Quantcast

wintergreen

Drew3178

Chimp
May 3, 2004
Baltimore
whats wrong with wintergreen, I see alot of hate?

DISCLAMER (dotn wanna get flamed!): ive never even been to wintergreen, was planning on going, but if you guys can give me a good reason not too, then I wont. ;)

Apr 29, 2004
culpeper VA
I've only been a couple of times lately, and I have no complaints, they have some huge stuff! Of course someone will always find somthing to complain about, they always do.

banche

Monkey
Jul 21, 2003
BANNED FOR LIFE
if you want to know the story do a search!!!! and yes i complain,and have every right too. all that Huge stuff was built by two very close friends of mine ,and myself over the last 2.5 years. you can ride it all you like,but you will be one of the few.
next time your up there ask how many of the oob employees ride dh, or even a mtb. bike for that matter.then ask how many of them own a mtb. bike. i can bet not one owns a dh bike or anything that would resemble one. BUT then ask them how many years of mtn. bike trail building experience they have!!!!

have fun be careful

Apr 29, 2004
culpeper VA
The stuff ya'll built is awesome, most of it is way out of my range of ablilities. but seriously what fun is riding in your abilities. So your compaining that no one uses it? I guess I'm confused on the issue. Last time we where there, watched guys nailing the stuff, and just stood in awe! Are you looking for trail help? I could probably arrange that. Lets here your bitch, I'd rather hear it straight from you then some interpreted story.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
For the love of god do a search.

In a nutshell. A few "core" riders built everything up there over the past 2-3 years, spending around 2500 hours and never getting paid a dime. Not even recognized as having anything to do with the program, basically bastard-children.

This year, the decided the don't want any "core" riders up there and don't want any of our help anymore. So the guys who put their heart and soul into the mountain were told not to come back. Brad was threatened to be arrested for slander.

Out of Bounds, who have NO EXPERIENCE what-so-ever, thinks they can build DH mountain bike trails just like we did. The stuff they do is absolutely pathetic and I will never ride it because I don't trust the building a good trail.

The guys were backed by Kurt Voreis who thought there could be a NORBA National or a World Cup there in a few short years. Apparently that's not enough.

WG also dropped the ball by not having the Jeep KOM event back.

To sum it up, it's total BS what they did. I will never support their program, and I'm quite certain not many other people will. We brought the riders to the mountain by word of mouth, meeting folks, and making friends, and we can just as easily tell our friends not to go anymore. To be perfectly honest, I don't think it's safe to have OOB building and maintaining the trails and stunts.

P.S. Is BANCE bitter, yes.

Apr 29, 2004
culpeper VA
Wow, so ya'll got screwed over. That sucks, and yeah, we could all boycott the place. however then we are all out, yet another place to ride. So either way, the rider looses. we're either supporting a corporation with no respect for the riders that established it. Or we are missing out on all the incredible **** that was built with your blood, and sweat.
I'd love to stand behind you guys, and publicly boycott them. Would they listen? Would they care? Or would they just tear it all down and say phuk off? what are ya'll doin with your mad trail building skills? New place, or just top secret. I could use your help in culpeper, I got 335 acres to play with, that we leased.
I also have some friends at IMBA, have they heard your story?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
IMBA isn't concerned with resort mtn biking.....

the trails are in horrible shape, the stunts that have been there for years are rotting, not safe.

the guys got screwed, we all got screwed, it's not safe to ride.

I would not recommend a trip there.....

just do a search you'll find more info than you can handle in one day.....

but all you really need to know is Wintergreen Sucks!

Snowshoe should be a awesome place to ride this year!

Apr 29, 2004
culpeper VA
I have to disagree, IMBA would want somthing to do with anything. Right now IMBA is pushing free ride trails, harder than anything else. Trying to define "freeride" and make stunts, a acceptable staple of built trails.
If the trails have gone to ****, IMBA should get involved, because they have the clout, to get the sh@t done. Instead of giving up, we should stand behind the one organization, that stands behind us. There is a right way to fight for what you want. If the trails are unsafe, and you make that public, and then IMBA can step in and establish, trail building guidelines, we could all win. Just a thought, its not really my fight I guess, then agian the fight belongs to all of us that ride.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Originally posted by squirrelonabike
I have to disagree, IMBA would want somthing to do with anything. Right now IMBA is pushing free ride trails, harder than anything else. Trying to define "freeride" and make stunts, a acceptable staple of built trails.
If the trails have gone to ****, IMBA should get involved, because they have the clout, to get the sh@t done. Instead of giving up, we should stand behind the one organization, that stands behind us. There is a right way to fight for what you want. If the trails are unsafe, and you make that public, and then IMBA can step in and establish, trail building guidelines, we could all win. Just a thought, its not really my fight I guess, then agian the fight belongs to all of us that ride.
I'll keep it simple..... I disagree...

you don't know the situation either, do your homework

edit: I don't disagree that IMBA is trying to do something good for freeriding!!! good on them!!!!

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I would disagree as well. There are issues that IMBA would not be of any help. I believe the guys proposed the latest Freeride Guide to the management and got shot down.

