Quantcast

Woodman Bill SS hub owners...

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I'm lookin for a cassette SS disc hub for DJ's and the like. I have a couple of questions:

How is the engagement? How many points?

Do the bearings require constant adjustment?

And finally, how does it sound? I like louder hubs.

I've heard good things about this hub, and it is not too expensive.

Thanks, -Chris

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Save some cash and get the Nashbar hub. It's the exact same hub as the Woodman (and On-One, and Novatec). Engagement is acceptable, not super-fast like some out there, but no worse than anything I've ridden before. I've been riding this hub all season and I've never had to adjust the bearings. It sounds like a hub...not sure why it matters. My only complaint is the weight, it's a bit on the heavy side. On the other hand, it doesn't weigh any more than the Shimano hub with a full cassette that I used to ride.

Here's a thread on SS cassette hubs.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I would get the nashbar hub, but I have a 32 hole rim waiting to be laced up and it only comes in 36 hole. As far as the sound goes, you can have a king/hadley like "angry bee" noise, or shimano quiet sound. I just happen to prefer the former, I think freehubs sound nice so I want to be able to hear mine.:biggrin:

vwmtnbiker

Monkey
May 15, 2004
manasscrack
not sure exactly how many engagement points it has but i KNOW its more than ****mano. i've had mine for 2 years now...NO complaints at all except its a freakin tank. freehub was quiet when i got it but it has progressively gotten louder as the years go by...now its louder than my xt but definitely quieter than hadly/king. for dj/fr stuff this is the shizzy.