Quantcast

Will this work?? Fork question...

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
My friend has the lowers from a sherman Firefly, he ovalized the crown and has no need for them anymore. I have also found someone selling the steerer tube, crown, and stanchions from a sherman dirt jumper.

Would I be able to buy springs for a dirt jumper and use the DJ uppers with the Firefly lowers and essentially have myself a sherman Dirt jumper?

snaky69

Monkey
Feb 10, 2007
Quebec, Canada
I figure it could only for if the diameter of the stanchions was the exact same, and that the bore of the stanchions was the exact same and blah blah blah.

99% chances it won't work, 1% it would.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I figure it could only for if the diameter of the stanchions was the exact same, and that the bore of the stanchions was the exact same and blah blah blah.

99% chances it won't work, 1% it would.
Im pretty sure the stanchion diameters of sherman DJers and fireflys are both 32mm.

Please correct me if im wrong

snaky69

Monkey
Feb 10, 2007
Quebec, Canada
Oh yeah, those both are, no question about it. But who is to say marzocchi's 32mm is the exact same at manitou's? Keep in mind they are made in two different factories, and are not made with the same tolerances, or even maybe the same machines.

The inner diameter of the stanchions is pretty sure to be different, as neither fork use the same internals in the first place.

More power to someone willing to give it a try, but I doubt it would work, we'd be seeing a lot of those otherwise(people upgrading their crappy SSV dampening to TPC or something like that). Or people using the lowers from the sherman or gold label line to lower their dirt jumper's A2C height.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Oh yeah, those both are, no question about it. But who is to say marzocchi's 32mm is the exact same at manitou's? Keep in mind they are made in two different factories, and are not made with the same tolerances, or even maybe the same machines.

The inner diameter of the stanchions is pretty sure to be different, as neither fork use the same internals in the first place.

More power to someone willing to give it a try, but I doubt it would work, we'd be seeing a lot of those otherwise(people upgrading their crappy SSV dampening to TPC or something like that). Or people using the lowers from the sherman or gold label line to lower their dirt jumper's A2C height.
I think you misread. He's not trying to mix and match marzocchi and manitou, He's creating a franken manitou with 2 separate (but similar) manitou forks.

I think it will work, my roommate threw gold label uppers into sherman lowers without a problem. I think all 32mm manitou's are interchangeable. ( I think...)

snaky69

Monkey
Feb 10, 2007
Quebec, Canada
I think you misread. He's not trying to mix and match marzocchi and manitou, He's creating a franken manitou with 2 separate (but similar) manitou forks.

I think it will work, my roommate threw gold label uppers into sherman lowers without a problem. I think all 32mm manitou's are interchangeable. ( I think...)
Yeah I did misread. I hadn't caught the word sherman before the OP said dirt jumper. Sorry about that.

Yes it will work.