Honestly, I for one have given up. I don't want to ride anything that my buddies built, and then got shafted on. It's like cheating on your SO.

It sucks, but it looks like Snowshoe will reap the benefits.

Apr 29, 2004
culpeper VA
Ok, so you guys quit, and I don't have a clue whats going on got it. So I'll drop it, and jump on the band wagon "wintergreen sucks!" great. So now I'm boycotting a place that actually wants mtn bikers to come to it. Or so it seems? I understand you guys are fed up. This is deffinately a controversial topic. However if those stunts are unsafe, and they are sending me flyers asking me to send people up there, well then maybe I do need to find out more.
(so a little help here, where do I research? You guys keep saying do a search. I'm not real computer freindly, so could ya point me in the right direction)
I have people come to me asking where to go. I have the resorts coming to me asking me to send people to them. I also have the resorts asking me what they can do to attract people.
So if ya help me out, I'll do my homework.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Originally posted by squirrelonabike I also have the resorts asking me what they can do to attract people.
Well, for starters they...namely Wintergreen...could place the direction of their mountain biking program under someone who is in tune with the regional and national mountain biking community (i.e. Brad, Brian, and Kalan), someone who understands what it takes to attract a broad spectrum of riders - from beginner to advanced - to a mountain. You don't turn your back on the MTB community and expect droves of riders to show up. I haven't seen any kind of meaningful outreach to the local and regional MTB communites from the Wintergreen management. Even the visibility of their MTB program on their own website is negligible.

Contrast this to Snowshoe which has a dedicated MTB website, regular updates on this board and others regarding progress of trail construction, and most importantly openness to rider input and feedback on their trails - they seem genuinely interested in hearing what riders want and respond accordingly.

Matt D pretty much nailed it though in his post above.

so a little help here, where do I research? You guys keep saying do a search. I'm not real computer freindly, so could ya point me in the right direction

Attachments

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
Originally posted by DamienC
You don't turn your back on the MTB community and expect droves of riders to show up. I haven't seen any kind of meaningful outreach to the local and regional MTB communites from the Wintergreen management. ...
....I also think they mistakenly down-played the size of the "Monkey's" role in their success the past couple years. Word of mouth was quickly facilitated on these boards. Because there is now a strong bond between Brad, Brian (oh yeah.....& Kalan:D ) & the majority of monkeys represented in the region.....they may be hard pressed to find any participation save some from out of state.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Look at Mountain Creek. They are thriving because the guys that own Diablo are a couple 25 year olds who LOVE THE SPORT. They are semi-pro riders with a very good handle on where the sport is and where it's going, not some wanna-be's who have never riden bikes before and expect to make a quick buck.

But what do we know, we're just a bunch of criminals who BUILT THE FVCKING PARK FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention brought ALL the riders there.

WINTERGREEN: Why don't you comment on this topic? We all know you poach this board all the time and read every post that has something to do with "your" park. Why don't you man-up and say something, or do you need someone to speak for you as well as build your trails for you?

Apr 29, 2004
culpeper VA
A lot of the resorts don't even offer a mtn biking program. Snowshoe deffinately puts the effort where it belongs. Wintergreen however was the only place I know of that had stunts? Just the fact they let that happen is kinda cool. I'll start my homework now.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Not to keep beating this dead horse, but can't believe people continue to question the boycott. Hopefully those two pics will help.

Feb 26, 2002
Virginia
Ok, so you guys quit, and I don't have a clue whats going on got it. So I'll drop it, and jump on the band wagon "wintergreen sucks!" great. So now I'm boycotting a place that actually wants mtn bikers to come to it. Or so it seems? I understand you guys are fed up. This is deffinately a controversial topic. However if those stunts are unsafe, and they are sending me flyers asking me to send people up there, well then maybe I do need to find out more.
(so a little help here, where do I research? You guys keep saying do a search. I'm not real computer freindly, so could ya point me in the right direction)
I have people come to me asking where to go. I have the resorts coming to me asking me to send people to them. I also have the resorts asking me what they can do to attract people.
So if ya help me out, I'll do my homework.
I suggest you do a search, read up and then ask yourself "Should I support those who support our sport/lifestyle?"

dru

Chimp
Jun 1, 2005
va
I was there the past two weekends. I saw nothing unsafe.
Man these guys are pissed!
I can't blame them.
It's so dam close.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Man these guys are pissed!
It's so dam close.
Cant we all just get along.
Wintergreen must really be hurting for business...

It's funny how there are no new pictures of the trails. Hell, they don't even have a website up.

How the hell do they expect to pull in any kind of business?

*kicks the horse some more

coob0220

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
im in a glass case of emotion
you guys doin the bitchin need to get over it. move on, let it go. wintergreen is a cool place and the fact that you get on here and repeatedly down it is just pathetic. you sound like a bunch of little girls to me. sounds like the people who constantly boycott it shouldnt even be up there anyway. you guys are way too high strung. for anybody that wants to go to wintergreen, go. deceide for your self and dont have a bunch of teenagers talk you out of it. im sure ill get bitched at for this, but thats ok with me. im at wg every single weekend

coob0220

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
im in a glass case of emotion
you guys sound like you think your gods. if your so important to wg and dh biking in general, why do people still go to wg, my self for instance, i go every weekend, and granted the stunts are fun, but you sound like you want everybody to bow down to you. no thanks

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
coob0220 said:
you guys sound like you think your gods. if your so important to wg and dh biking in general, why do people still go to wg, my self for instance, i go every weekend, and granted the stunts are fun, but you sound like you want everybody to bow down to you. no thanks
lol

When you make assumptions, about things or people you know nothing about you just make an ass of yourself.

