Quantcast

Winter Riding: The Right Pant Leg

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Before you read any further, let me beg for forgiveness. This may be a ridicules question but I think it's a valid one. :drool:

Aight, so it's winter time and although, yes, I live in Arizona and although it's not COLD per-se, it's still "chilly" and I'm still wanting to commute on my bike ... wearing pants. I've been the numb-nut looking guy riding his bike with his right pant leg rolled half-way up his calf and although I don't mind looking like a numb-nut I'm wondering if there's some magic trick y'all know of that will save me from doing this.

As in, if I get some kind of a chainring guard / bashring will that prevent my pant leg from getting caught and all greased up??

:nopity:

Okay, I'm done now. Flame away.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wouldn't bother with the "a chain protector". They are usually some ugly, flimsy, plastic POS, which are not easy to order (as I learned from Truvativ).

A pant strap is the easier, which I use myself. You could also get a pair of knickers (or long shorts).

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Cool, pant strap. Or continue rolling up the cuff. Guess I thought there was some special trick that I wasn't in on. Thanks!

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
theres a company called hippy tech out of california i think. ill get you a little more information later on, but they make an awsome pair of knickers that will keep you plenty warm in the winter months during your commute. ill repost a websiter here tommarow that you can order from.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
my bad it wasnt hippy tech dont know why i thought that, but the company is call hypnotic designs. www.hypnoticdesigns.com they make an awsome pair of nickers and all you got to do to cover the exposed skin is get a pair of tall wool socks and your good to go.

amhso

Chimp
Dec 13, 2005
why not get some rubber bands and just wrap it. then it won't get caught on the chain (same with using velcro straps). very cheap...just don't use too tight of rubber bands, they'll cut your circulation.

padrik5

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Silverdale, Wa
you can get a pant tie from most shops it evan has reflective coating on it

or i used to use a rubber band on the way to school

but now all my pants are stained so i dont car lol

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Take the excess pant and fold it tight to your ankle. Keeping it cinched tight roll up twice and it will stay tight to your ankle, without having to roll it way up your leg. And clean your drivetrain, don't use so much oil if you're just commuting you don't need it.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Skookum said:
Take the excess pant and fold it tight to your ankle. Keeping it cinched tight roll up twice and it will stay tight to your ankle, without having to roll it way up your leg.
I remember when that was all the rage in high school. Everyone pegged their jeans. :)

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
it might look "stupider"... but i usually tuck my pant leg into my sock... problem solved..