Quantcast

Winter DH Festival

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Not really , but there is a group thats gonna ride Windrock Feb. 5th and the more the merrier:D Requiem and his possee are coming from Nashville so lube your chain and dust off your seat and get your a$$ off the couch and come ride! I can guarantee that all the snow will be melted and it'll be sunny skies all day the 5th.

If anybody near the Asheville area needs a ride let me know, or I can meet someone in Asheville.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'll say this. I'm so glad I live 20 minutes from Windrock. I get spoiled on riding DH that I can be picky on riding conditions. Hope you guys get some good weather on Sunday.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Just saw this thread. 3 of us from Ohio will be there on Sunday the 6th, so I guess we'll see you there. I think we'll be in my friend's Red Tacoma.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
I think we'll be there right around the same time. You got others coming or is it just you?

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Looking at the precip trackers, it looks like they only got about 3/10" of rain. Pretty stoked!

1speedbrian

Chimp
Jan 20, 2009
The sun has been in and out today but its super windy. There is a decent chance for dryish conditions. Ill probably come out tomorrow as well.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Wow got lucky with the weather and had a great time, the trails were in great shape, no tree's down and very few limbs. There was 9 riders today, it was the Ohio boys against the Nashville/asheville group and I think we got in more runs:D although when we left the Ohio crowd was still going strong:thumb:

President's day weekend sounds good to me :weee:

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Same here! We rode till about 4:45 when we just couldn't see well enough any more. Between the 3 of us from Ohio we covered all the lower trails. We cleaned quite a few limbs on one of the trails (the trail where if you go towards the road gap, but don't go left to the actual gap and instead keep going straight). However, if you ride the lower part of middle finger there is a small tree/large branch down in there that we couldn't get out. There's also a BIG tree down above the wooden step-down on Windmill, but it looks like you guys already tried taking it out but ran out of gas with the chainsaw or something. Wasn't a huge disappointment as the Windmill trail was just a hair soft for my taste so after 2 runs up there, we stuck to the lower stuff most of the day.

My favorite line of the day was Startin' Sh!t to Trail one to Drop out to Z-cut (sketchy landing off that drop!) to Southern Rocks to that trail that drops in off the shuttle road (G-14 I think it's called?) Anyhow, fun day!

Oh and we did 4 full shuttle rotations with the three of us, so that's 12 runs. Still not my record though. Was there with 3 of us last March and I think we did 16

Last edited:
My favorite line of the day was Startin' Sh!t to Trail one to Drop out to Z-cut (sketchy landing off that drop!) to Southern Rocks to that trail that drops in off the shuttle road (G-14 I think it's called?) Anyhow, fun day!

We just call that variation "z-cut" and most non regulars dont care for it but its one of my favorites also.
I'm impressed you guys covered so much:thumb:

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Well, it's a long drive for us, so if we're gonna day trip it-we sure as sh&! get the most we can out of the day!

Luckily we had an injury free day, except for Jason's bike, which has a dent about 1.5" around in the side of his top tube now! The rock strikes again!

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Well, it's a long drive for us, so if we're gonna day trip it-we sure as sh&! get the most we can out of the day!

Luckily we had an injury free day, except for Jason's bike, which has a dent about 1.5" around in the side of his top tube now! The rock strikes again!
Yeah I discovered when I got home that my rear wheel must have found that same rock and it claimed 3 spokes:rant:

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Super bummed I missed out last weekend. I'll be there this weekend. Riding saturday and sunday. Me and a friend are going to be staying at a hotel or camping fri/sat night. Anyone?

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
I think there may be 2 to 3 of us coming from Ohio again on Saturday, though we're not 100% as of yet. Any of you guys bringing a large(r) shuttle vehicle? Right now I'm thinking we'll be in my Honda CR-V which can only shuttle 3 or 4 people tops.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I think there may be 2 to 3 of us coming from Ohio again on Saturday, though we're not 100% as of yet. Any of you guys bringing a large(r) shuttle vehicle? Right now I'm thinking we'll be in my Honda CR-V which can only shuttle 3 or 4 people tops.
We'll have a dodge quad cab and there should be other trucks.

1speedbrian

Chimp
Jan 20, 2009
I went yesterday and cut that tree out on the windmill trail. Not a soul out there yesterday but it was probably a bad day for it, someone found a pipe bomb across from where rattlerock comes into the shuttle road and there where cops all up and down the road stopping people whenever they drove by.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
I went yesterday and cut that tree out on the windmill trail. Not a soul out there yesterday but it was probably a bad day for it, someone found a pipe bomb across from where rattlerock comes into the shuttle road and there where cops all up and down the road stopping people whenever they drove by.
Are you serious? I didn't realize that was such a violent area...

And thanks for getting that tree out, I need to conquer that drop/gap and that tree was just getting in my way :D

Good news is we may be able to take my friend's Chevy Avalanche. Should be 3 or 4 of us coming down Saturday (hopefully).

AndyPav

Chimp
Sep 8, 2010
Columbus GA
Are you serious? I didn't realize that was such a violent area...

And thanks for getting that tree out, I need to conquer that drop/gap and that tree was just getting in my way :D

Good news is we may be able to take my friend's Chevy Avalanche. Should be 3 or 4 of us coming down Saturday (hopefully).
Cool if we had a trailer I've got a good towing hitch, and ill have my dodge 4x4 quad cab there....seriously though. Sluts.:thumb:

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Unfortunately both the Ohio guys who have trailers are out in Nevada for the state DH championships right now. I'll have my Thule T2 4-bike rack with me, we can always throw that on a truck if it helps at all. You can usually but 3 bikes on the outer trays while still being able to sling bikes across the tail gate.

AndyPav

Chimp
Sep 8, 2010
Columbus GA
hm alright well i am sure we will work it out some way...trailer would be best, ill still attempt to find one, see you all on friday