Quantcast

Wooden DJ ramp questions

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
This winter, when the trails are covered in snow and/or mud, my GF and I want to practice DJ'ing in our back yard. I don't want to haul in dirt (my house and yard are too nice for that), but a semi-mobile wooden ramp would work out, and match the skinnies I plan on building back there.

I used to build wooden kicker ramps and half-pipes when I was a skate rat, and I spent many years working as a carpenter, so construction skills and tools are not an issue.

My questions are as follows. Please remember, we're just starting out with the DJ thing and we'll be riding mountain bikes, so I don't want to go too big:

1) What should the profile be? Should it have a lip? I'm assuming rounded transition. Should I just try to mimic a dirt DJ ramp?

2) Construction techniques? I would guess typical quarter-pipe construction design with plywood ramp surface. Would something else be better? Should I put angle-iron on the lip?

3) Configuration? I think I'd like to build a platform in between, 'cuz the gap jumps freak out my GF a little too much (at least until she gets more confident).

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I would just make a standard box jump.

you can make it in three pieces so you have a lip (quarterpipe), deck and landing.

I would make it four feet tall. this is plenty large to learn to jump and you can learn any stunts you may want on it. and plywood is four feet wide so it's easier to build as well.

you can make the lip/quarterpipe four feet wide if you want but why not make it 8 feet wide so you can mess around w/ lip tricks and whatnot.

but don't forget, wet wood is FREAKIN' SLICK.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Yeah, it should have a lip.

Typical quarter pipe construction is also correct, but leave the coping off, obviously.

Yeah, what you're describing is a jump box... I dunno how big you want to go, but definitely a platform between them... casing a wooden landing or, even worse bailing out and landing on the edge of a landing ramp? Owie.

I'll try to get some shots and measurements of the box rhythm at the park when I leave work in a few minutes.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Definitely a lip! If you can rock a lip you can rock anything.

I built a nice one this year, but damn if I'm not drunk right now and completely unmotivated to go find the thread with the plans :D

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Thanks for all the info, guys. I'll definitely check out that website.

Originally posted by pnj
but don't forget, wet wood is FREAKIN' SLICK.
How do you think it would work if I used a staple gun to lay down chickenwire on the ramp, box, and landing? Would that be super funky and lame? It obviously works with wet logs. I guess it'll shred me when I beef it.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by gorgechris
Thanks for all the info, guys. I'll definitely check out that website.

How do you think it would work if I used a staple gun to lay down chickenwire on the ramp, box, and landing? Would that be super funky and lame? It obviously works with wet logs. I guess it'll shred me when I beef it.
but on wet logs your not hauling ass and landing on them. falling once on chicken wire at speed won't be fun.

paint the ramp and while the paint is still wet, throw sand on it.

ANYTHING you use to make the surface not slick is not going to be fun to fall on but metal chicken wire would be much less fun then sand in paint.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
When Woodward originally installed ramps, they were apparently super-slick to the point of being almost unrideable.

They mixed a bag of sugar in their mop buckets and coated the ramps with that.

Now, don't get me wrong... sand in the paint would work, but wouldn't it be like falling on sandpaper? Owwie.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by RandomV
When Woodward originally installed ramps, they were apparently super-slick to the point of being almost unrideable.

They mixed a bag of sugar in their mop buckets and coated the ramps with that.

Now, don't get me wrong... sand in the paint would work, but wouldn't it be like falling on sandpaper? Owwie.
sugar is a good way to make a surface non slick. but if the ramps are outdoors, in the winter, it won't do much good.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by allsk8sno
why not just cover it with a tarp?
you'll want to keep it dry so the wood lasts anyways.
Yeah, that's probably the best idea. However, I'll think about painting it w/ sand, because even if it's not raining, my lawn may still be a little damp, and the tires will track some water and dirt onto it.