Quantcast

Windrock Work Day

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Last weekend was the first ever (that I know of at least) Windrock public workday. We added a nice upper section to the lander of the road gap and also put some fresh dirt on the lip. We then had a half ride day and it was incredible to get to see the new trail 1st hand.

Unfortunately my pics of the lander didn't come out as expected for some reason but here are some others.

Takeoff Before (you can see the landing in the background):

Here are the boys hiking some tools down to the jump:

Working on the lander:

Everyone admiring the day's work:

After pic of the takeoff:

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Its about time Kenen! Its to bad the lander ones didnt come out well. Cant wait to get back up there and hit it now.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
The ones of the landing came out so bad you couldnt even post them? Tell the truth Kenan, you left the lense cap on didnt you.....

You're funny -- man I don't know wtf happened but they're all really bright. I must've had the shutter speed set wwaaayyy to low but I don't know how that could've happened. Oh well...I'm bringing the tripod to our next windrock trip to get some pics of you guys hitting that monster.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You're funny -- man I don't know wtf happened but they're all really bright. I must've had the shutter speed set wwaaayyy to low but I don't know how that could've happened. Oh well...I'm bringing the tripod to our next windrock trip to get some pics of you guys hitting that monster.
you ever trail ride during the week bro? I hit Bent Creek yesterday afternoon and needed elbow pads to block pass people.:disgust1:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
you ever trail ride during the week bro? I hit Bent Creek yesterday afternoon and needed elbow pads to block pass people.:disgust1:

Wow see, everyone (well most everyone) gives you the benefit of the doubt, of just being an arse on-line.

I guess you just really needed to get your training on? :plthumbsdown:

How big is the gap from take off to lander?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Wow see, everyone (well most everyone) gives you the benefit of the doubt, of just being an arse on-line.

I guess you just really needed to get your training on? :plthumbsdown:
.....?
having never talked to me in person you may want to realize that my comment on block passing was not meant literally and that I was merely making reference to the fact that Bent Creek had tons and tons of people on the trails and riding was therefore "in close quarters".

I took my wife on her 2nd ride in 2 weeks and showed her some fun trails and out of the way stuff. Yeah..I'm such an a-hole. You, on the other hand.....:clapping:

Back on topic...the road gap is not a hard jump. Brady and I goofed on it for 15 minutes, going full bore moto speed and then...tentative floater speed, then hucker front wheel up, dead sailor...al before the new upgrades. You can literally come up way short and it's the equivalent of doing a 5-6 foot rolling drop off a ledge. It was no big deal.
from what I can tell, now you can panic jump and still be good to go. PROPS!

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
You definitely dont wanna come up short now, cause there is a back side to the landing. But I really dont see anybody coming up short on it. The landing was moved up a bit and its steep the whole way through. There's no landing flat on that jump now.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
You definitely dont wanna come up short now, cause there is a back side to the landing. But I really dont see anybody coming up short on it. The landing was moved up a bit and its steep the whole way through. There's no landing flat on that jump now.
Hurray for transitions!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
as nice as the jump was re-worked.
all the area right in front of the lip suffered a little bit from the deluge we had up there sunday morning.

i spent from 9a.m. till 1:30 up around that area.
while it was pouring.
it was good to be up there while the water was building on the trails.

the new lander had no water or erosion problems.
but trail 1 and the run in to the jump needed some serious ditch work a.s.a.p.
and a couple of the small creeks in that area needed to be cleaned of leaves and debris.
the huge water flow that morning made that job easier.

also the roadbed you guys ditched out and widened helped save that whole area.
it kept the water flowing faster through that area, instead of backing up and eventually running down the landing trail.

that area got a much needed face lift.

thanks guys.
ya'll wouldn't believe the volume of water that was flowing down it sunday.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
the short distance on the gap is now just under 20ft.
and it's as long as you want it.
the lander has just a few degrees shallower pitch.
that give the the ones who jump deeper a sense of a tabletop just like there always was before.

just coasting down into it at the speed the trail gives you, will easily get you past and over the gap.
if you freak and drag the brakes you won't clear it.

and the way the roadbed was trenched in deeper, you can't ride around anymore.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Here's a pic of the lander that didn't turn out at all and then I made an attempt to photoshop some life in it. If you squint your eyes, you can kind of tell where the lander starts.