Quantcast

Winter tyre choice

bonky

Chimp
Jan 22, 2016
With the trails getting wet again I'm looking for a slightly more knobby tyre. Currently I'm running a Minion dual ply Maxxgrip but I'm looking at the Shorty as it has a bit more of an open profile so it should clear mud better than the Minion.

Problem is though that it will be used on quite a variety of trails, including some really rooty and rocky ones, which is where I'm a bit worried a spikey tyre would be struggling. And how are they on tarmac/harder packed trails? I have already thought about running a Magic Mary but I found it pretty weird on flat cornering (having ridden only Minions/clones for ages) and I don't really like paying a premium for tyres that fall apart so quickly..

What are the experiences here? Or is there another tyre that I should try?

Some facts:

- Steep and loose/techy/rocky rooty DH with some easier trails/tarmac in between

- Will be used on a big bike

- I like to corner pretty aggressively, laying the bike flat

- I ride through winter so it will see some pretty muddy conditions

- I love cornering, both flat turns and berms/catchberms

- I absolutely hate foldy tyres

- 35 psi rear, 20 at the front with Minion dual plies

- Might get Procore, if that matters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm really breaking my head over this and because of our Dutch habit of following the herd everyone is on Magic Marys so I can't test them..

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Shorty is really, really good in soft/muddy dirt, but like anything with spiky, widely spaced knobs, gets sketchy on roots and rocks. It's kind of an inevitable tradeoff. As soon as you have knobs that are far enough apart to clear mud well, there aren't enough of them to get good support on hard surfaces.

I still like them for the winter here in the rainy PNW.