It's not about what you speak of at all.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
dru said:
Oh yeah? What about this double black diamond stunt? A guy could break a shoelace or WORSE if he wasn't too careful! :eek: I hope they at least put up a "CAUTION- EXPERTS ONLY!" sign far enough ahead of it so that no beginners like myself mistakenly find themself stranded at the top of it with no option but to pray, swallow hard and LAUNCH!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Gosh........I always thought Wintergreen was awesome cause of the work the original guys put into it. The runs were short, steep and fast. The lift got you to the top quickly, and you could get in tons of runs per day. Now I'm not exactly clear on all of the details of the rift that developed between the builders and management, and really I don't care. It's up to management to keep those guys happy and apparently that didn't happen. What I do care about is riding. Here you have a mountain that's perfectly suited to fun DH trails for weekend riding that's relatively close to a lot of riders and seems willing to try and mend some fences. On the other side of that fence is the ousted builders who have moved on and found other projects that make themselves and others very happy. Seems to me, the most logical thing to have happen, would be for someone to swallow some freakin' pride, and say "We almost had it right the first time around, but we f*cked it up. We've learned from that mistake and will take action to make sure it doesn't happen again." Conversly, the ousted ones could help the situation out by supressing negative vibes and letting riders form their own opinions without having to hear the spiel about how much things got f*cked up, how much it sucks......especially if someone wants to take the initiative to try a repair some of the bruised ego's and damaged trails <------don't forget that's what it's about in the end. Reflect some positive vibes and that's what will materialize. I for one, would be willing to drive the 2.5 hrs to do some work up there if it meant that Wintergreen could get off the ground and running again. It doesn't make sense to abandon something that people liked so much.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
The only reason they are trying to mend fences is because they fell flat on their faces. They thought they could run off the original builders and do things themselves. You are more than welcome to ride there. The problem is when people come on here talking about how great it is there. The trails are great there because they were not built by Wintergreen but the rest of the mountain sucks because of what they did. In other words ride there if you want to but quit praising Wintergreen because they did absolutely nothing and quit acting like the original builders need to get the chip off of their shoulders. The original builders have moved on to better things and none of them have responded to anything said on here in a long time.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
Obviously it's that time of year again, WG making the headlines as usual. But for God sakes this thread is over a year old, let it die....... :dead:

T

The Misfit

Many years ago the National Forest Service decided to parcel out 10,000 acres of land from the George Washington National Forest. The terms were such that no corporate or business entity could purchase the land, it was to be sold to private individuals in 100 acre parcels selling for $1000.00 each. A group of investors covertly formed a consortium and purchased all the parcels for a total of $100,000.00 and then later formed the wintergreen partners association. They were basically scumbags that stole the land from the NFS and then opened their ski resort and golf courses, employed their own police force and underpaid all of the local population in the second poorest county in the state.

T

The Misfit

On the upside, if you drop down into the Shenandoah Valley on state route 664 you will come to a town called Sherando, a scant 5 miles from wintergreen. Just past Sherando grocery you will see the entrance for an area of National Forest called "Big Levels" 30,000 acres of trails, logging roads, fire roads, hiking/biking trails and many great swimming holes, free camping. You might see 10 people all day long.

With all of the awesome and wonderful National Forest areas we have in Virginia, why limit ourselves to such a small insignificant specks like wintergreen and massanutten. The talented crew that built for wintergreen saw the partners assoc. for what it was and moved to greener pastures, a good move on their part.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
coob0220 said:
No, there is no indication they are Gods. It’s an indication that they did a boatload of work, namely 99.9% of it. They made sure that grumpy old new comers like myself was not only welcomed there, but was helped with learning the sport, with a wrench, loaning equipment when someone’s broke stopping on the way down to wait on slower folks like myself.

I miss the guys that I met up there. My current situation does not afford me the opportunity to go to Snow Shoe. The lack of any professional let alone any personal courtesy or consideration to the patrons shows a complete lack of understanding of a resort, forgetting that it’s the people that drive their business. The community and friendships forged out there spilled over to RM, furthering the free advertising the resort.

So typical of a corporation taking advantage of a situation, with no repercussions to them at all. Minimal overhead to build trails on their end, as I’ve heard most out there offer to volunteer, including myself.

My wife, who at the time turned 49, celebrated her birthday by riding DH for the first time out there. All of the “regulars” that now disassociated themselves from the resort, not only made her feel welcomed, they outfitted her with a bike, equipment, tips and an overall great experience, for nothing. They did not once ask for anything in return. They did it out of love for the sport and a caring of the people who rode there.

That is an indication of a commitment to a sport, and it showed.

My hats off to them.