Quantcast

Winter Tires

Jun 18, 2004
So what do you run in the wet slippy rock and roots?

I need a tire that dosn't pack up with Pine needles... Any suggestions?

I know about mobsters, highrollers, and Nevegals in different durometers... Looking for imput on tires other than those...

I run 2.5's on the big bike, 2.35/2.1's on the 6" bike, and 2.1/2.1 on the xc bike...

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Geax Blades. The 2.25 runs a lot bigger. More like a 2.4 or so.

The 1.85 is great for the rear to get down into the muck for good traction. Not great at high speeds as the sides tend to fold and they wear pretty fast. But are cheap and shed real well. Good for the tech stuff at lower air pressure.

And, if you don't mind teal side walls, they are always on blow out on line.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Yeah, the Michelins are eerily similar to the Minions. That thing will be bad-ass, btw.:monkeydance:
True. I used run Michelin but found the Minions to be tougher and less flat prone. A night spin at Tape in the snow last year sealed the deal on it being my favorite tire of all time.
I hope the Ktrack is as cool as it looks and more enjoyable than Nordic skiing.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Geax Blades. The 2.25 runs a lot bigger. More like a 2.4 or so.

The 1.85 is great for the rear to get down into the muck for good traction. Not great at high speeds as the sides tend to fold and they wear pretty fast. But are cheap and shed real well. Good for the tech stuff at lower air pressure.

And, if you don't mind teal side walls, they are always on blow out on line.
I really really really dislike Geax Blades. The worst tire I ever bought.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
minnion DHF 42A works out great for all conditions.

Mobsters, not so much, hence them not making them anymore.

Nevi's aren't bad, but they're not great in the wet.

Highrollers are pretty good as well.

But my personal choice are minnion fronts run for both front and rear.

Meddusa seems like a good option for the wet for a xc bike.

Swampthings are supposed to be pretty rockin, but not the fastest rolling tire.

:Edit: Apparently the mobsters are still on Maxxis' website. But they're not in any destribution catalogs.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I've used Nevy's for a couple of seasons and really liked the stick e on the Shore. Pretty grippy on the wet stuff and seemed to shed pretty well.

I added some Panaracer Rampages to my trail bike at the start of the year, and the look very promising. Faster rolling than the Nevy's since they are a higher durometer and grip really well. I'm not positive on how well they grip on the wet rooty stuff yet since it was early spring when I added them.

On the NSMB, a lot of peeps like the Bontrager Big Earls...