse arch fork. Yeah, but I won't buy those either.

Stiffer? I don't recall having stiffness issues with my Fox's or Zokes.

I think it was just a marketing ploy gone wrong, and now they're embarrassed to admit it.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Since they realized their forks just sucked, that they decided to shoot for the Ugliest Fork award.

As someone pointed out, others are making a reverse arch fork. Yeah, but I won't buy those either.

Stiffer? I don't recall having stiffness issues with my Fox's or Zokes.

I think it was just a marketing ploy gone wrong, and now they're embarrassed to admit it.

Being willful and rationalizing can give you the answer you want EVERY time!

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Off topic completely...but the memory of you hucking vertical off the pointy rock on flat ground at the NORBA Nat at Snowshoe right in front of the evil crew is still fresh in my memory bro...
hmm I know what year you mean, but which rock and which huck? aha I totally forget

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
aha, o crap that corner rock that gracia was jumping...yes now I remember. I actually have that on video, I jump it stupuid then ride on and my front goes flat and I fall over ahaaa

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
aha, o crap that corner rock that gracia was jumping...yes now I remember. I actually have that on video, I jump it stupuid then ride on and my front goes flat and I fall over ahaaa
Yup! One of the all time classic moves in racing. Everybody was like "Seth's gonna go for the win." Here you came and just went straight up in the air...then straight down. But it was the best vertical leap on a bike I'd ever gotten to see. :shocked:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
the one that ended your race run with a flat.
Holy crap, I remember that - I was standing right there! Too bad about the flat - the jump was sick, and as I recall, Seth was hauling ass on that course in practice and would have had a legit shot at the podium.

--JP

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
aha thanks man, I believe you actually threw in a new tube for my front wheel as I stood really angry in the woods. Then I took off to go again for the hell of it and my chain broke off haha:shakefist:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
aha thanks man, I believe you actually threw in a new tube for my front wheel as I stood really angry in the woods. Then I took off to go again for the hell of it and my chain broke off haha:shakefist:
Like I said...one of my best race run memories ever. John and the crew fanboying for you. Max elevation. A mid-race tire change and a mechanical...all in 1. That was the blossoming of a comedic relationship between E13, me, Jeremy and the hillbilly crew. :thumb:

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Like I said...one of my best race run memories ever. John and the crew fanboying for you. Max elevation. A mid-race tire change and a mechanical...all in 1. That was the blossoming of a comedic relationship between E13, me, Jeremy and the hillbilly crew. :thumb:
haha hell yes