Quantcast

Winter Tire Choice?

kalNhobbs

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Portland, Orygun!
I'm looking to get some new tires this Christmas for the wet months, but have been spending hours looking at threads for any help. I have a few ideas, but I thought it appropriate to ask those that ride the same dirt as I. My XC trails consist mostly of MAC forest here in Corvallis, but also include the HHT and Gales Creek loop at Brown's camp.

They would be mounted to the wide profile of my rhino lites. My Pana Fire XCs are a little too "unbeefy." My new XC ride is a Rigid Inbred SS, so I would prefer a high volume, 2.35 or 2.4 front tire, and maybe a 2.2 or 2.1 in the rear. There is the possibility I would also put them on my Freeride bike (MC Rumble) instead of the DMR Moto Diggers that are on there now (decent, but not great for use in the wet) when I take it out.

I was thinking maybe putting a Maxxis High Roller 2.35 on the front, and a Maxxis Advantage 2.1 on the rear. I like how the Advantage sounds, but I am not hearing such good things about the sidewalls, especially for a rear??? Also, I'm considering a pair of Kenda Nevegal DTCs, 2.35 in front, and 2.1 in the rear.

Any advice?

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
I love my Kenda Nevegals.
I'm on my second pair, and am hoping some place closes them out so I can stock up.
I run the 2.5's.
Even with the DH casing they are relativly light.
Not to mention the fact that I am in love with their sticky rubber and tread pattern.
For the PNW I would say they are your best bet.

Jun 18, 2004
Nevegals are good.... I run sticky Mobsters in the winter on my big bike... and Nevegals on my smaller bikes...

I have a set of Advantages that I used for an all mtn set up where it's closer to freeriding... maybe for a "light weight freeride bike".... they are not so good for trail riding... I planed to race them but never got around to it...

Holy Rollers are good for the less technical stuff and are versitile for riding off dirt...

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Nevegals are good, but go with Stick-E in front (and maybe rear) instead of DTC. Nevegals kick ass when new, but lose it when the tread is 50% gone. They last pretty long for how soft the rubber is, though.

Maxxis Minon F's are awesome, but I don't really like their 60d rubber, too hard for wet xc. (3C's are killer for DH/freeride, but suuuper soft for xc). Maxxis run tiny, consider going one size bigger than normal.

High rollers are nice, too - but same caveats as Minions.

I'm now running Hutchinson Barracuda's - they're pretty decent, but one notch below the others. They need a bit lower tire pressures to feel right.

If you've been running Panaracers, you'll be blown away by some of the more updated tire choices. Stick with them in the summer too, unless you're a racer type and need uber fast rolling rubber.

Have fun, good tires are the biggest performance improvement you can make to your bike.

kalNhobbs

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Portland, Orygun!
I decided to try out Nevegal 2.35 Stick E compound in the front, and a panaracer Cinder 2.25 in the rear. I think that between the two, they will make good winter tires (both have a sticky rubber compound), and are versatile enough to use in the summer too. I'll update with the results.

on an aside, hopefully using the low durometer stick e nevegal out front will take longer for it to wear? I don't want to purchasing a new one every few times I ride. Also, I hope that the logo designs on the tires don't clash; sorry I'm picky when it comes to how my bike looks, covered in mud or not.:biggrin:

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
lower duros are softer and wear quicker... fyi they also weight slighly more
Very true. But once you try them you'll never go back.

I get good life out of the Kenda Stick-E's, especially on the front. 2 xc rides (all dirt) a week for me and they last almost 6 months.

kalNhobbs

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Portland, Orygun!
I've actually rethought my decision because it was met with opposing thoughts from fellow PNW riders over at MTBR.

Now looking hard at a Conti Vert in the rear, and Diesel in the front (ProTection for both). Jenson has them both on sale, and I can have both shipped for about 60 altogether.

Kal

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I run 2.5 sticky nevegals...great tires, especially for the weight compared to others! I highly recommend them.

Jun 18, 2004
big bike 2.5 42a mobsters winter/60a summer...
all mtn nevegal sticky 2.35 frnt/ 2.1 rear...
park/urban holly rollers sometimes a blingbling Lopes in the front for better traction...
xc/Ht/trail nevegal 2.35 dual ply/2.1 sticky...
race whlset/light freeride 2.4 advantages
that's how I roll

coiler7

Monkey
May 30, 2005
Kent, WA
I've actually rethought my decision because it was met with opposing thoughts from fellow PNW riders over at MTBR.

Now looking hard at a Conti Vert in the rear, and Diesel in the front (ProTection for both). Jenson has them both on sale, and I can have both shipped for about 60 altogether.

Kal
A few yrs ago, I stopped buying more Conti MTB tires (Kevlar bead folding types) because were so hard to put on the rim without soaping em up alot. Changing a flat out on the trail was always a battle. I bought 3-4 sets of the XC or AM variety because the rubber combound was superior, had long tread life & durable sidewalls. I really like some of the newer tread patterns Conti offers. Anybody familiar with the Gravity 2.3s or still have that same old problem, in general, installing their Contis?
thanks

kalNhobbs

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Portland, Orygun!
I considered the Gravities, but there seems to be a consensus that they pack up in mud, which is why i chose the veticals over them. I will update when the Contis come in if they are a pain to mount (I ordered them yesterday :happydance:). If I can mount them on my 27.5mm wide Rhynos, then I'm sure you can mount them on almost anything.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I've been running a set of Deisel Pro 2.5s all season and it will be interesting to see how they work tomorrow morning in the snow.

So far though, I've been very impressed. Rolling resistance is good and at 2.5, they have great "float" in rocky stretches. Not so good in the fall slime thoug so I have to let a little air out of them.

No problem whatsoever putting them on Sun Singletracks. Don't really even need a tire lever.