Quantcast

Wolf Laurel Race Announcement!!!

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
Just got this from Ryan:

This summer WolfRidge Ski Resort, aka Wolf Laurel, will play host to 3 slalom races and the WNC DH champs!

Slalom 1- June 2nd or 9th, will secure date this week.
Slalom 2- July 21st
DH Champs and slalom final- Aug 11th.

Cash paid to pros, swag to ams. Meals included in entry fees, which will be reasonable. Plenty of lodging at the resort cabins. New courses with a different flavor thrown in for you!

Spread the word, as the attendance to the races will greatly impact the possibility that the resort will open a full-scale bike park in 2008.

There will be more details coming in the meantime, if you would like to be put on the mailing list, send an email to Ryan at mbrp07@yahoo.com

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Just got this from Ryan:

This summer WolfRidge Ski Resort, aka Wolf Laurel, will play host to 3 slalom races and the WNC DH champs!

Slalom 2- July 21st

Cash paid to pros, swag to ams. Meals included in entry fees, which will be reasonable. Plenty of lodging at the resort cabins. New courses with a different flavor thrown in for you!

Spread the word, as the attendance to the races will greatly impact the possibility that the resort will open a full-scale bike park in 2008.
So 3 different Slalom races and only 1 DH race? I am very happy to get any racing up there, but why don't they have 3 DH races too? They have people that will help make this happen if they want too. They wil pull in twice as many riders with both a DH race and DS race on all 3 weekends.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Make the slalom free to beginners and first timers and they will come.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
props to ryan.

there you have it folks.
he's up there doing the work.

now it's up to ya'll to make it worth his effort.
and it sounds like, if you do just that.
there will be a new permanent place to ride downhill.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
More info from Ryan:

Wolf's new slopes have a perfect slalom location and we are trying to build that format b/c it offers such good spectating for the vacationers to the resort AND so much development is going on that there will only be one chance to use any dh routes on the entire mtn- pretty crazy. We may have a 2nd fall DH race but there is no gaurantee of that. We will need people to spread the word and volunteer to polish the DS and DH courses. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Ryan

Basher

Monkey
May 8, 2007
Hicktown, NC
"Spread the word, as the attendance to the races will greatly impact the possibility that the resort will open a full-scale bike park in 2008."
While I'm no racer that's an idea I'll support 100%. I just checked their site but don't see anything about MTBing. Only been to that place once this past winter to board and it's a sweet little place with loads of potential. Do they have lift access during the summer?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
More info from Ryan:

Wolf's new slopes have a perfect slalom location and we are trying to build that format b/c it offers such good spectating for the vacationers to the resort AND so much development is going on that there will only be one chance to use any dh routes on the entire mtn- pretty crazy. We may have a 2nd fall DH race but there is no gaurantee of that. We will need people to spread the word and volunteer to polish the DS and DH courses. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Ryan
sounds like he's got a good thing going.
and he may be developing what's the most sensible form of riding to get riders to start riding there.

if the places lends itself easily to building slalom tracks.
then build em.
get the rider base and stoke built up.
then begin exspansion of the downhill trail system.

one d.h. race a year is much better than no d.h. race a year.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
"Spread the word, as the attendance to the races will greatly impact the possibility that the resort will open a full-scale bike park in 2008."

Do they have lift access during the summer?

They currently don't, but you answered your question for 08.

I'll be there no matter what. I suck at gated racing, but I can't think of much better than helping Ryan (ans all of us) out on this one.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
While I'm no racer that's an idea I'll support 100%. I just checked their site but don't see anything about MTBing. Only been to that place once this past winter to board and it's a sweet little place with loads of potential. Do they have lift access during the summer?
Only for the past few races we put on up there. The old DH runs we put in up there are so fun!!!!!!!! I hope to see all 3 runs back up for 2008 and more. I'll be there for all 3....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Plus there will be more elevation to boot. :busted:
true. When I drove up the new access road (very scary road) for that new lodge, it was my first thought. But I also saw it littered with "lot for sale" signs. The new owner indicated that they do have a long term development scheme so that they know where they can and can't go long term with building projects, trail, housing and slope.

