Quantcast

WINTERGREEN - Go now...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Just wanted to report that Wintergreen is in great form, and should be a desitination for all the mother huckers in this area...

A relatively easy drive from many locales and $35 get's you an all-day lift ticket, plus you can also buy a season pass for $120. Lift runs on the weekends from 10:00 - 6:00.

As for the trails themselves, there's a little something for everybody IMO...Pure gnarly DH runs (I mean they got some real rotor melting steeps), rim crushing rock gardens, jumps, skinnies / logrides, drops of various sizes, and the road gap of course...I would say it's definitely nice (but not required)to have a big bike, as it's rough as hell in places and most of the drops don't have much in the way of trannys...So while it would be grande if every drop had a 75 degree tranisition, that's what suspension is for

As many of you know, the trails were kinda screwed up last year, but Corby is now on the scene and making a huge difference...For those of you who don't know Corby, the guy is truly passionate about making fun trails and stunts - so get up to Wintergreen and give it a go...Btw, Corby is also very interested in getting feedback (good, bad, indifferent) so that he can continue to make improvements...Thus, it's a great opportunity to have some say in what goes on up there...

Props to Corby and Wintergreen!
(And for the record, Corby forcibly grabbed my hand at the last second during the road gap photo shoot )

http://www.wintergreenresort.com/activities/out_of_bounds.asp#mountainbiking

Pics Corb??

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
I've been there once this summer and I plan on doing it again. Yes, the place rocks. If they could build a 4X track and some DJs we would quit racing and spend all of our time there.
I wish I lived a little closer.
Anyone from ATL want to do a cannonball run one weekend before they close?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
jackalope said:
Just wanted to report that Wintergreen is in great form, and should be a desitination for all the mother huckers in this area...

A relatively easy drive from many locales and $35 get's you an all-day lift ticket, plus you can also buy a season pass for $120. Lift runs on the weekends from 10:00 - 6:00.

As for the trails themselves, there's a little something for everybody IMO...Pure gnarly DH runs (I mean they got some real rotor melting steeps), rim crushing rock gardens, jumps, skinnies / logrides, drops of various sizes, and the road gap of course...I would say it's definitely nice (but not required)to have a big bike, as it's rough as hell in places and most of the drops don't have much in the way of trannys...So while it would be grande if every drop had a 75 degree tranisition, that's what suspension is for

As many of you know, the trails were kinda screwed up last year, but Corby is now on the scene and making a huge difference...For those of you who don't know Corby, the guy is truly passionate about making fun trails and stunts - so get up to Wintergreen and give it a go...Btw, Corby is also very interested in getting feedback (good, bad, indifferent) so that he can continue to make improvements...Thus, it's a great opportunity to have some say in what goes on up there...

Props to Corby and Wintergreen!
(And for the record, Corby forcibly grabbed my hand at the last second during the road gap photo shoot )

http://www.wintergreenresort.com/activities/out_of_bounds.asp#mountainbiking

Pics Corb??
all the trails you're refering to are on the short mountain right? they haven't opened the big mountain of yet?

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
bizutch said:
all the trails you're refering to are on the short mountain right? they haven't opened the big mountain of yet?
There the same trails as in years past. There still not using the big side of the mountain.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^
Bucket is right - still the "small" side of the mountain...Mainly just cleaned up the trails and added a few sections here and there...Plus a few new stunts and drops...

However, it is Corby's stated goal to eventually get access to the whole mountain, but he needs a show of support to help convince the powers that be...

Btw, Butch - so is it basically been decided that the new upper section at Sugar is 'out' for the race? Boo hiss if true... :mumble:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
bizutch said:

Yeppers.............short runs. Very fun though because you're getting TONS of runs in per day. SO if you thought you sucked ass on the last run, there's no 30 minute ride to the top you have to wait out to correct any wrongs. That's why the race thay had there was so cool--right back up to the top quickly before you forgot about that line you were gonna remember to hit the next time. Obviously, longer runs would be the schiznit.....but what they have is really good. Go check it out.....it's worth it. :D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm thinking it might be cool to have a race there and have 2 runs on different courses with a combined time! That would be cool. Sport/Beginner have 2 courses on the right of the lift...and Expert/Pro 2 courses on the left with the same finish line.

I thinkt hat would be more tempting for people fromt he Northeast to make the trip...knowing that essentially they'll have a 5 minute plus course once combined.

coob0220

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
im in a glass case of emotion
i was thinking we should have a race all the way up the 7.2 mile loggers alley, except with a twist. you have to pedal up it on your dh bike, with full armor, and whoever makes it to the top wins

ps. that is a cool idea too combine two runs

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
bizutch said:
I'm thinking it might be cool to have a race there and have 2 runs on different courses with a combined time! That would be cool. Sport/Beginner have 2 courses on the right of the lift...and Expert/Pro 2 courses on the left with the same finish line.
NOW you like it. :nuts:

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
I'm thinking or making an express run up there one weekend soon. I'm in Chattanooga, have never rode any big stunts nor DH, and own nothing but XC gear...WoooHoooo!! (I think my father-in-laws still has one of those '70's easy-rider open faced motorcycle helmets lying around, though- I'll be set!)

coob0220

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
im in a glass case of emotion
just wanted to let everyone know, we put in a 5-6 foot drop next to the road gap, and this weekend ill finish the second drop right next to it, which from the bottom of the support beams to the lip of the ramp is 8 foot 6inches, so once i get the tranny in, it should be 9 to 12 feet depending on how fast you go off it. -coob

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
I posted some pics from the trip that prompted Jackalope's raves. They're edited so you can't figure out what the in-joke banter is about. Photo credit goes to some dude who works at Out-of-Bounds.

Me

Murphy

May 22, 2006
waynsesboro va.
Can anyone give me a current update on the wintergreen scene? Im looking at heading up there since I live less than 20minutes away...and I usually have no one to shuttle or ride with most the time. The sound of lifts to the top soulds nice for a change...

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
You need to go to the VA & surrounding area forum for the latest.

They are opening up and running a shuttle next month. Last year they didn't run the lift due to repairs and a lack of parts but the shuttle worked out good. Hopefully the lift will run this summer.

I'll be up there at least once or twice this year for sure. Fun trails.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Last year they didn't run the lift due to repairs and a lack of parts but the shuttle worked out good. Hopefully the lift will run this summer.

They were running the lifts later in the season. It wasn't super fast but it was running for sure.