Quantcast

winter dh bike the next best thing

spliffy

Monkey
Dec 10, 2007
DURANGO Colorado
So some may think this is stupid, but Once you try it you will be hooked.
This was an old Chumba Wumba dh frame that was sittin in the attick of the shop, So made a ski bike. This has a winter x bike kit that was modifide to take 105 cm lamar snowbpards so you can ralley it in up to 2 feet of snow. This thing handles like a dh bike and best of all it can be taken to most ski resorts. All you have to do is do a certification test. And your good to go.

spliffy

Monkey
Dec 10, 2007
DURANGO Colorado
ski board are good to the only thing though after about 8 inches of fresh snow they dig in to much and you get bagged down, they are great on groomers though. But if you want to ride ungroomed trails or powder they will dig in and you will go nowhere.

discombob

Chimp
May 23, 2006
A, A
Does anybody know where I could get one of these conversion kits for a DH bike like that winter-x-bike one?

I can't seem to find them for sale online and have done tons of Google searches. I just keep coming up with cheesy junk with no suspension that are way overpriced.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
What kind of ski brakes are on this for a ski area allowing to use it at their resort.
Does if fit on the chair lift or in the gondola?
I looked into them once and at 60 + pounds wondered what kind of run-a -way prevention these have.
I was surprised when I googled the ski areas that do allow snow bikes. Tons of them all over the place.

spliffy

Monkey
Dec 10, 2007
DURANGO Colorado
there are no ski brakes what so ever on them, witch is suprising. And i run a leash but it is not required by the resorts, The test just consits of doing a run with an instructor so they can make sure you have controle it took 15 min. And did not cost a thing. The bike weights 35 pounds and you hold it on the lift when you get on i hook the back of the seat on the chair lift seat and hold the bar.

spliffy

Monkey
Dec 10, 2007
DURANGO Colorado
Lenz sport still makes ski bikes but k2 stopped, unfortunatly the winter x bike kits have not been in production for the last two years but rumars are they will be making them agan next year. Today i did some up grades a fox dhx 5.0 rear shock e-13 direct mount stem and a hope stearing damper to help in the traverses.

Jan 6, 2009
Hummmmmmm!

Looks like a fun project.
A local recycle shop near me has loads of ski's, snowboards, and snow blades really cheap. I picked up a 3 year old Lib Tech board with Salomon bindings for 2100yen, or about 20USD!

What did you make as a mounting bracket?