Quantcast

Windrock Update Thread

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
ChrisKring said:
Can we hit the road gap on the first run blind? Please station the ambulance.

I made my hotel reservation today. I can't wait to get down there.
if you hit it blind on your first run, you might want to make an emergency room reservation.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
ztlh13 said:
You guys mind if I help with the mode? Oh and how about shuttling too?
"bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

i think i just need to ask the a.t.v. club to clear out for the weekend, cause we're takin over.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
LOOnatic said:
Me and some guys from NewOrleans gonna try to make it.
Hey Kring what Hotel are guys staying at? Oakridge?
We are staying at the Best Western. There are better places for a ton more cash (comfort inn) and some real dumps that are not much cheaper (super8).

Here is a post from our team's message board. There is a rowing event in town that weekend so get your reservations in now. And don't take rooms in our block. That said, I think the hotel has room for you and you should be able to get our group rate.
http://highgearracing.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=819
John M said:
Well most of you that went last year will remember we ran into this same problem that I am running into this year.
Seems that we are on the same schedule as a rowing event (yes the same one from last year) so that does 2 things....fills up hotels, and makes it hard for me to make a deal.
Here is what I came up with:

12 rooms at The Days Inn with the cost being $ 59.00 + tax $68.00 Total
With the sleeping arragments as follows

#1) John M, Jeff G, Ron H
#2) Heather & Stacey (Jeff H IF he can make it)
#3)Bill, Johnny & His father
#4)Chris & Ryan
#5) Matt & Evan
#6)Aaron & Jeff (my friends riding the atv park)
#7)John L & Sean
#8) Luke Des & Dean (Bo may be coming too for those who know him)
#9)Criag J & Steve K
#10) Julian & Chris (Julian If you are riding down with Craig. You or Craig can put you're 2 rooms on one reservation)
#11)Dan & Kim
#12)Eddie & Nate

What I need for this to go smooth is the first person on the list for each room MUST call and hold that room on there own credit card.(I will take care of # 1,2,5&6 myself)
Just tell them the reservation is being held under my name and is to transfered from my name to yours ( for check in ease)
The Number is 865-483-5615
Once you have changed you're room to you're reservation post up here to let me know. If you have not taken care of this by the 15th of March. I will remove the room from our reservation and you will be on you're own. Please call me if you have any questions @ 586 675 3475
If you are not on the list you can call ask for the same price just tell them you need a room but WERE NOT on the original resevation but still need a room. They should be able to do that as well. Also If you are planning on riding Friday and need to change the dates on you're perticular room you can do that too.- JM

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
dhbuilder said:
"bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

i think i just need to ask the a.t.v. club to clear out for the weekend, cause we're takin over.
John M. is setting us up with shuttle accomidations since we are showing up with so many people. Sounds like there will be plenty of riders to fill up all of the shuttles.

From everything I have heard, I wouldn't be surprized if there were 75-100 dh riders there that weekend. I think we had 25-30 in the fall with just our group and Doug/Moorwood guys. Last spring we had around 40 with our group and all of the others that showed up. This trip is going to blow that out of the water. Should be a good time. We might want to post this up on the DH board and over at Hcor. The ATV club would be blown away if there were more DH riders than quads.

PSA: no skidding, no stopping just before drops or in the middle of the trail and most important: donate a couple of bucks to the trail fund.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
ChrisKring said:
no stopping just before drops or in the middle of the trail
i'm still suffering because of someone doing that very thing last fall.

a very dangerous decision indeed.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
awsome joey. ill see if my boy in asehville is willing to make the trip to the rock on sunday for a day trip and we will be able to run some shuttles for you guys to lighten the load off you guys. this is the best damn news ive heard all week man. thanks for all your hard work and cant wait to shred it again.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
dhbuilder said:
i'm still suffering because of someone doing that very thing last fall.

a very dangerous decision indeed.
yeah...Kalen stopped on Southern Rocks to admire your work and I freight trained up behind him and flipped on my brand new D2...hah hah...only with Kalen

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
sounds like you need a spotter, ala nascar.
nowaday those guys can"t find the porta john without somebody on the radio telling them where to turn.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
dhbuilder said:
sounds like you need a spotter, ala nascar.
nowaday those guys can"t find the porta john without somebody on the radio telling them where to turn.

