Quantcast

women in combat

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Not when said studies are contradicted by actual experience.
They're not contradicted. They're irrelevent.

This thread has been arguing two different points for the last 13 pages, and if OMGF hasn't caught that yet there is no way he's going to. At this stage, it's not worth it. I know where OMGF is coming from, and I like him, and this thread isn't going anywhere.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
You've absolutely got to be kidding? Is your skin so f'ing thin that my ignoring your PM has left you feeling vulnerable to attack here? Or that I started a thread about a duplicated custom title (that degregated into discussions about bbq and MMike's sexual preferences)? Is Westy part of the "We hate OMGF club" as well?
Don't try to rewrite history. You've based multiple attacks at me, which I already said and you are conveniently ignoring now. You'll also note that I only mentioned that you ignored the PM, not that it had any bearing on anything.

Edit: And, the purpose of that PM was to try and figure out our differences so that we could have rational discussions. I don't care whether you like me or not, I simply want to be able to post here without automatically having personal attacks thrown at me for no reason.

I didn't respond to your PM because I didn't see the point. Much like this thread I find you to be wholely and completely incapable of grasping those views, and the reasons for them, that differ even in the slightest from your own. Its amazing how quickly you will roll into passive aggressive personal attacks when really pushed or that there might be just a chance that you maybe wrong.

It's the internet, come on man sack up for God's sake. Oh sorry you don't believe in God, so just sack up.
And, it's amazing to me how quickly you and others fall into the same patterns that you so vehemently accuse others of.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Out of the three studies that were cited, I found nothing about the effectiveness boost that the GCF would receive, so it's kind of all semantic at this point. I also found nothing saying that, under highly stressful situations, men and women would interact in the same general way that men and men would interact in. With MikeD's real world experience to go off of (and my logical conclusions), I'd say that equates to more people dying while this proposed integration happens.
Perhaps you should read more carefully.

I found these findings (heh...) troubling due this reason:

1.) People dying is no easy thing to take. Do you think the number of American service people dying in Iraq right now is ok? Do you want to take a risk on more people dying? Are you going to be the one notifying families?
No, of course I don't think people should be dying in Iraq, which is one reason I've never supported the war. It's why I say that I can support the troops even though I don't support the war. What has this to do with the price of tea in China, except that you've a priori assumed that women in GCF will get people killed?

When you stretch people to the breaking point (i.e. combat), wierd things happen that can't be studied, and put in a report, until they happen. Would you like to be in the intial test phase to see how it comes out? Would you like MG to be in the initial test phase? MG, would you volunteer to be in this intial test group with the knowledge that you'd be on the front lines where one small, misplaced smile could leave you in a black plastic bag waiting for the long flight home?
Melodramatic? If I were in a position to select people for a mission, I would want the best person available, period. If I have a woman that I think can do the job better than a man, I'm taking the woman.

It's all fine to talk about it with the knowledge that you'll never have to do anything about it, but quite another when you start opening your mind to all the opportunities to f*ck up.
True, I'm not in that position, so it's all talk. But, I don't conclude that having a penis makes one a better soldier, and when it comes down to it, I want the best people around me to protect my ass. If you have a priori assumptions that men are automatically the best, then I can see why you would only take men.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Alright, we'll call it a draw.
I don't care what you call it.

Look, what you've said might have all been in jest, but it was not perceived that way. So, the spirit it was given was not the spirit it was received. You can either understand that and move on or you can call me stupid for not being able to discern your meaning at all times when not having the benefit of tone of voice, facial expression, body language, etc. to judge what your intent is.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
They're not contradicted. They're irrelevent.

This thread has been arguing two different points for the last 13 pages, and if OMGF hasn't caught that yet there is no way he's going to. At this stage, it's not worth it. I know where OMGF is coming from, and I like him, and this thread isn't going anywhere.
I'm not the only one who hasn't caught that yet.

I see what you are saying. I disagree with your position, but I think you're right that neither side is going to understand where the other is coming from.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Look, what you've said might have all been in jest, but it was not perceived that way. So, the spirit it was given was not the spirit it was received. You can either understand that and move on or you can call me stupid for not being able to discern your meaning at all times when not having the benefit of tone of voice, facial expression, body language, etc. to judge what your intent is.
Huh?

I've never called you stupid. The post in this thread I specifically stated was intended in a sarcastic manner because I wasn't sure if that'd be picked up on. There was no name calling. As far as the custom title bit goes... Well, stupidity doesn't enter into it, but you did let your personal issues with DRB color what were otherwise very innocuous posts. Stuff like this:
Exactly what are you supposed to do when one of them tells you to go right and one of them tells you to go left? Then it has to be left up to the Monkey and it turns into anarchy and the next thing you know Piggy is dead. Is that what you want? Because that's where we are headed.....
...is clearly not written with any deep malice.

lugnuts

Monkey
May 2, 2002
maine
Soooo speaking of women in the military, what do you think about this?

