Quantcast

Wintergreen for '08?

Aug 1, 2007
Richmond, VA
Does anyone know if Wintergreen has plans to run the lift on weekends this year? Their website doesn't have anything on mountain biking anymore, and I can't get anyone on the phone that knows a thing.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I've only heard they were going to run Loggers Alley with the shuttle service....

Which sucks......It used to be a fun day trip....

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Well, there is a DH race at Massanutten this weekend. Fun course.

Of course, Snowshoe open Memorial day weekend. Gonna be lots of fun. Plenty of people to hook up with for that as well.

As far as WG, I would call the Out of Bounds Adventure Center and ask them directly.......

obliterated

Chimp
May 10, 2008
the dare case was re-built: it was built 3-4 feet wider, with hand-rails and padding on either side.
Whats more lame? That joke or the fact that you've been telling it for 4 years. As the lift accessible day-trippers disappear be sure and congratulate yourself. What a fine ambassador for the sport you are.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Whats more lame? That joke or the fact that you've been telling it for 4 years. As the lift accessible day-trippers disappear be sure and congratulate yourself. What a fine ambassador for the sport you are.

The "dissappearance of lift accessible day-trippers" was taken care of by Wintergreen management staff when they ran us out of there. Now that's LAME! Beating the dead horse!

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
You know, you're right. Sorry for the beating of a dead horse. And why should I give a crap if the day-trippers disappear? It's not like WG is advertising for it anyway. Just seems like a waste of a good source of trails...

Again obliterated, I'm sorry if I pissed in your cornflakes.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Yes, Wintergreen showed the true colors, and blew a money making opportunity....Because of a power trips....

Oh well, WISP is more than a day trip and is worth the time and effort....

obliterated

Chimp
May 10, 2008
The "dissappearance of lift accessible day-trippers" was taken care of by Wintergreen management staff when they ran us out of there. Now that's LAME! Beating the dead horse!
So what...are you all things MB? Nothing is good if you aren't a part of it. Thats almost funny.

And I believe rehashing the same tired jokes whenever someone dare bring up the subject of wintergreen....like wannabe did before I posted....is the very defintion of beating the dead horse. If it's a "dead horse" to you.....you wouldn't have even clicked on the the thread.

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
Wait, Wintergreen is not doing its lift serviced trails on the weekends anymore? I have a cabin up there. That is usually all I do is bike lol. Loggers Alley is fun, but a pain to take like the 30 min shuttle ride back up. My favorite trail there is waterfall and actually the beginner trail is actually kinda fun. The berms and little roller things on the fire road are fun. And then, the intermediate trails are fun. I also like the tyro loop, but just the beginning section, where you can fly down the ski hill. Some of the stunts they need to rebuild. I was riding there and a nail was sticking out of the teetor totter and popped my tire. What ever happened to the road gap. Also they dont have many drops or jumps if any.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Wait, what happened at WG? Someone tell me the story.
Long time ago wintergreen had some of the best trail and race course builders at their disposal for free. They were stupid and said stop building and kicked them off the mountain because they were scared/ignorant/whatever you want to call it. Within the span of one off season the riding base went from 20-40 riders a weekend (i have no idea how many but they had a good turnout most weekends) to nothing.

Said trail builders moved to snowshoe and now that mountain is referred to as the best downhilling in the south easterly region.

Thats about the gist of it with a lot of other drama, trolling, etc.

Long story short Wintergreen missed the bus on a constantly growing and evolving sport...i mean look how much Diablo and Snowshoe have expanded in the past few years compared to before.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Long time ago wintergreen had some of the best trail and race course builders at their disposal for free. They were stupid and said stop building and kicked them off the mountain because they were scared/ignorant/whatever you want to call it. Within the span of one off season the riding base went from 20-40 riders a weekend (i have no idea how many but they had a good turnout most weekends) to nothing.

Said trail builders moved to snowshoe and now that mountain is referred to as the best downhilling in the south easterly region.

Thats about the gist of it with a lot of other drama, trolling, etc.

Long story short Wintergreen missed the bus on a constantly growing and evolving sport...i mean look how much Diablo and Snowshoe have expanded in the past few years compared to before.
Ahhh.....for the most part, you are correct, except for the "Now Snowshoe is the best downhilling......". Snowshoe has always been known for some of the best riding, XC, DH etc....on the East coast.

However, Mobius is right, Wintergreen was successful due to the proximity to major metropolitan cities.. (DC, Richmond, even Baltimore)

The ownership simply stopped supporting the program because it scared away the "civilized" summer crowed. Funny thing is, for every "civilized" summer person, there were 5 people who ride DH.

