Quantcast

Windrock from a different perspective

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I crashed in SR last Sunday and split open my elbow pretty good. I thought I was healing up nicely until I crashed XC riding, yes I know it sounds stupid, but I busted it back open and some serious swelling set in. I needed to stay off the bike a bit and let it heal back up. So on Friday and Saturday I did some Jeeping with a buddy of mine. He hit some areas of Windrock I had no idea existed. I think I have found my off-road fix once I quit racing. Jeeping was a lot of fun and I am amazed at what these things will do. Even the stock ones can go crazy places.

Enjoy...

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
before we started downhilling up there,
terry and i used to do these all day x-c rides farther north and east.
it was before all the mass of ohv activity.
we'd get off into some of the best hi-tech rarely used old double track a.t.v.trails you'd ever want to ride. all the climbing and downhilling you could ever ask for in one place.
the north side has laurels and rhodedendrons. big streams. more beauty than most people will ever know about.

that was without a doubt the best mt.biking in knoxville or anywhere close by. easily as good as anything we ever rode in pisgah.
i couldn't tell you how many times we were lost and were too stubborn to backtrack. loved every minute of it.

and we couldn't ever get anybody else to go. gary chambers and rusty were the only other two who ever went exploring with us.
we took a few others on our "short loop". but they never rode there again.
the biggest obstacle was that the ride always started out with a 45min. near vertical climb up from briceville to the top of the mt.
but once you made it, you were at the highest point in the cumberlands. the view was the best.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, I was super suprized how the north side is full of laurel and big creeks. We rode trail 39 and it is one I diffinately want to ride on a bike. I am really want a 5-6" trail bike to explore and ride on long rides.

Plus we rode out 116 and crossed over Walden and came back into Clinton. 116 is as steep as any road I've seen in the Smokies. I've got to hit that on my road bike.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
when i was training for my two leadville 100 races, i was riding my bike from my house, north through clinton and up over walden and on and up 116.
i was on an fsr with semi slicks.
i'd usually ride from there east and down vowel mt. into lake city and back through norris and home.

but once i turned around and rode, no make that ripped back down 116. that was a descent i'll never forget. those switchback turns down from the trash dump were a blast. and the long streches toward the bottom were a speed junkies nirvana !!

we need to put slicks on our d.h. sleds, gear up and smoke that road.
i've got a pair of high roller semi's just waiting.

i'm serious about that. let me know if anybody else is interested.

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
The Jeep guys are just as crazy as you DH'ers for the most part.

Doug, stop by for a pump track session. Oh wait a minute... there is still an impression in one of the berms of your elbow where you wrecked there also. :rofl: Guess you better heal up a little.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i've talked with enough of those guys over the years to know that you can drop over 30-50 grand on one easily.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
That's a damn nice Scrambler. I had one for just such anti-social uses. Loved that truck. I had a set of bike clamps welded to the roll bar, made it handy to get bikes into interesting places and then roll down on the DH sleds while the wives took a more mundaine trip back down.

And yea, I don't buy it either without a beer in sight. That's almost Fidel like!