Iran 'to release' female sailor
Iran says it will release "very soon" a British female sailor who was seized with 14 male navy colleagues last week. Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said Faye Turney would be released on Wednesday or Thursday.
Why does the female sailor get released, huh? Do you think that the Iranians are freeing her because the other 14 she was captured with are fighting over who gets to bone her rather than concentrating on being the most professional prisoners for the job?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Soooo speaking of women in the military, what do you think about this?

Iran 'to release' female sailor

Why does the female sailor get released, huh? Do you think that the Iranians are freeing her because the other 14 she was captured with are fighting over who gets to bone her rather than concentrating on being the most professional prisoners for the job?
No, I think they are releasing her due to the (incorrectly) increased pressure over women captives. In our patriarchal culture, we value women's lives more than men in certain perverse situations, while doing the exact opposite in others. We're funny that way.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Huh?

I've never called you stupid. The post in this thread I specifically stated was intended in a sarcastic manner because I wasn't sure if that'd be picked up on. There was no name calling. As far as the custom title bit goes... Well, stupidity doesn't enter into it, but you did let your personal issues with DRB color what were otherwise very innocuous posts. Stuff like this:

...is clearly not written with any deep malice.
Look, I have no desire to fight about this, I simply wanted to let you know that I wasn't in on the joke. That's all.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
  • she needs a tampon
  • to save her from getting raped by her "co-workers"
  • she won't stop crying
  • their big & tall store is out of XXL burqas

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Melodramatic? If I were in a position to select people for a mission, I would want the best person available, period. If I have a woman that I think can do the job better than a man, I'm taking the woman.
These aren't Rambo "missions", combat is a team effort, and in a team most capable does not mean best person. The most important part of being in combat is not in being able to physically do the job.

True, I'm not in that position, so it's all talk. But, I don't conclude that having a penis makes one a better soldier, and when it comes down to it, I want the best people around me to protect my ass. If you have a priori assumptions that men are automatically the best, then I can see why you would only take men.
It has nothing to do with the best person, it has to do with the right team. And no, your "team building" excersices you run at your office are no indicator of how things are, or would be, in a combat unit.

No, I think they are releasing her due to the (incorrectly) increased pressure over women captives. In our patriarchal culture, we value women's lives more than men in certain perverse situations, while doing the exact opposite in others. We're funny that way.
You do realize that you have just stated one of the primary reasons as to why women are a bad idea in a mixed gender combat unit. Too bad you are incapable of grasping that concept it seems.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
These aren't Rambo "missions", combat is a team effort, and in a team most capable does not mean best person. The most important part of being in combat is not in being able to physically do the job.

It has nothing to do with the best person, it has to do with the right team. And no, your "team building" excersices you run at your office are no indicator of how things are, or would be, in a combat unit.
I'm not going to rehash old arguments anymore for you (this is what, the third time you've asked me to do that?)

You do realize that you have just stated one of the primary reasons as to why women are a bad idea in a mixed gender combat unit. Too bad you are incapable of grasping that concept it seems.
What, patriarchal values? Thank you for proving my point.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
If I were in a position to select people for a mission, I would want the best person available, period.
well slap my ass & call me sally: you are for having ex-cons serve in combat (and everyone else who i've previously enumerated yet who are discriminated against).

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Uh, I hope you and OMGF both recognized I was simply making a sarcastic comment on his very nasty and aggressive personal attack - it was worded in the exact same way he worded his.

Maybe that wasn't obvious enough. It wasn't intended as a real attack at him or at MudGrrl.

My edit I fully stand by, though, OMGF. You're drawing some bizarr-o conclusions from MikeD's very rational and cohesive posts. I've read the thread a couple times now and there's literally nothing in his posts that should push you towards the labels you're putting on him.
..nope just agreeing with you...some people have a hard time deciding to agree to disagree...D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
You know, that's not such a bad idea!
Good Lord... next thing you'll start lauching personal attacks at people, complaining about your title, bitching that everyone is picking on you, and finally become the second incarnation of the Black Knight (or is it the third).

Sounds like we might have already had some females in the Marine infantry.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The iranians support females in combat too. Of all the captured Brits only the female has issued an apology to iran for supposedly violating their territory. She's also wearing a burka in the video. Spineless pvssy. :monkey:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
The iranians support females in combat too. Of all the captured Brits only the female has issued an apology to iran for supposedly violating their territory. She's also wearing a burka in the video. Spineless pvssy. :monkey:
interesting observation.
if the best military is one that can end wars quickly, why not have an all female fighting force?