Quantcast

Wooden jump Sealent?

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
So I want a nice size jump at my house, but it needs to be wooden because I’m renting. I’ve got a great roll-in from the road, so I’m starting to build this to put in.

I’d like to be able to just pull the pieces to the side (out of the way) when I’m not using it. I really don’t want to mess with a tarp to keep them covered. So is there anything good I can seal the exposed wood with and still have a good landing? I’m not worried too much on the lip, but the landing is what I’m concerned with.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
I'll take critiques too. I'm thinking about a little steeper landing, and making the lip just a couple inches shorter than the landing so I can stuff it under it for storage.

Thanks!

wood landings suck unless you tranny out the bottom. you will suffer many a harsh landings when you hit the landing and then hit the ground so fast back to back. if you steepen it up, you will have plenty of OTB's when you transfer to the ground without a transition. after you make it wide enough and long enough to land on (which will be quite large unless you never plan on tricking off it and only jumping totally straight) it will not be portable (unless you call 4-5 peeps helping move it portable)
every attempt at building a landing tranny that i have seen turns out to be so darn big, the only place to play with it in in the front yard....

there are a million and one natural trannies waiting to be used as a landing as we speak, all you need to do is simply go outside to see them.....

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
i think he said it needed to be wood coz hes renting his house, but wch is right, nat. trannies ride better and you need to tranny out a wodoen landing, speaking form experience

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
thanks for the tips, I'm going to throw a radius in the landing and see how that looks.

Yeah I'd really love to use a natural or built dirt tranny, but I just can't because I'm renting. This is just so I can get my jolly's off at home.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Okay I took the lip down a couple inches, that way I’ll be able to turn it around and tuck it under the landing for storage.

I took the width of the landing down from 8 foot to 6 foot, for weight savings, made the landing angle steeper and added a 10 foot radius on the bottom third for smooth transition to land.

Not sure what I’m going to do to seal it up yet, either outdoor paint or water sealer. The pressure treated plywood is on the pricey side, $25 a sheet. But either way I’m going to add sand into the landing area to gain a little traction back.

I’ll throw up some pics in a couple weeks when I get it together, and hopefully all is good.