Quantcast

Women Friendly DH Spd Shoes

StaceyO

Chimp
Feb 9, 2004
Michigan
Hi all,

My Shimanos are wearing out from a couple of tough DH seasons. Now I'm trying to hunt down another pair of DH worthy shoes.

I've tried the SixSixOne Attack (way too narrow), and I have a pair of Sidi's (arch in wrong place). I was anxious to get my hands on a pair of the Adidas Hematoma but unfortunately they only size down to a 39 :( So I'm looking to the Mud Hunnies for some shoe shopping help - any ideas?

Thanks,

Stacey

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
For starters, I am a guy, but this still might help.
Are you using platform-style spd pedasl, like Shimano 545/646 or Cook Bros Mallets? For pedals like that, I use BMX style clipless shoes. The soles are almost smooth, so there are no treads to get hung up on the pedal. Also, they are much more flexable than a regular xc spd shoe, so your weight is supported by the entire pedal. Also, because I am standing on the cage, I run the release tension almost all the way loose. This makes getting in and out a breeze. When I ride xc, I ride Normal spd pedals with the release tension much tighter. Having the shoe sole sitting on the cage make accidental release less likely.
My gf has very low arches and likes the Specialized Body geometry for xc. She recently switched to the wide Sidi's w/ footbeds. For dh, she uses an old entry-level pair of shoes b/c they fit/flex more like a sneaker. DH tends to quickly destroy nice stiff spd shoes.

grizgal

Chimp
Dec 5, 2003
somerville
Hi. Yes, I just got a pair of Hematoma's and they're amazing. Unfortunately they don't come small enough this year (maybe they'll change for 05.) There's another shoe I haven't tried, but that looks good - the Specialized Sawpit. Very similar to the Hematoma and it comes in small sizes. There's a new Shimano shoe out this season that also looks good and comes in small sizes - the MP66. It has ankly protection and lace covers - pretty good looking too. If you have any q's about any of these PM me - I'm a buyer at a bike shop so i can tell you availability etc... Hope this helps.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I just got a pair of women's AXO shoes I'm going to try for DH this year. So far I've only been on XC rides with them, but they seem comfortable and supportive so far and don't interfere with my Mallet C's.

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
I use more of an XC-type shoe for both DH and BMX. Last year I ran the Answer XC1's and really like them. This year I'm switching to Hematoma's, so we'll see how they stack up.:D

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i just got a pair of those 661 attacks and they are the most uncomfortable shoe i have ever put on my foot. i am looking at the shimano sh-mp66 mtb shoe. i like more tennis shoe type shoes. right now i am using my 10$ pair of specialized bmx shoes. i love them. i wear them when im not on my bike.

StaceyO

Chimp
Feb 9, 2004
Michigan
Laura - did you find the Attacks to be CRAZY narrow up in the toe box? That was my problem, I could hardly get the things on let alone ride in them!! I ended up buying some of last years Specialized Women's Mtn Comp - but after a few rides in them decided they feel too big - I think I'm too picky :)

I definitely like the XC type shoe better, it seems to help me w/lower leg fatigue. DHjill how do the XC-1's fit? Are they wider or narrow in the toe? Not sure what I'm gonna try next.

Stacey

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Originally posted by StaceyO
Laura - did you find the Attacks to be CRAZY narrow up in the toe box? That was my problem, I could hardly get the things on let alone ride in them!! I ended up buying some of last years Specialized Women's Mtn Comp - but after a few rides in them decided they feel too big - I think I'm too picky :)

Stacey

yes i did find them to be very narrow. they pinched my toesreally badly. that and they felt like they were made out of cardboard. no padding at all. i walk my bike a lot so i have to have really comfortable shoes. my specialized shoes are big and padded. sort of like skate shoes. super comfy.