sounds like an easy job. Uh hey... turn left.
Then take...um....another left.... :rolleyes:

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
I am not a NASCAR fan, but I heard from Jay Leno that some dude that drives a NASCAR named Sterling Marlin can read a newspaper from 20 feet away. Thas f'n impressive. If thats what it takes for DH racing I'm screwed.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Sterling Martin is one big boy. I doubt he could make it 30 feet down the trail at Windrock and that is giving him a few bounces.

santacruzed

Monkey
Nov 6, 2004
hickory, nc
profro said:
Sterling Martin is one big boy. I doubt he could make it 30 feet down the trail at Windrock and that is giving him a few bounces.
probably alot of people that the first drop in at windrock would do that to also:hot:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
nope and that is what is just so damn awsome about it. joey again man keep up the good work and cant wait to shred the new stuff. ohh and last time i was there in october i wasnt able to pay for shuttle fee so i need to give terry his much deserved gas money. well ill talk to you guys later and ill cya opening weekend.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Is it game on after the listed weekend? That's right before I am leaving for the Otter, and supposedly I have to play host to my second wife that weekend, so I might be kinda home stuck that show.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Tattooo said:
Is it game on after the listed weekend? That's right before I am leaving for the Otter, and supposedly I have to play host to my second wife that weekend, so I might be kinda home stuck that show.
Tell you what, give me your hotel and entry fees for S.O. and I'll go in your place.:trophy_br
And as for the 2nd wife, why don't you get your first wife to keep her company while you ride?

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I sketched out a map of the trails at Windrock last night. It's not exactly to scale but it should suffice in getting you around. Hopefully this can be printed from this page, but if not, pm me and I'll send you a copy. Also we can bring copies the first few weekends to give out. Just thinking this will help familiarize new riders with the trails until we get them GPS'd.

Mark

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
cool map.

hopefully that'll help out the "geographically challenged" amoung us.

just don't stop in the middle of the trails to read it !!!

we'll also try to put up some sort of sign at the three way split. (no make that, four way split)

but if not, then just pick a trail and rip.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Oh, the cut over from SR to Drop Out/Off Camber is invisible. Is that meant to be? I saw that the other day when I was up there walking around. I saw the trail, but it looks like it has been allowed to grow back over.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
we haven't done anything to that cut.

it's kind of a waste of a trail. you either hit dropout from the top or ride southernrocks from the top.

i rode it a couple of times last year and didn't think too much of it.
i'll try to get it cleaned up if you want it. but it'll be pretty low on the list.

maintanence is going to be a very labor intensive chore this year with all the new trails added.
we're hoping that heavy doses of round-up early this spring on the trailbeds will help.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
also, the first double will get "shaved down" a little bit at a time to throw us out farther instead of up high like it was doing.

the next jump down is going to get streched out farther to get the same result.

a small lander exstension will be put under the new upper rockgarden bridge, so you don't have to boost out to clear the creek edge.

and the r.h. turn in the waterfall may get bermed quite a bit.
we have a massive amount of fresh dirt nearby now, and i'll haul it bucket by bucket up to it.

as soon as i can hit the other three jumps ya'll hit. i'll decide whether or not to shave the lips down a little to de-kick them.
i want distance and not elevation on all three. especially the road gap.

for all we did this winter, i'm real happy that just some minor re-tuning is all that's needed before we let the monkeys in.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Peete said:
Tell you what, give me your hotel and entry fees for S.O. and I'll go in your place.:trophy_br
And as for the 2nd wife, why don't you get your first wife to keep her company while you ride?
'Cause I have to keep them both company, if you know what I am saying.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
that's pretty neat.

one change i'd like to suggest.
change the color of middle finger trail from green to red.
because that's one smokin hot trail !!!
(as ya'll will soon find out.)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
dhbuilder said:
that's pretty neat.

Its sooooo over rated.... :rolleyes:

NOT!!!!!! :sneaky:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
man,
you just might be right.

obviously a couple of white trash locals think we're so good that we should be able to just jump across the creek instead of using the bridge that's lying feet up now.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
dhbuilder said:
that's pretty neat.

I think the use of pink to outline southernrocks is very cute & it really sets the overall tone of the trail.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
spoke80 said:
I think the use of pink to outline southernrocks is very cute!
i don't think i'd like to be the one to go and tease that trail to it's face, about being colored pink.