Quantcast

winter clothes?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
So its getting a little too cold for my riding shoes (w/lots of mesh) and shorts for riding...

So what would be a better investment, shoe covers or warmer non mesh shoes? (note: I'm poor/cheap and do not want to spend $$$ on expensive winter only shoes)

Also, what would you recommend instead of tights? (no offense to anyone, but they are just too ghey looking for my taste )

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I got a pair of the Sidetrak booties and like them alot. They just slip over and attach with velcro on the sides. Even made by a company up here in the PNW!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Booties look gheyer than tights, but last time I checked riding was not about looking good. Most fashon nazis are fair weathered and won't tough the cold to make fun of you.

When it gets really cold around here I ride with flats and hiking boots.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
Booties look gheyer than tights, but last time I checked riding was not about looking good. Most fashon nazis are fair weathered and won't tough the cold to make fun of you.

When it gets really cold around here I ride with flats and hiking boots.

thats good cause I never look good when riding......yeah, thats what I normally do for the occasional winter rides: flats/hiking boots

well, go big or go home......booties, tights and a pair of pink shorts :thumb:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Echo said:
Yeah man, you show up for a winter ride, nobody cares what you are wearing. You are hard core just by being there.

true!

speeking of hardcore, this w/e is the last platty race of the year
no I am not planning to do it

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
douglas said:
So its getting a little too cold for my riding shoes (w/lots of mesh) and shorts for riding...

So what would be a better investment, shoe covers or warmer non mesh shoes? (note: I'm poor/cheap and do not want to spend $$$ on expensive winter only shoes)

Also, what would you recommend instead of tights? (no offense to anyone, but they are just too ghey looking for my taste )
Covers don't work very well over mesh covered riding shoes in my opinion. I use Lake winter riding shoes with footwarmers and if it is slushy then some slip on covers. I am toasty down to about 10 degrees. Riding short under long johns, under fleece pants or ski pants. Good ones will just get ruined so go cheap. Under Armor makes good stuff as does Nike. I basically buy whatevers on sale and live with it. The most important thing to wear is waterproof gloves. When your hands get cold....game over.....jdcamb

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:
On those really awful days (<15*) I wear riding shorts under thermal underwear under tights under lined wind pants. Just make sure you tuck the wind pants into your socks or something so they don't catch on your chainring. Wind pants are great against the wind, and do a decent job keeping you dry.

I wear the same shoes (and gloves for that matter) year round, so I can't much help you on the shoe/bootie thing.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
good ideas...but I more concerned about riding right now......I have plenty of clothes for the real cold, but the inbetween stuff (40's & 50's) is where I have a lack of riding clothers/footwear

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:
good ideas...but I more concerned about riding right now......I have plenty of clothes for the real cold, but the inbetween stuff (40's & 50's) is where I have a lack of riding clothers/footwear
Then just layer as necessary. Go thermals and unlined windpants perhaps. Or just lined windpants (cotton lining may absorb sweat though...).

I'd probably ride in thermals and tights right now, but...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I've just been wearing a thermal undershirt with a jersey and wind vest or fleece overshirt thingie. That seems to be enough. I have yet too wear tights...just shorts with knee warmers.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Doug, go to Dick's Sporting Goods, and look at some of the stuff in the running clothing section. I picked up a pair of Fitness Gear brand pants last year that are a cross between tights and windpants. They aren't skin tight, but they still keep you warm and the lowers are cut close w/ zippers, so there isn't a chance of hooking the chain rings like with a wind pant. Plus, they were only +/- $20.

I use them over shorts during this time of the year, than add a thermal layer once it gets colder. Seems to work pretty well for this area.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
berkshire_rider said:
I picked up a pair of Fitness Gear brand pants last year that are a cross between tights and windpants.
FWIW... I believe Fitness Gear is Dick's house brand, that's why it's always such a good deal. I've got a few of their shirts and they have held up very well. Cheap in price, not in quality, in my experience.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
berkshire_rider said:
Doug, go to Dick's Sporting Goods, and look at some of the stuff in the running clothing section. I picked up a pair of Fitness Gear brand pants last year that are a cross between tights and windpants. They aren't skin tight, but they still keep you warm and the lowers are cut close w/ zippers, so there isn't a chance of hooking the chain rings like with a wind pant. Plus, they were only +/- $20.

cool..........I'll have to check those out, and I'm thinking of getting a pair of sixsixone tiburon's for shoes

have any rides or night rides planned?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
have any rides or night rides planned?
I think I'm riding with Splat tomorrow night at Whitehall. I'm going up to Maine to visit my parents for about a week, and am going to stop and do a night ride on the way.

Next weekend, (November 13th/14th), if you are available, are you up for a ride? Road trip to Potter Mountain or Pittstown SF would both work.

Also, there MIGHT be a trip to Yokun Ridge on Saturday November 20th or Sunday the 21st. A couple of the Saratoga guys want to see the trails there. You are welcome to join us if we go. :cool:

splat

Nam I am
Yup bershire_ride , slonMoJo and maybe If_rider are riding lake white hall tommorow Night.

as for the Winter wear , I waer Tight with long underwear , and as for the shoes . Performance's own Brand of shoe covers ( they are the heaviest I HAve seen for not much $$$$) and I also wear either neoprene or seal skin socks.

I also Have a Pair of Shimano Winter riding boots , with Gore tex insoles

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Heidi said:
I got a pair of the Sidetrak booties and like them alot. They just slip over and attach with velcro on the sides. Even made by a company up here in the PNW!
Hey, great product! I looked up their website and ordered a pair today. The company is about a mile from my work!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
berkshire_rider said:
Next weekend, (November 13th/14th), if you are available, are you up for a ride? Road trip to Potter Mountain or Pittstown SF would both work.

Also, there MIGHT be a trip to Yokun Ridge on Saturday November 20th or Sunday the 21st. A couple of the Saratoga guys want to see the trails there. You are welcome to join us if we go. :cool:

sounds like something I'd be down for (xcept for the 14th - I have to work)

douglas said:
In those temps, I just switch from shorts to jeans. After you have been riding for fifteen or twenty minutes you don't want insulation anyway. A windbreaker to wear while taking breaks is useful.

The major thing is to keep getting out and riding as the season changes and avoid the "It's too cold" mindset.

J

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
berkshire_rider said:
What the hell are you doing working on a Sunday. :p :mumble: :nope:
messing w/the servers

berkshire_rider said:
I'll plan on riding with you somewhere on Saturday 11/13, then. Feel free to pick a spot you want to go to.
a tour of the good stuff at pittstown SF sounds interesting

Arm On Fire

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Exeter, NH & Acton, MA
Sometimes I cut the plastic bags the newspapers come in, to about 9-10", and then put it over myfoot in a sock and slip on the shoes.

keeps me toes form gettin cold by the wind, in the mesh shoes