Simply stated, it was a good thing that was left to the wayside....I can guarantee there was a LOT MORE that happened, but this is the gist of it.

obliterated

Chimp
May 10, 2008
Long time ago wintergreen had some of the best trail and race course builders at their disposal for free.

So I was right, it's not the resort or trails that make the riding good. It's the fact that you are there that make it the place to be. It was a thinly veiled suggestion that the almighty Snowshoe wouldn't be what it is had they not had the good sense to bring in the Lords of Mountain Biking.

Are you actually serious? Do you laugh as you type that? Cause it's certainly funny to read.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
That's super ghetto.
I remember that weekend I rode with you guys. 1:20 runs were fun, the shuttle didn't suck, and they hooked us up with return passes just for being there.

That ain't right. Someone needs a kick in the man hackey sack.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I did talk to wintergreen a couple weeks ago. The guy I talked to said that if a large enough group, at least 5-6 people, came they would run a shuttle. You have to call and veify this. And a reservation is required, dont just show up. I think I talked to Dave, give hm a call.

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
THERE IS TOO MUCH DRAMA IN MOUNTAIN BIKING. Who cares about what money grubbing resort has the best trails. The best trails I've ever ridden were FREE. Some resorts are better than others in many peoples opinions, but in the end you still gotta pay and listen to all the armchair generals about what sucks and in the end it's those who bitch and complain that ruin it for everyone. Last time I rode (this morning) I was on dirt not pavement. Maybe all the winers should trade those fat tires for some skinny ones and join the rest of the jerks on the road. I'm sure someone will have something smart to say so type away jerks. To everyone else I say see you on the trail where bikes, bongs, and beers still rule and you don't have to worry about what lifts are running because there aren't any. Don't like pushing that 40lb sled up the mountain then buy a lighter bike. No one needs 8in of travel around here anyway. Too much squish is a terrible anesthesia and makes you a sloppy rider. While on a ride in Vancouver last year some guy named Wade Simmons said that 6in of travel is all you need and you will find that your skills improve. Then we dropped in on Air Supply with Slayer sxc's. Just some jerk I ride with sometimes. Probably doesn't know too much.:crazy::biggrin::biggrin:

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
Lastly everyone on this forum that complains about a man made place to ride should check themselves. Don't like what someone else made for you then don't go. No need to show your ass and sound ungreatfull. That's the problem with the U.S. these days. Everyone wants something for nothing. Buck up or shut up. Just be glad the rest of the places haven't gotten discouraged by all the **** talking and thrown in the towel, then everyone would have to pedal the bike. Peace BITCHES.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I just want peace in the middle east and a BJ.

Is that too much to ask for?

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
Gee. I think you should tell us how your really feel Baxter! Don't hold back now! :p
Sometimes you just gotta say it. I just want to look at a positive post for every mountain. No place is better than the other. THEY ALL HAVE THEIR FAULTS. Let's all get stoked to ride anything this summer. Just remember, we could all be pulling trigger time for some asshole oil and money grubbing tyrants in a pointless impossible to win war. I'd much rather be dodging trees than bullets.:D:D

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Sometimes you just gotta say it. I just want to look at a positive post for every mountain. No place is better than the other. THEY ALL HAVE THEIR FAULTS. Let's all get stoked to ride anything this summer. Just remember, we could all be pulling trigger time for some asshole oil and money grubbing tyrants in a pointless impossible to win war. I'd much rather be dodging trees than bullets.:D:D
Agreed! I for one am just gonna shut up and ride! :thumb:

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
I agree, been there and I like trees better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
What kinda ham fisted hack did you let take off your rear wheel. Just for future reference the chain stays on the bike when you remove a wheel

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Do you have a bicycle? I have a nice bicycle. It is a fast bicycle. I am not so fast on my bicycle, but it is a nice bicycle. My bicycle is broken. It will take money and beer to fix my bicycle. It will take money and beer to make my bicycle nice again.

Once my bicycle is nice again, I want to tell my friend Greg, "Greg, my bicycle is nice again." Then we can all ride our nice bicycles again, and then we will all be happy.

The End.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I can't believe it closed!!!!!!! I have a cabin up there. Biking was like all I did there.
Me too. My wife's aunt and uncle have a condo there. I rode down there 2 or 3 times a year for the last couple of years. I was really looking forward to riding this year because I finally got rid of (broke, actually)my hardtail and got a bottlerocket, a perfect bike for WG. Damn.