I truly hope Ryan succeeds up there. I'm bitter and hopeful at the same time. I don't know anyone else willing to make it their full time job.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Nice!

Interesting that they are including meals with the entry fee :confused: is there no where to eat up there?

Are the races gonna be NORBA do you know? I've always wanted to try a slalom race, but, because NORBA hates everyone, since I have a license for Expert DH, I have to race expert slalom as well. ghey!

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
I'll be there no matter what. I suck at gated racing, but I can't think of much better than helping Ryan (ans all of us) out on this one.
well put. everyone that has any interest in a new DH park in the south needs to show up at this series even if you can't turn a bike around a gate in the ground to save your life.... every single head that shows up is one more reason for them to open up for 08. I will definitely be at the first and third race. I'd make all 3, but the second is the same weekend as the National Championships @ Mt Snow

Also in response to BigMike, Norba has changed that. DH is a seperate category from Dual Slalom/Mountaincross now so you could register in sport i believe.

hey will the DH and DS be on the same day? or will it be a saturday DS, sunday DH kinda thing?

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Cost for lodging and costs in general....? (I don't have email access at work....)
My info is a few years old, basically from the last Wolf race, but the lodging was very reasonable. And they have a hostel type place where you pay for a bunk. Real cheap.
I don't think I'm allowed in there anymore.:twitch:

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
This is really good news. I was going to sell my slalom bike and be like norba, act like slalom doesn't exist.

Now I won't slit my wrists and wear dark clothes.

Is this going to be a norba deal or will Ryan circumvent(sorry for the big word, Brady) them ala Clemson?

My info is a few years old, basically from the last Wolf race, but the lodging was very reasonable. And they have a hostel type place where you pay for a bunk. Real cheap.
It was Casa De La Sh!thole, and it was like $30, as many as you could cram in the room. Casa probably isn't there anymore, and it sounds like it would be at the wrong side anyway. The rooms are/were great though. The building just looked haggard.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Thanks. And, based on your response, its a fun time...:brows:

:biggrin:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
every race at Wolf was a fun time. Attendance grew at every single race. Imagine getting to ride your bike on a mountain where you can't seem to find a single rock during your whole run, but you're on your brakes from the second you start.

Big braking bumps, roots, off camber....loam, grease, one time plumes of dusty mulch.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
every race at Wolf was a fun time. Attendance grew at every single race. Imagine getting to ride your bike on a mountain where you can't seem to find a single rock during your whole run, but you're on your brakes from the second you start.
No Rocks?! I thought this was East Coast racing!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
No Rocks?! I thought this was East Coast racing!
yup. It was a rock quarry in it's past life. Don't ask me how...but they aren't anywhere. But I'm telling you...not a person who ever rode the courses we built complained...well...except Kentucky Fatman. Don't think he ever found that complaint box....

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i think i know where they dumped all those rocks.
and i can't thank them enough.

it's great to see some effort being put back into that place.
if it turns out to be succesful and people ride there on a regular basis,
maybe sugar will see the light.

not that i'm bored with what we have here, but it'd be nice to have other places to ride lift access trails without having to drive six hours to snowshoe.

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
Slalom 2- July 21st
Anyone know if they have decided on a date for the first slalom race at WolfRidge ? I have my fingers crossed it's going to be on the second...???

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
Heads up to anyone making plans upon the above posted Wolferidge race schedule. It appears that it's going to change to prevent conflicts with other events.

revised tentative schedule:
first: June 23
second: July 7
finals: August 18

I'm only relaying what i received in an email from Ryan today and the official word on the event schedule is still to come.

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
even if that revised schedule is tentative, it kicks serious donkey balls!!!!!! not a conflict with any single date. Thanks a million Ryan, if those get set in stone, i'll be there for all 3 of them!! that means there will be 5 serious dual slalom races all with in weeks of each other up and down the east coast. i'm soooo excited about the way this race season is turning out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!