Quantcast

Winthrop Riding?

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I'm going to be in the Winthrop area at the end of June for a few days on a family vacation and was wondering what there is to ride. I'm going to bring my DH and trail bike so any thing is good.
Thanks

scotteric

Chimp
May 11, 2004
seattle
i've been riding out there for years and all i've ever found was xc. some good xc but xc nonetheless. your dh bike will be overkill unless you dont mind pedalling it up logging roads or pushing up trails. that being said there are a couple shuttle possibilities: starvation mountain is one and the other i cant remember right now but s.m. is accessable off the top via logging roads. you then get about 12 miles of descending on mostly downhill but non-tech trail. mostly the bluebuck trail. i usually pedal/push up bluebuck and then turn around b/c its the funnest of the whole s.m. loop. another good push/pedal out and back is north 20 mile. you get up over 7000 feet and the trail is def. one of the gnarliest in the methow and its around 10 miles one way. none of the locals i've talked to ever ride this trail though so PM me if you want more details. to sum it up i think the methow/winthrop is stuck in a mid-90's timewarp as far as mt. biking is concerned. i enjoy riding there but not on the trails the shops usually try and point you towards. dont forget your purple bar-ends..........

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Thanks for the info. I was planning on bringing both bikes because I think I'm going to go home through Leavenworth and the big bike will be better there, but I figured the XC bike would be better in Winthrop.